MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Residence/Medical Radiation Sciences Linh First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 03-20-2010 10:14 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM
Medical Radiation Sciences _Luu_ Academics 1 07-07-2009 10:14 PM

Medical Physics and Applied Radiation Sciences

Old 01-17-2011 at 10:08 AM   #1
Ajay R

Liked: 0 Times

Medical Physics and Applied Radiation Sciences
I am currently a first year life sciences student and this March I need to pick a field to major in.
I, like many others, have the goal to attend medical school, so I want to pick a major that will help me reach that goal.

Ive been looking into the major Medical Physics and Applied Radiation Sciences.

I enjoy physics and the math side of science so i figured this may be the program for me.
The only problem is this major has quite a few prerequisites that I don't have. So i would need to used the summer and my second year to catch up for this major, so i need to be sure I know what I'm getting myself into.

If anyone has took this major, or has taken some of the med phys classes before, could you tell me a little about them? What's the content majorly based on? Where can it get you in the future as a plan B? Is it even a good route for med school? Do you enjoy it?

Really anything anyone has to say about anything relatively related med phys would help me so much.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-20-2011 at 09:55 AM   #2
allstarme

Liked: 17 Times

I'm also interested in anything anyone has to say about med phys
Old 03-20-2011 at 10:43 AM   #3
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Word of advice; med school admissions are ridiculously competitive. Expect to never get in. Therefore, do what interests you, not what will get you there.

MirandaC says thanks to britb for this post.

Old 03-20-2011 at 01:41 PM   #4
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Alot of med phys students are in upper year physics courses. That is as much as I know. Other than that I recommend going doing the summer school anyways because physics majors are awesome.

macsci likes this.
Old 03-21-2011 at 01:40 AM   #5
epikness

Liked: 37 Times

britb pretty much said it.
+ most Canadian med schools dont require that students are enrolled in specific programs + undergrad degrees based on my understanding aren't designed to prepare u for med school (they prepare u for mcat and stuff like that) but med school is a completely different path...so do what interests u, and be a good well-rounded student...ur interests will take u to a place which is good for u
Old 03-21-2011 at 03:49 AM   #6
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay R View Post
I am currently a first year life sciences student and this March I need to pick a field to major in.
I, like many others, have the goal to attend medical school, so I want to pick a major that will help me reach that goal.

Ive been looking into the major Medical Physics and Applied Radiation Sciences.

I enjoy physics and the math side of science so i figured this may be the program for me.
The only problem is this major has quite a few prerequisites that I don't have. So i would need to used the summer and my second year to catch up for this major, so i need to be sure I know what I'm getting myself into.

If anyone has took this major, or has taken some of the med phys classes before, could you tell me a little about them? What's the content majorly based on? Where can it get you in the future as a plan B? Is it even a good route for med school? Do you enjoy it?

Really anything anyone has to say about anything relatively related med phys would help me so much.

Thanks guys!
as for what you can get into for the future.. there is a mentor on mentorlinks who works as a radiation therapist at the juravinski cancer centre

try contacting that person if you are really interested in learning about what a future in radiation science may hold.. i wont give you the persons contact info here.. but u may get it from here: http://careers.mcmaster.ca/tools/men...t_n umber=506
Old 03-27-2011 at 11:57 PM   #7
MedPhysRep

Liked: 0 Times

Medical Physics
Hi! I'm the recruitment rep for the medical physics undergraduate program and here are some answers to your questions. I did my undergrad in medical physics here at Mac and I am now doing a PhD in medical physics.

Here's a link to the program:
http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/med...urriculum.html

The program contains core math and physics courses but you also take anatomy and biology courses so if you are good at math and physics but are also interested in health science, this would be a good option for you. In the later part of the program, you take medical physics specific courses where you learn about medical imaging (CT, PET, MRI), radiation biology, cancer therapy, radioisotopes etc.

Students do successfully go onto medical school after this program. If you are interested in radiology or radiation oncology as a medical specialization, medical physics would provide you with an excellent background. A large number of students generally go onto graduate school to do research. Many students with graduate degrees in medical physics will then become clinical medical physicists at a cancer center where they design treatment plans for patients undergoing radiation therapy and test new treatment systems.

It is also possible to obtain employment in the nuclear industry as a health physicist with this degree. You would work to protect employees working at a nuclear power station from radiation exposure.

This undergrad program comes with a coop option so that you can try out these potential career paths over an 8 month placement and make money! Its a great way to gain experience for whatever you choose to do next.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

MirandaC says thanks to MedPhysRep for this post.