MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calculator JustinL First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-22-2013 11:02 AM
Graphing Calculator nkollan General Discussion 1 02-05-2012 10:19 PM
calculator cjdzl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-26-2010 10:17 PM
Calculator MohitB First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 08-28-2008 07:01 PM

Calculator

Old 06-28-2014 at 02:06 PM   #1
noryev

Liked: 0 Times

Calculator
The mac website says over and over again that students can only use the fx-991. This being said they link to a fx-991MS PLUS (whatever that means).
I already use the fx-991ES PLUS C. My question is do these letters at the end matter or is it just as long as you have some sort of fx-991?
Old 06-28-2014 at 02:15 PM   #2
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

As you can see on the Bookstore website where they sell the calculator, they are selling the FX-991MS Plus, and it states that it is the official calculator.

http://www.bookstore.mcmaste r.ca/c...1%20Calculator

So the PLUS is fine.

Main point is they don't want a calculator that is programmable where you could code in some cheat notes or something like that.
Old 06-28-2014 at 09:31 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by noryev View Post
The mac website says over and over again that students can only use the fx-991. This being said they link to a fx-991MS PLUS (whatever that means).
I already use the fx-991ES PLUS C. My question is do these letters at the end matter or is it just as long as you have some sort of fx-991?
In my experience, it depends on the invigilator. I think technically the ES is allowed, but since it's not the "official" calculator, sometimes people run into issues. My advice is to just get the MS PLUS to save yourself any headaches (including not being allowed to use your calculator in an exam) later on.
Old 06-29-2014 at 07:07 AM   #4
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

They have a picture of the "official" calculator model at the exam site for reference by the invigiliator(s). If it doesn't look right, you could run the risk of having it excluded. In my experience, it seems a bit silly to have to buy a calculator for the exam, when I would normally set such things up to work in Excel anyway.
Old 06-29-2014 at 08:45 AM   #5
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

I had an ES , some exam invigilators would cause trouble. I'd be like no I've been told this was allowed . Had to have another invigilator come and over step. More headache than needed.
Old 06-29-2014 at 10:07 AM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Yea depends. Had a friend with 991 non ms and invigilaotr was all over that =.=
Old 06-29-2014 at 10:07 AM   #7
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Official calculator is 20 bucks. Just buy it and use ur other calc as a backup. If you fail a course because you werent allowed to use your calculator on the exam you will end up losing a lot more.