MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Alzheimer's Society nerual Clubs & Groups 2 08-11-2010 05:36 PM
McMaster Alzheimer's Society a_12 Clubs & Groups 1 03-17-2010 10:05 PM
McMaster Biology Society (2009) anusingh88 General Discussion 0 09-05-2009 06:53 PM
The McMaster Non-Partisan Society c.erl Clubs & Groups 1 03-06-2009 09:59 PM
McMaster Sociology Society jennn Academics 0 10-07-2008 09:41 PM

McMaster Napping Society

Old 02-06-2011 at 12:03 AM   #1
pocketlint59

Liked: 11 Times

McMaster Napping Society
Hi, a friend of mine at U of T founded the U of T napping society and I'm looking to start something similar at McMaster.

The tagline:
Like naps?
Can't go home?
don't want to sleep in the library?
Nap with piece of mind with the McMaster Napping society!!

I'm here to gauge the popularity of the idea and see if it will be a hit with the student population.

Summary: we plan to provide a safe, judgement-free location for all students who want a bit of rest between classes, but can't make it home. The club will meet weekly or more depending on room bookings and demand.

layout: participants would initially bring their own pillows (my friend tells me that he had people bring yoga mats). 2nd year (when we get funding): we'll purchase some air mattresses. There will be a person who watches over the room when the others are sleeping.

I've never started a club before and I'd really appreciate some advice on how to proceed. Please help me!
Old 02-21-2011 at 09:22 PM   #2
Limbacker

Liked: 1 Time

This is genious.
Old 04-02-2011 at 08:00 PM   #3
pocketlint59

wow, sorry for the month-long absence in reply.

If there's earnest interest in this, then I'll look into securing the necessary materials and funding for this to take off.
Old 04-02-2011 at 08:57 PM   #4
Limbacker

Liked: 1 Time

I have serious interest dude. Start it up. I'm always looking for somewhere to sleep between my classes
Old 04-03-2011 at 01:04 AM   #5
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbacker View Post
I have serious interest dude. Start it up. I'm always looking for somewhere to sleep between my classes
it's called your bed between the hours of 11pm to 7AM

On a more serious note if you need advice for starting a club i would talk to someone who has made a club before.
Old 04-11-2011 at 11:00 PM   #6
pocketlint59

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
it's called your bed between the hours of 11pm to 7AM

On a more serious note if you need advice for starting a club i would talk to someone who has made a club before.

tell that to the engineers.

thanks for your advice about asking someone with club experience. Are you offering advice?

to be honest, I'm sort of dragging my feet on this project since I had to deal with the senior year capstone project but momentum will pick up after exams. I'm also not sure if I can dedicate any meaningful time as I'll be in a MASc. program next year. If anyone reading this wants to run with the idea, go right ahead! Just be sure to thank the founder of this idea @ U of T's napping society.

In the meantime, I'll do what I can in asking the MSU about the current problems (bedding, possible violation of school rules etc. etc.)

I'll also be posting my results on this thread for anyone who wants to use it as a reference.

Last edited by pocketlint59 : 04-11-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2011 at 04:10 PM   #7
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

About time. While i never went to ryerson, when i worked there i found out about this sleeping room they had. I remember hearing at least about how the architecture students used it during theur capstone project. the could go and rest and someone would wake them up at what time they wanted. even if not with that option there should be a permenant resting room on campus, for people who wanna nap. first come first serve!
Old 04-26-2011 at 11:45 AM   #8
pocketlint59

alright. I'm convinced. I'll get started on this club right away.

Spread the word!

I'll also be needing people to be execs.

I'm at school next week for summer jobs so I'll approach the MSU next monday.

Thanks everyone for your input!

MirandaC likes this.
Old 05-29-2011 at 02:08 AM   #9
pocketlint59

update:

I forgot to go to the MSU. In fact, if it weren't for EpicMealTime, I'd forget what day of the week it was. (today is 5 days since EMT made a new video fyi)

Also, it looks like I won't be able to take an active role in this project. Though I would have liked to found a club, my current and foreseeable future schedule just won't give me enough time.

So sorry everybody.

though....

Someone was kind enough to send me a PM offering their help, so maybe there's still life in this club. However, as it stands, I simply don't have any spare time to make this club happen.