MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
My pasta tastes amazing... doug General Discussion 47 09-19-2010 02:38 PM
Local Mac Band CD Release Party Downtown! michaelwexl MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-01-2009 09:51 AM
Downtown Hamilton: A culinary diamond in the rough mp2002 Food & Meal Plans 1 06-16-2008 11:10 AM
The Incredible Hulk: Haults Downtown Hamilton HSR Chad ARCHIVES 0 10-05-2007 04:16 PM

Tastes of Downtown

Tastes of Downtown

By DANIELLE LORENZ, MACINSIDERS

Unbeknownst to many students in Hamilton, there are actually a variety of good places to eat. According to Alexandra Bates’ article Tastes of Downtown: Fine Eats from the City’s Best in View Magazine, there are actually over 200 different restaurants . With the Tastes of Downtown festival happening on May 24th, you have the opportunity to check out a fair few of the 200.

Tastes of Downtown is a charity event that raises money for the Goodwill Amity Group. Goodwill provides resources and assistance to those who face issues in gaining employment, finding approximately 1100 Hamiltonians find jobs in 2007. All money raised from ticket sales goes directly to the charity, as the participating restaurants have donated the costs of food and drink as well as their time. (UPDATE 2013/2014: The most recent event took place on May 25th 2013. No dates available for the 2013 date as of yet).

There are four themed groups that the restaurants fall under, with each group having five establishments each. The Serendipity tour, which features Bailey’s Restaraunt, The Curry Cabana, Eden Thai, Go Jo, and Taj Mahal. Second is the New World (North American eateries) which consists of the Spotted Pig pub, Brownies Downtown Fine Food & Spirit, My Thai, One Duke, and Ya Man! Caribbean Cuisine. Third is the Old World Tour (European food) which includes Acclamation Bar and Grill, Bistro Parisien, Capri Ristorante Italiano, Slainte Irish Pub, and Ventura’s Signature Restaurant. The final group is called the Cosmopolitan Tour, and focuses on Changall’s at the Sheraton, Chaz Bistro, Ingognito Restaurant & Wine Bar, European Restaurant, and the Saucy Diner. Drinks are also served with the meals and may include beer, wine or non-alcoholic beverages.

The amount of food served at each of the eateries varies: some places serve a variety of appetizers, while others serve enormously large portions. What is served is decided on by the restaurant’s management before the tour begins. Patrons will move from place to place until at the end they are so stuffed they won’t be able to move.

Tour Guides will be taking participants from location to location. The guides are there to provide a historical background and help patrons learn about the city. I have no idea who any of them are, but I’m sure they can tell you more about Hamilton than I can.

Tickets for the event are $60. That seems a little pricey (especially for one person), but as I mentioned also includes alcoholic beverages, and a large amount of food, as well as the entire amount going completely to the Goodwill Amity Group. The event is from 11AM until 4PM and then you can waddle home as you please. For more information please call (905) 526-8482 extension 255.
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post

Article Tools