MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Offers of Admission Chad First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 206 04-25-2013 08:46 PM
McMaster nursing 2010 admission average?! If you have been accepted...please answer! memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-24-2010 03:25 PM
McMaster offers free tuition to children of fallen soldiers lorend MacInsiders Announcements 12 11-13-2009 11:51 AM
McMaster Kinesiology offers of admission? Mac12 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 04-15-2009 06:19 PM

McMaster University Offers of Admission 2010 Thread

Old 04-07-2010 at 08:40 PM   #16
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I'm pretty sure your student number is the same (it doesn't change if you switch majors, so it doesn't make sense for it to be affected by level i). Imagine sending out 2, 3 different numbers for every applicant that got accepted into multiple programs.

But do check, in case I'm wrong.
Old 04-07-2010 at 09:29 PM   #17
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Same number I applied to Business and Life Sci and my student number was constant.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 04-08-2010 at 08:29 PM   #18
ctyctycty

Liked: 15 Times

Thank you everyone who responded =)
Old 04-12-2010 at 05:54 PM   #19
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

It's not too late to add an application is it? I'm using the 105 application, instead f the 101.
Old 04-12-2010 at 05:56 PM   #20
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by changturkey View Post
It's not too late to add an application is it? I'm using the 105 application, instead f the 101.
I applied in April of last year, so you should be good. I don't remember the number of application I used though. It may make a difference, Im not sure.
Old 04-12-2010 at 06:38 PM   #21
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
A levels? Are you applying from England?
This person most likely is from England....dunno why they would want to come Canada tho...England education is a lot better imo. JUST SAYING tho..
Old 04-12-2010 at 06:43 PM   #22
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
This person most likely is from England....dunno why they would want to come Canada tho...England education is a lot better imo. JUST SAYING tho..
Not necessarily India and Pakistan have the same structure.
Old 04-12-2010 at 06:52 PM   #23
changturkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I applied in April of last year, so you should be good. I don't remember the number of application I used though. It may make a difference, Im not sure.
Would it be a good idea to call?
Old 04-12-2010 at 07:18 PM   #24
reeves
Jedi IRL

It cant hurt. They'd know more about the type of application, how long it takes, and give you a ballpark estimate as to when to expect an answer. They're also good at replying to emails. They answered all my questions by email no later than next business day.
Old 04-12-2010 at 07:21 PM   #25
changturkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
It cant hurt. They'd know more about the type of application, how long it takes, and give you a ballpark estimate as to when to expect an answer. They're also good at replying to emails. They answered all my questions by email no later than next business day.
Do you know which department I should send it to? I'm having a bit of trouble finding the admissions email.
Old 04-12-2010 at 07:28 PM   #26
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by changturkey View Post
Do you know which department I should send it to? I'm having a bit of trouble finding the admissions email.
I cant find it either, but I'm pretty sure is [email protected] . Someone correct me if Im wrong.

The phone number is 905-525-4600 if the email doesnt work.
Old 04-13-2010 at 12:34 AM   #27
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

it isn't so bad if you don't get in.

the school isn't that great
Old 04-13-2010 at 02:26 AM   #28
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Yeap! A good number of countries mostly in the British Commonwealth have "Alevel" exams based on the GCSE Cambridge University examinations. It is completely based on and alot of people say more advanced/comprehensive then the British GCSE system. But don't take my word for it.

An Alevel is equivalent to first year courses at University level, hence I for example received 15 credits entering Mac.

But yeah I definitely do not see people coming over to Canada from England and paying international fees, the education is comparable and usually better then Canada but more importantly they have very high incentives for citizens to go to school(low tuition and alot of bursaries & scholarships) and a much better student loan system whereby the government covers all your schooling costs but upon graduation and after you start earning above a certain income level(38k I think) you get put in a higher tax bracket throughout the rest of your life(Or until a certain age)

I would love it if Canada could have something like that to replace OSAP, there is so much tangible benefits to people not paying off their OSAP right after graduating but instead going into the consumer market and stimulating the economy, but that's just speculation.

In terms of Masood's question, If you have like a BBC they might just let it slip but not if you have a CCC. Your good school grades will definitely help your case if that happens though. However your chances of getting away with it at Mac are much better because it lags far far behind Uoft, Western, Waterloo, York when it comes to attracting international students. Like I was only one of the 3 that came from my country to Mac back in 08 while 20+ went to Uoft just from my social network the same year.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 04-18-2010 at 09:28 AM   #29
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
For undergraduate courses, I would say:
Depends on the university - it's the same case with the U.S.. Canadian universities seem to have more of a 'standard' relative to American and English universities, since UK / US universities can be privately run (or private-public, not sure), while most Canadian universities are publically run, and thus kept to a certain academic standard.

The UK / US system is more composite, where universities have more choice in what to do and what to teach relative to Canada, where it's more (relatively) standardized.
While particular schools in England may be higher-ranked, there are also schools in England that aren't very academically well-ranked at all, and, of course, there's a middle-ground as well.
In Canada, there's less of a difference between the top and the bottom (there is a difference, of course, which is why UoT is so highly ranked and Algoma isn't) than there is in the UK or Us, but the standard that's being set is in no way 'lower' than the UK simply because it's 'lower' than the standards of Oxford and Cambridge. In fact, it's probably very tough to compare them, since you're comparing one relatively standardized system to a composite system...

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
Not necessarily India and Pakistan have the same structure.
This brings up an additional point - perhaps not particularly relevant in developed countries, but the system the UK and US use makes it much easier for schools to turn into degree mills (again, I know that some people on this forum will argue that York / Guelph / <insert school> is a degree mill to make themselves feel better, but their criticisms are hardly fair or true) than it is for schools under a relatively standardized system.

That's why you've got so many Indian and Pakistani degree-mill schools, as the state doesn't bother quite as much as the US / UK do to check up on the schools every once in a while, as they've got rather more pressing things to deal with

Last edited by Mahratta : 04-18-2010 at 09:32 AM.