CA waiting list pawmiii Residence & Housing 2 08-04-2010 11:26 AM
Waiting List?! Mfm12 Residence & Housing 3 06-24-2010 10:02 AM
Waiting List ? Demonoid12 General Discussion 0 05-11-2009 05:05 PM

Mcmaster Residence Waiting List

Old 08-02-2008 at 11:05 AM   #1
dobbz123

Liked: 1 Time

Mcmaster Residence Waiting List
As of now, I am number 40 on the waiting list for residence at mac. What are the chances of me getting it? I'm kind of desperate because I really want to go to mac but my parents won't let me unless I get rez.
Old 08-02-2008 at 06:06 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Generally the higher up on your list you are the better.

However, we can't say with exact certainty if you will get residence or not: we don't know how many offers have been rescinded, how many spots are still available, and how many people are going to drop out between now and Welcome Week.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-03-2008 at 10:33 AM   #3
dobbz123

I called up the housing office last week, and they said that they would give the first 60 people rez. At this point, I was number 100. Now, I am number 40. I am really desperate to get rez! Do you have any idea what the status with the waiting list is right now? Please let me know. Thanks!

eSsBee likes this.
Old 08-03-2008 at 11:08 AM   #4
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

I have no idea whatthe status is. However, further into the year more people drop out and by that point most have found a place to stay in the meanwhile so they rejected their residence offer. You might have a chance.

Last edited by lorend : 08-03-2008 at 12:34 PM. Reason: nicole forgot to finish her last sentence. i assumed that is what she meant
Old 08-03-2008 at 02:11 PM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Unfortunately this person doesn't have the option of waiting until the year gets going because their parents won't let them go if they don't get res...

The only thing I can suggest dobbz is to try to win your parents over with the idea of off campus housing if you really want to come to Mac.

Old 08-03-2008 at 02:51 PM   #6
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Do you live very far from McMaster? Do you think you'd be able to commute for a while? Maybe you could crash at a friend's place for a while until you do get residence if your parents don't want you living off campus. I've heard of people sleeping in the student center for all four years of university (not at mac) but I don't recommend that. Tell your parents how AMAZING McMaster is academically so that way you'll be able to stay at mac. Then, tell them you'll only be living off campus for about a month until the spot opens up! =) Do it one step at a time
Old 08-04-2008 at 11:23 PM   #7
dancingqueen

Liked: 0 Times

September 5th (I believe) is the last day for first years to move in to their rooms (without a request) & after that there are usually still open rooms. A girl on my floor last year was not at the top of the waiting list when welcome week began but called Housing & Conference Services each day of welcome week & asked if they had any rooms open. By the middle of the first week of classes they even had two options for her to choose from.
If you are very sure you want to come to Mac, you should definitely keep calling. A lot of people infront of you on the list will make other arrangements before school begins & after classes start, the order of that list goes out the window.

Good luck!
Old 08-05-2008 at 07:38 AM   #8
dobbz123

Thanks. But my parents don't want me taking the chance to wait that long. Right now, the plan is to go to UVic if i don't get res at Mac. I really don't want to go there. My parents are letting me wait till August 15th (because that's when I have to pay tuition fees). If I don't get residence by the 15th, sadly, I'll have to go to UVic. They also said the option of living off-campus is out because they think the experience of living on campus is very important. So basically, I'm really desperate and anxious to get res. =(

Last edited by dobbz123 : 08-05-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-05-2008 at 08:35 AM   #9
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbz123 View Post
Thanks. But my parents don't want me taking the chance to wait that long. Right now, the plan is to go to UVic if i don't get res at Mac. I really don't want to go there. My parents are letting me wait till August 15th (because that's when I have to pay tuition fees). If I don't get residence by the 15th, sadly, I'll have to go to UVic. They also said the option of living off-campus is out because they think the experience of living on campus is very important. So basically, I'm really desperate and anxious to get res. =(

I'm sorry to hear that your parents are so adamant about this. It's really unfortunate that you should have to sacrafice YOUR university experience and go somewhere you don't want to becaue of this small matter. I really hope you get residence by the 15th.

Old 08-07-2008 at 08:16 AM   #10
aurry

Liked: Liked 3 Times

You will not get a confirmation before the 15th.

My friend was in a similar situation, she was number 30 or so on the wait list around this time. She lived nearby and so was able to commute for welcome week. About a week or so into classes she got a call that a spot had opened up in one of the 4 person rooms in Wallingford and she got to live there.

They open up the rooms after people don't pay, leave after the first week, etc.
People even move into rez in January when people drop out in the first semester.

So you do have good chances of getting into residence, but unfortunately its just not going to happen before the 15th =/
Old 08-08-2008 at 03:36 PM   #11
Cubit

Liked: 2 Times

Not being in residence first year does not automatically exclude you from living in residence in upper years - It's easier to get in if you have decent grades, or decide to become a CA or something like that. You might want to remind them of that. Plus living off camus on your own is still a good experience.

I really hope that you get to come here, but if you don't , don't dispair - Everyone finds something they like at the school that they end up at - I've encountered a lot of feirce loyalty from students at every univeristy I've ever visited. You get out what you put into it .

Keep checking- keep fighting!

Physics & Astronomy.

------
To Maxwell:" But Sir, what use is it?"
Maxwell: "Madam, what use is a new born babe?"
------

ThatGuy says thanks to Cubit for this post.