MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Speed Dating Club - would you like to join? jubilantx Clubs & Groups 0 10-25-2011 12:07 AM
McMaster LAN Club kevinf Gaming 12 11-02-2010 12:15 AM
McMaster Kendo Club TylerA Clubs & Groups 1 01-20-2010 11:40 AM
McMaster Debate Club? justinb Clubs & Groups 0 01-13-2010 11:11 AM
McMaster Juggling Club waldo Clubs & Groups 5 12-12-2009 03:25 PM

McMaster Speed Dating Club - would you like to join?

Old 10-25-2011 at 07:14 PM   #16
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Ooh, James. I'm in. Creepily hittin' on chicks = fun!
Old 10-25-2011 at 09:25 PM   #17
lenzm2

Liked: 1 Time

I'd join this club
I was off for a year for an internship. When I came back (this September) everyone I knew pretty much graduated.
I live and work in Mississauga... I am busy... but I do make time for people that are important to me... however, I don't think I should be joining a random club on campus in hopes of meeting someone who I click with during one of the meetings. That would just mean another time obligation and a relatively low chance of finding a match.
A speed dating club would make most sense.... a group of people hoping they could meet some new people- all of whom are likely interested in dating. If you're not interested in it? Don't join.

I also don't believe I'm an unattractive girl ... so I don't think you'd get only "uggos" with this club.

soulsbuzz likes this.
Old 10-25-2011
mohammyt
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-26-2011 at 06:47 AM   #18
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times

Can't tell if troll or just extremely desperate.

Talk to girls in your classes. For one, THEY ARE IN YOUR CLASSES (which is convenient). Second, considering they are in your classes, it means they probably like similar things to those you do. So why rely on Speed Dating where there might be a moderate chance you probably won't like anyone there (or just end up with someone who turns out to be different than what you saw at the event)?

Just saying.
Old 10-26-2011 at 08:48 AM   #19
PinkiePie

Liked: 6 Times

To those bashing this, have you ever tried it? It's surprisingly fun and worth doing at least once, if for no other reason than to learn how to condense your important information into less than 2min30sec. (Life skill as future contacts DONT want to listen to you ramble on for 30 minutes about yourself)

Afzal likes this.
Old 10-26-2011 at 01:43 PM   #20
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

What if it's the same people who show up week... after week... after week?

Old 10-26-2011 at 02:11 PM   #21
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Yep, that's downside of internship. However, since the money is good I have no complains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzm2 View Post
I'd join this club
I was off for a year for an internship. When I came back (this September) everyone I knew pretty much graduated.
I live and work in Mississauga... I am busy... but I do make time for people that are important to me... however, I don't think I should be joining a random club on campus in hopes of meeting someone who I click with during one of the meetings. That would just mean another time obligation and a relatively low chance of finding a match.
A speed dating club would make most sense.... a group of people hoping they could meet some new people- all of whom are likely interested in dating. If you're not interested in it? Don't join.

I also don't believe I'm an unattractive girl ... so I don't think you'd get only "uggos" with this club.

Last edited by Bobby66 : 10-26-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2011 at 04:28 PM   #22
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzm2 View Post

Bolded part: welcome to MacInsiders.

Really, it's extremely easy to get guys' attention here. All you have to so is start a thread letting people know how shy you are, and within a week your thread will be flooded with replies and your inbox flowing with private messages from guys who want to be your savior. Dive into Chat and you're probably going to get hit on there too, even if you don't know it.

That is, if the above hasn't already happened in the last 19 hours as a result of that "I don't believe I'm unattractive" line.

Afzal, justinsftw like this.
Old 10-26-2011 at 04:51 PM   #23
lenzm2

Liked: 1 Time

In reply to Entropy...

The point of speed dating is meeting a number of folks face to face within a given amount of time. That is to see if you find the other attractive, and if you have chemistry. You can't tell that online. (Though, I am sure some might argue that).

That is, if the above hasn't already happened in the last 19 hours as a result of that "I don't believe I'm unattractive" line. I have not been bothered thus far. And I didn't post that to get attention from anyone online... it was merely in response to an earlier poster saying that they think only uglies would join a club like this.

THOUGH. I do think another poster had a point when they said "What if it's the same people who show up week... after week... after week" - hmm!
Old 10-26-2011 at 05:26 PM   #24
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

I have to start reading up!

AdelaisAer, Afzal, BlakeM like this.
Old 10-27-2011 at 09:16 AM   #25
InYoutoGive

Liked: 41 Times

Good idea for a club. People spend so much time on Facebook and iPhones now that they forget what it's like to talk to someone face to face.

Perhaps it would be wise to extend the scope beyond speed dating - realistically, one would only be able to hold one (maaaaybe two) speed dating events per term, otherwise it's just going to be the same people over and over.

Does McMaster have a Toastmasters club, or whatever? Maybe spread the mandate of the club to include public speaking as well as speed dating. I'd imagine that people that have trouble with one will probably have trouble with the other as well. You can call it the 'McMaster Socal Skills Club'.

That said, I'm in one of the nerdiest programs in the University and I have absolutely no trouble meeting and relating to people of either gender. I'm also comfortable speaking in public. I don't have any specific need for the club, being in a relationship currently, but I could serve in a mentorship or advisory role depending on the time commitment required.
Old 10-27-2011 at 11:26 AM   #26
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times

Amaryll likes this.
Old 10-27-2011 at 12:24 PM   #27
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
I agree with this. Post-secondary education is when people have access to the largest number of people of the opposite sex and similar age that they will in their entire lives. Speed dating is often utilized by people who do not have many opportunities to meet people of the desired sex and age. If you have to resort to speed dating when in university to meet people... ho boy.

I personally think, if someone is busy, it would be much more helpful to join a club that does not require a large amount of dedication, where one can meet people with similar interests, than to speed-date.

And seriously, if you're too busy to join a couple clubs and show up occasionally with the hopes of meeting someone, what are the chances that you actually have time to date someone? If you're looking for a quick ****, that's what bars exist for.

If you're socially awkward and think meeting people in a speed-dating environment will help surpass some barriers of awkwardness, if you're really that awkward, do you really think speed-dating would solve the problem? I wouldn't. :/ Better to learn how to interact better with people first, if that's your case, rather than trying to jump into dating.
I don't think it's fair to automatically assume anyone willing to try this is socially awkward, sometimes it's just a numbers game and you get to meet A LOT more people who are interested in the same thing when speed dating, In other social situations you (and everyone else) have to be more coy about your intentions.

lenzm2, Snowman like this.
Old 10-27-2011 at 01:04 PM   #28
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

if your struggling to find people changing the name of the club might make it more approachable to those too scared to try something like this, and those too ignorant to think this is a good idea.

just an idea.
Old 10-28-2011 at 07:38 AM   #29
jamesl

Liked: 0 Times

i actually think this is a very good idea. totally interested and i bet many others would be too. theres got to be a reason why a post about meeting girls reached 20k views.