MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Speed Dating Club - would you like to join? jubilantx Clubs & Groups 0 10-25-2011 12:07 AM
McMaster LAN Club kevinf Gaming 12 11-02-2010 12:15 AM
McMaster Kendo Club TylerA Clubs & Groups 1 01-20-2010 11:40 AM
McMaster Debate Club? justinb Clubs & Groups 0 01-13-2010 11:11 AM
McMaster Juggling Club waldo Clubs & Groups 5 12-12-2009 03:25 PM

McMaster Speed Dating Club - would you like to join?

Old 10-25-2011 at 12:10 AM   #1
jubilantx

Liked: 1 Time

McMaster Speed Dating Club - would you like to join?

Hi everyone! My friend and I are planning to start a new club in the university - McMaster Speed Dating club.

The purpose of the club is to help create new opportunities for Mac students to meet, socialize, and establish relationships in a casual and fun manner. Speed dating is also an efficient way to meet people. Essentially, guys and girls are randomly paired up in a restaurant/lounge/bar environment. They talk for 5 minutes, then the timer buzzes, telling the guys (or girls) to rotate. So in this process, you can take note of the people you are interested in, and for ones who didn't click, you only spend 5 minutes with them.

As for now, we would love to know how many people are interested in joining this club. If you are interested or know someone who might be interested, please email me (xiejl {at} mcmaster.ca) the following information:

1. Name
2. Student Number
3. Faculty
4. McMaster email address.

We are also looking for enthusiastic and dedicated individuals to take on exec positions in our Speed Dating team:
1. Vice-President
2. Financial officer
3. Secretary
3. Class Communications Officers (enthusiastic individuals who go to various classrooms to advertise the club)
4. Advertising Officers (design of posters/flyers)

If interested, please email me (xiejl {at} mcmaster.ca), detailing the following:
1. The position that you are applying for;
2. Why you think you are suited for the position (e.g. your skills in designing, event planning, past experience, etc.)
3. One idea that you have for the club to make it better!

Interviews will be scheduled after your application
Thank you for reading, and hopefully we can get this going next semester!!

Last edited by jubilantx : 10-25-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-25-2011
Eternal Fire
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-25-2011
RockerSocker
Old 10-25-2011 at 08:19 AM   #2
jubilantx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Fire View Post
This seems a bit desperate, don't you think?
Thank you for your comment. However this is a common misconception associated with speed dating. We think that speed dating is for people who are looking to actively control what is happening in their lovelife. Also, we are all busy people with school work, jobs, etc. and so speed dating events will be an efficient way to meet for those who are tight on time.

Additionally, these events help you break the ice and establish common purpose. Imagine going on the street and trying to start conversations with 14 people - this will for sure be more difficult than it sounds. Even if a conversation is started, one cannot be sure whether the other person is looking for a relationship or not. The speed dating club helps take care of all this. We are hoping to create novel opportunities for busy people to meet, and just to let everyone have a great time dating

Again, all comments and inputs are appreciated.
Old 10-25-2011 at 08:41 AM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerSocker View Post
I'm pretty sure this club would be the biggest joke on campus, nobody is going to take this seriously.
Thats not nice.
Old 10-25-2011 at 08:55 AM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

I'm sure that's what people say about actual speed dating services, yet there are people that still go..

give it a go, who knows, you might get a good response
Old 10-25-2011 at 11:02 AM   #5
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

Play your cards right and you can have 10-20 speed dates in a night at a club! Ha.
Old 10-25-2011 at 01:07 PM   #6
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Fire View Post
This seems a bit desperate, don't you think?
I agree with this. Post-secondary education is when people have access to the largest number of people of the opposite sex and similar age that they will in their entire lives. Speed dating is often utilized by people who do not have many opportunities to meet people of the desired sex and age. If you have to resort to speed dating when in university to meet people... ho boy.

I personally think, if someone is busy, it would be much more helpful to join a club that does not require a large amount of dedication, where one can meet people with similar interests, than to speed-date.

And seriously, if you're too busy to join a couple clubs and show up occasionally with the hopes of meeting someone, what are the chances that you actually have time to date someone? If you're looking for a quick ****, that's what bars exist for.

If you're socially awkward and think meeting people in a speed-dating environment will help surpass some barriers of awkwardness, if you're really that awkward, do you really think speed-dating would solve the problem? I wouldn't. :/ Better to learn how to interact better with people first, if that's your case, rather than trying to jump into dating.

Last edited by Amaryll : 10-25-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Desda, Moosh like this.
Old 10-25-2011
swarley
Old 10-25-2011 at 02:25 PM  
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quoth the guy with no photo or connection to one anywhere. Bravo!
Old 10-25-2011 at 02:34 PM   #7
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

Question: What's with the need for the student number? I don't think we're allowed to give it out
since it can be used to have access to use stuff in our name.

Just sayin'.
Old 10-25-2011 at 03:15 PM   #8
jubilantx

Quote:
Originally Posted by VastHorizon View Post
Question: What's with the need for the student number? I don't think we're allowed to give it out
since it can be used to have access to use stuff in our name.

Just sayin'.
The student number of the members are needed for the club application form
Thanks for asking though, should have clarified it before.
Old 10-25-2011 at 04:12 PM   #9
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

this wouldnt be bad. lots of people in first year came out to the speed dating thing during frosh week.
Old 10-25-2011 at 05:21 PM   #10
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

I would like to join to troll unsuspecting girls.

That is all.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)