MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you want from a Humanities/Soc Sci TA lorend Academics 22 08-12-2010 07:59 AM
Humanities luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-17-2010 06:25 AM
McMaster Humanities Society Wine and Cheese! laurastevens MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-03-2010 09:51 PM
Oh the HUMANITIES! DannyV Academics 6 08-03-2009 10:48 AM
McMaster Humanities Annual Formal Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-29-2007 04:39 PM

McMaster Humanities '16

Old 05-21-2011 at 11:26 PM   #31
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
Adelle and Aelya, brought together by cats and arts
My sphinx cat is no more The bird is a lot happier now that there isn't a creepy snake-cat hybrid freaking him out all the time, though... Visitors are probably happy about that, too.
Old 05-21-2011 at 11:34 PM   #32
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
My sphinx cat is no more The bird is a lot happier now that there isn't a creepy snake-cat hybrid freaking him out all the time, though... Visitors are probably happy about that, too.

You can play with Jingles. You are official god-parent

alh24 says thanks to AelyaS for this post.
Old 05-21-2011 at 11:39 PM   #33
alh24
Elite Member

It's going to be funny when all of the posts made for the past few hours get removed due to irrelevance to the thread topic. I'm used to it. I think half of all my posts have been removed for that reason.

It's weird that Rakim isn't here to derail it with me. He's missing out.
Old 05-21-2011 at 11:44 PM   #34
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
It's going to be funny when all of the posts made for the past few hours get removed due to irrelevance to the thread topic. I'm used to it. I think half of all my posts have been removed for that reason.
I think cats are more than germane to the topic at hand. Cats are relevant independently of the choice of topic, really.

/reallypoorlyphrasedse ntence

alh24 likes this.
Old 05-21-2011 at 11:47 PM   #35
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
I think cats are more than germane to the topic at hand. Cats are relevant independently of the choice of topic, really.

/reallypoorlyphrasedse ntence
Yeah, I though that was pretty uncharacteristic of you, from what I've seen.

I like you less because of it. My respect is hard to earn, Mahratta, and easy to lose. Poorly constructed sentences are the number one reason I end friendships. I'd say you can ask my friends, but they're not longer my friends because of assorted grammatical errors and awkward sentences.

EDIT: "Not longer"?! How do I cut friendship ties with myself...

Last edited by alh24 : 05-21-2011 at 11:50 PM.

Mahratta likes this.
Old 05-21-2011 at 11:54 PM   #36
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Yeah, I though that was pretty uncharacteristic of you, from what I've seen.

I like you less because of it.
Sorry, ma'am. It won't happen again. Someday I'll make it up to you by posting a wordy paragraph about the relationship between mathematical logic and ham.

Old 05-21-2011 at 11:57 PM   #37
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Sorry, ma'am. It won't happen again. Someday, I'll make it up to you by posting a wordy paragraph about the relationship between mathematical logic and ham.
Could you make it prosciutto?
Old 05-22-2011 at 12:07 AM   #38
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Could you make it prosciutto?
Done. Here's a brief outline.

How could one find their favourite prosciutto given an infinite number of possible offerings from an infinite number of brands? By using the Axiom of Choice, that's how. This axiom allows us to select exactly one item from exactly one set of an infinite collection of pairwise disjoint (i.e. no overlap, which makes sense as no two brands carry the same product) sets.
Of course, you'd need an infinite amount of time to select the prosciutto, but that's besides the point. Maybe you're an infinitely efficient shopper.

Last edited by Mahratta : 05-22-2011 at 12:11 AM.

alh24 says thanks to Mahratta for this post.

alh24 likes this.
Old 05-22-2011 at 12:10 AM   #39
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Done. Here's a brief outline.

How could one find their favourite prosciutto given an infinite number of possible offerings from an infinite number of brands? By using the Axiom of Choice, that's how. This axiom allows us to select exactly one item from exactly one set of an infinite collection of pairwise disjoint (i.e. no overlap, which makes sense as no two brands carry the same product) sets.
I don't get it, but I like it. Keep it up, and I'll name a sequoia after you. I'm re-planting some tomorrow if the weather is nice - you jealous of my hipster activity, Aelya?

EDIT: That actually didn't go completely over my head. That was a good Adelle version.

Last edited by alh24 : 05-22-2011 at 12:38 AM.

Mahratta likes this.