MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
downtown hamilton to Mac Ipskak Automotive & Transportation 2 01-23-2013 05:15 PM
Downtown Busses Rerouted anon491 General Discussion 3 10-26-2012 07:08 PM
A look into the future of McMaster's Cutting-edge Downtown Health Campus Chad MacInsiders Announcements 11 12-18-2011 10:44 PM
Downtown jaason87 General Discussion 4 10-22-2010 05:21 AM
Tastes of Downtown lorend Food & Meal Plans 0 05-23-2008 05:20 PM

McMaster's New Location Downtown

McMaster University has found a new home in downtown Hamilton for relocating its downtown classrooms and offices from the current Downtown Centre. The move allows 200 staff and 4,000 students to remain in the city’s core, moving from a city-owned building at Main and John to 1 James Street North at the corner of King and James.

Its part of the Jackson Square retail and office complex and is two blocks away from McMaster's new Health Campus which is currently under construction at Main and Bay.

Among those services and units moving are:

• The Centre for Continuing Education

• University Financial Affairs

• Institutional Research and Analysis

• University Advancement

See more at: http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /artic...ntown-hamilton
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 02-06-2014 at 01:02 PM   #2
MrPlinkett
Account Locked
Faculty: Engineering
Year: Alumni

Liked: 201 Times
Is it really a good idea to have department of Financial Affairs in the downtown core? Imagine if someone decides to donate money to McMaster, they get a cab, get off at Jackson Square, see all the jobless white trash there. Think, "What the fuck is this place? How does any self respecting organization can have an office here?". Get back in the cab and drive away.

Not exactly good advertising.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 02-06-2014 at 02:05 PM   #3
samd

Liked: 23 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
Is it really a good idea to have department of Financial Affairs in the downtown core? Imagine if someone decides to donate money to McMaster, they get a cab, get off at Jackson Square, see all the jobless white trash there. Think, "What the fuck is this place? How does any self respecting organization can have an office here?". Get back in the cab and drive away.

...because in 2014 the only way to give someone money is to drive to their office and hand it to them.

Personally, I would think "Hamilton's really gotten the short end of the stick over the last 40 or so years, it's good to see that McMaster is recommitting itself to the city instead of isolating itself up on the hill."

What Mac is doing downtown is essential to improving the very problems that you bring up. I'm originally from Cambridge, specifically Galt, where the downtown core was a truly wretched shit hole full of hookers, drugs and failing businesses. The UW architecture school has been there fore about 10 years now and the area has been completely transformed.

This is exactly the kind of good advertising that Mac should pursue because it will attract intelligent compassionate people who want to make a better world.

Afzal, Cygnals, Faer, kwanuing, RyanC like this.
Old 02-06-2014 at 02:14 PM   #4
Commie42
Elite Member
Program: Commerce
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 133 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post

The old office was is only 2 blocks over. It really makes no difference.

Old 02-06-2014 at 03:02 PM   #5
eullwm
Elite Member
Program: Electrical Engineering & Management
Year: Masters

Liked: 221 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie42 View Post
The old office was is only 2 blocks over. It really makes no difference.
Main and John isn't full of people lurking around smoking and requiring a reasonable police presence at all times, though.

In the end, it makes better sense because it's closer to the new location going up at Main and Bay.

Old 02-06-2014 at 04:05 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
I think it's great that McMaster is expanding into Hamilton (even if the offices were already there before!)
Old 02-06-2014 at 06:25 PM   #7
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times
Quote:
...because in 2014 the only way to give someone money is to drive to their office and hand it to them.
You forgot to mention giving money in bags with dollar signs on them.

Quote:
What Mac is doing downtown is essential to improving the very problems that you bring up. I'm originally from Cambridge, specifically Galt, where the downtown core was a truly wretched shit hole full of hookers, drugs and failing businesses. The UW architecture school has been there fore about 10 years now and the area has been completely transformed.

This is exactly the kind of good advertising that Mac should pursue because it will attract intelligent compassionate people who want to make a better world.
Hamilton isn't some tiny ass village. This is a city with population 5 times larger, population a lot poorer, and where random stabbings and shootings are no longer surprising.

And yes, usually before giving someone money you check the facilities.

anonanon987 likes this.
Old 02-07-2014 at 01:55 AM   #8
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times
I come from Toronto and I seriously think there is an over-exaggeration of how bad Hamilton down town is, have you ever been to Regent Park? Jane and Finch? or Morningside? I don't see U of T or York University students being half as scared as what you little wussies are.

I live in morning side and I'm not afraid, the University is doing good by trying to tap into the down town area to revitalize it. I definitely support it and I don't see why McMaster hasn't done it earlier, they could totally relocate the business school down there in my opinion and try to integrate into the core's business community.
Old 02-07-2014 at 05:30 PM   #9
Commie42
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanandthera View Post
I come from Toronto and I seriously think there is an over-exaggeration of how bad Hamilton down town is, have you ever been to Regent Park? Jane and Finch? or Morningside? I don't see U of T or York University students being half as scared as what you little wussies are.

I live in morning side and I'm not afraid, the University is doing good by trying to tap into the down town area to revitalize it. I definitely support it and I don't see why McMaster hasn't done it earlier, they could totally relocate the business school down there in my opinion and try to integrate into the core's business community.
Are you talking MBA school or undergrad? They just build a brand new amazing MBA building in Burlington:

If you are talking about undergrad, there would be no point, and a complete waste of money, to separate commerce undergrads from the main campus.

These offices were already located downtown, they're just moving to a different building (Jackson Square). But you're right, it's great for the city and McMaster. Have you seen the new Health Sciences Building being built downtown?

They're calling it a "downtown campus". It's nice to see the expansion of McMaster beyond the main campus.

Old 02-07-2014 at 05:31 PM   #10
Commie42
Elite Member

Quote:
I definitely support it and I don't see why McMaster hasn't done it earlier, they could totally relocate the business school down there in my opinion and try to integrate into the core's business community.
There are a variety of program's at DeGroote (both undergrad and MBA) that connect students with local businesses.
Old 02-07-2014 at 11:11 PM   #11
allanandthera

I just love how they place that MBA building in the middle of nowhere off a highway ramp :/ It's a great building but the placement is pretty weird. I think it would be much better for our undergrad if we have an actual building where we congregate and have all business classes at with actual space for business students. DSB is more like an administrative building with some meeting rooms slapped to the side and tbh the kpmg room cannot even have more than 15 people there :/
Old 02-07-2014 at 11:34 PM   #12
Commie42
Elite Member

Quote:
I just love how they place that MBA building in the middle of nowhere off a highway ramp :/ It's a great building but the placement is pretty weird. I think it would be much better for our undergrad if we have an actual building where we congregate and have all business classes at with actual space for business students. DSB is more like an administrative building with some meeting rooms slapped to the side and tbh the kpmg room cannot even have more than 15 people there :/
The MBA school is excellently located between Hamilton and Toronto. It's not far from campus but fairly accessible to Toronto because it's right off the highway.

DSB has several lecture halls in the basement, as well as some larger classrooms on the top floor. The building becomes much more useful as you progress in the program, especially if you are involved with extracurricular programs as DeGroote. Can you imagine how logistically difficult it would be to house one undergraduate faculty off-campus. Getting to and from classes? It would be a nightmare. Won't happen, and a bad idea.
Old 02-07-2014 at 11:56 PM   #13
allanandthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie42 View Post
The MBA school is excellently located between Hamilton and Toronto. It's not far from campus but fairly accessible to Toronto because it's right off the highway.

DSB has several lecture halls in the basement, as well as some larger classrooms on the top floor. The building becomes much more useful as you progress in the program, especially if you are involved with extracurricular programs as DeGroote. Can you imagine how logistically difficult it would be to house one undergraduate faculty off-campus. Getting to and from classes? It would be a nightmare. Won't happen, and a bad idea.
They should revamp the entire curriculum, I don't see why do business students need to even go to classes out of the business school. Look at other business schools, even Ryerson has all their commerce students at once place. You realize how crappy our curriculum is when we have only 1 commerce course in year 1 and even next year we will have only 3 (1e03, accounting + 1 more). We should even have our own econ and math profs in house, that's what other business schools do too. I definitely don't like this faculty melting pot we have here.

Also I don't get the point of having an MBA half way between Hamilton and Toronto, I don't see Laurier having their recruitment office half way from Waterloo and Toronto. The placement of our school itself and the recruitment locations put us at an disadvantage in general. Let's face it, no one wants to work in Burlington and Hamilton when they come out of here, everyone wants to go to the main branches downtown Toronto. We should have way more presence downtown.
Old 02-08-2014 at 01:03 AM   #14
amare
Program: Social Sciences
Year: Second

Liked: 22 Times
Quote:
They should revamp the entire curriculum, I don't see why do business
Also I don't get the point of having an MBA half way between Hamilton and Toronto, I don't see Laurier having their recruitment office half way from Waterloo and Toronto. The placement of our school itself and the recruitment locations put us at an disadvantage in general. Let's face it, no one wants to work in Burlington and Hamilton when they come out of here, everyone wants to go to the main branches downtown Toronto. We should have way more presence downtown.
2 words for ya: Paul Bates. Thats one of the main reasons the MBA program is in Burlington. I agree with you that Burlington was a poor choice on Mac's part, and it really should be located in Hamilton. The School of Business, from an administrative standpoint, has always had an elitist stance (that they should be treated different then other faculties, and that they have needs that other programs at Mac do not). That is another reason why the MBA is where it is. Whats done is done though, we cant turn back the clock.
Old 02-08-2014 at 09:57 AM   #15
king10
Program: Business
Year: Masters

Liked: 25 Times
Quote:
They should revamp the entire curriculum, I don't see why do business students need to even go to classes out of the business school. Look at other business schools, even Ryerson has all their commerce students at once place. You realize how crappy our curriculum is when we have only 1 commerce course in year 1 and even next year we will have only 3 (1e03, accounting + 1 more). We should even have our own econ and math profs in house, that's what other business schools do too. I definitely don't like this faculty melting pot we have here.

As an undergaduate commerce graduate from DeGroote and now an MBA student at the burlington campus I could not disagree more with you. The first year curriculum is purposely set up to exclude commerce classes as to ween out those unable to keep up with the rigours of university. If able to pass level 1 "business" you are rewarded with a full load of level 2 "commerce" options.

Also you seem to be missing the boat on the entire logic behind the location of the MBA school. The reason it is strategically placed is to capture the toronto market and compete with the heavy weight schools such as Rotman and Shulich, which degroote is doing now. Case in point 2012 and 2014 MBA games champions. Furthermore, it pains me to say this as a Hamiltonian but all the major banking, marketing, and capital markets jobs are located in Toronto, hence the move to Burlington to tap into that market while still being close enough to our home base of Hamilton. Had we moved into downtown Toronto we would have been cannibalized by the already established likes of Rotman, Shulich, and Rogers.

Your example of Laurier is comical as not only do they have a business school located outside of main campus, but in fact in downtown toronto. The same is the case for richard ivey of western. The burlington location draws more than half of its students from toronto as there are free shuttles from the Go Station. It's also far enough away as to differentiate itself from the Toronto school's and allow us to have our own identity while still being close to our main capmus in Hamilton.

And back on topic, as a Hamiltonian I could not be happier to see the University maintain and increase its downtown presence. 1 King North is a great location. The downtown is on an upswing as evidenced by the new condos and hotels being constructed, as well as the new James St Go Station, increased employment and residential numbers, and new businesses opening. The new plans for the waterfront at pier 5 to 8 also look stunning if they come to fruition. The ignorance and lack of general understanding of the first poster is typical of newcomers to Hamilton, but in the near future that view of the City will soon change. These are early days but the City of Hamilton's future looks bright and we have transitioned well from a Steel dominated city to one focused more on Health Care and Educational Services.

Last edited by king10 : 02-08-2014 at 10:07 AM.

Commie42 says thanks to king10 for this post.

Commie42, rtongsta like this.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search