MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Tuition Fees and Possible Tuition Reduction due to Headstart/LEAP MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-10-2010 09:07 PM
McMaster University Offers of Admission 2010 Thread Rubicon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 04-18-2010 09:28 AM
McMaster Kinesiology offers of admission? Mac12 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 04-15-2009 06:19 PM

McMaster offers free tuition to children of fallen soldiers

McMaster offers free tuition to children of fallen soldiers

http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /story.cfm?id=6469

McMaster University will offer free tuition for four years, and provide residence accommodation and a meal plan in first year, to the children of Canadian soldiers who lost their lives in military action.

The University made the announcement yesterday morning.

"War takes a terrible toll on families - emotionally and in some cases financially - and we feel a responsibility to both honour the sacrifice and to do our small part in helping a soldier's family by offering access to a McMaster education," says Peter George, President of McMaster University. "McMaster is proud to be able to be a part of Project Hero."

Open to those under the age of 26, students will be required to identify themselves as a son or daughter of a Canadian soldier killed in active duty. The program is open until August 31, 2014, and provides a residence room and meal plan for the first year of study, and full tuition for four years of study. Eligibility will be verified by the Department of National Defense. Details can be found at http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/projecthero.htm.

Project Hero was co-founded by Honorary Lieutenant-Colonel Kevin Reed and Retired General Rick Hillier to provide support to the sons and daughters of Canadian military killed while serving in an active mission.

Project Hero scholarships are already being offered by Memorial University in Newfoundland, the University of Ottawa, the University of Windsor and the University of Calgary.

Joseph likes this.
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 11-12-2009 at 06:10 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
This makes me really happy.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

malycknm says thanks to lorend for this post.

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 11-12-2009 at 06:19 PM   #3
Joseph
Program: Health Sciences
Year: First

Liked: 132 Times
A very classy move by McMaster, however, I’m not in favour of the expiration date. Many of the Canadian soldiers killed are young, and if they do have children, they are probably infants. As a result, they wouldn’t be able to qualify for this offer within the 5-year time frame.

So, I’m hoping either Project Hero or the Canadian government sets up a program that provides support for any post-secondary education, and without an expiration date. Also, it shouldn’t only just go to children of Canadian soldiers killed in action, but also children of Canadian soldiers killed in training, peacekeeping, etc.

Nevertheless, this initiative is a positive step, and goes to show, Canada leads the world in how well it takes care of its military personnel.

Hats off to McMaster and the other Universities participating in Project Hero!

Last edited by Joseph : 11-12-2009 at 06:21 PM.

Old 11-12-2009 at 06:23 PM   #4
Phil
Program: Environmental Science
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 27 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
A very classy move by McMaster, however, I’m not in favour of the expiration date. Many of the Canadian soldiers killed are young, and if they do have children, they are probably infants. As a result, they wouldn’t be able to qualify for this offer within the 5-year time frame.

So, I’m hoping either Project Hero or the Canadian government sets up a program that provides support for any post-secondary education, and without an expiration date. Also, it shouldn’t only just go to children of Canadian soldiers killed in action, but also children of Canadian soldiers killed in training, peacekeeping, etc.

Nevertheless, this initiative is a positive step, and goes to show, Canada leads the world in how well it takes care of its military personnel.

Hats off to McMaster and the other Universities participating in Project Hero!

Perfectly summed up my thoughts.

Old 11-12-2009 at 06:32 PM   #5
Jake
Program: Commerce

Liked: 107 Times
This is awesome!

PS: Why isn't the "Like This" function working for this article? :p

Last edited by Jake : 11-12-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2009 at 09:19 PM   #6
Kathy2
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 529 Times
This is wonderful. I hope Mac removes the expiration date though.
Old 11-12-2009 at 09:37 PM   #7
Goce
Elite Member
Program: Political Science

Liked: 36 Times
Why?

I get that Remembrance Day has come and gone, but wouldn't this be more fruitful if it was based on merit? How about helping out those students that are intellectually superior but living in, or close to, poverty? Perhaps one day we can actually learn that war is not the answer and there is little, if any reason, to continue such missions in foreign lands.

Here's to remembering the fallen and hoping that no more shall continue to fall unnecessarily
Old 11-12-2009 at 11:12 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
Definitely a great decision, I also agree with everything Joseph mentioned, it should be permanent, not just for the next few years.

PS- It's not working for me either, not sure what's going on =/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
This is awesome!

Old 11-12-2009 at 11:39 PM   #9
Mowicz
Elite Member
Program: Mathematics & Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
How about helping out those students that are intellectually superior but living in, or close to, poverty?
Mac has bursaries in place for people whose parents have passed away, or live in or close to poverty. It's only natural that children of fallen soldiers have >= the same benefits.

Although I'll admit it should still be on a 'need' basis...like if someone is particularly wealthy, gets a load of life insurance, etc. then they shouldn't be given free tuition. But no system is perfect.
Old 11-13-2009 at 07:01 AM   #10
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language
Year: Fourth

Liked: 196 Times
Yeah, I thought this was odd too. There are loads of students going through ridiculous situations which have no similarity to this one, whether it is extreme poverty or chronic illnesses or other family members pass away - but they aren't getting full tuition and free meal plans/residence. They do get bursaries (sometimes not even that depending on the situation), but not to the extent of this.

Just seems to me like, while this is a really great thing, because there is an expiration date and it excludes students going through equally hard situations - it seems like a business move or a publicity stunt even.

janeller likes this.
Old 11-13-2009 at 09:16 AM   #11
Taunton
Elite Member
Program: Life Science & Geographic Information Systems
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 598 Times
I like it... it's not necessarily perfect, but it's definitely good. A family that has lost a full income earner could be financially devastated (meaning the children could lose their opportunity for postsecondary education), and this pretty much takes care of that.

It's also a really nice way to say "thank you" for the sacrifice they made on our behalf.
Old 11-13-2009 at 11:05 AM   #12
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
Why?

I get that Remembrance Day has come and gone, but wouldn't this be more fruitful if it was based on merit? How about helping out those students that are intellectually superior but living in, or close to, poverty? Perhaps one day we can actually learn that war is not the answer and there is little, if any reason, to continue such missions in foreign lands.

Here's to remembering the fallen and hoping that no more shall continue to fall unnecessarily
Because losing a parent is one of the most, if not the most, difficult things in the world. And these soldiers can't be properly thanked for their dedication and sacrifice, so the next best thing is to thank their families.

Mac offers scholarships to students with good grades, and loans and bursaries to students with financial need.
Old 11-13-2009 at 11:51 AM   #13
Matthew K
Program: Business

Liked: 70 Times
Very classy move by McMaster, indeed! I agree with everyone here, they should really get rid of the expiration date if McMaster really does mean this.

The “Like This” button isn’t working because Joseph glitched the system haha. Notice why he’s the only that used the “Like This” button. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
This is awesome!

~*Sara*~ likes this.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search