MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medical Radiation Sci Help? Joyceyblank First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 04-24-2011 04:24 PM
Residence/Medical Radiation Sciences Linh First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 03-20-2010 10:14 PM
Any Medical Radiation Students Selling Textbooks? smartguy_263 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-18-2009 01:43 PM
Medical Radiation Science twitterbird First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-25-2009 06:00 PM
Medical Radiation Sciences _Luu_ Academics 1 07-07-2009 10:14 PM

medical radiation sci question?

Old 04-24-2011 at 02:02 PM   #1
Joyceyblank

Liked: 3 Times

medical radiation sci question?
I wanted to become an ultrasound tech in case I don't make it to med school. However, I agree with this fellow,

"You can go into Med Rad and incorporate these courses as electives if you want, but you'll be adding hard courses onto an already very challenging and heavy workload so it's not generally recommended."

So my question is this: is it still possible for me to become an ultrasound tech with a life sci degree and an additional 1 year or so schooling. Or. do I have to do the 4 years all over again?
Old 04-24-2011 at 02:45 PM   #2
Rudiger

Liked: 36 Times

At McMaster, you would have to do another 4 years in the Medical Radiation Sciences program.

Your other option would be college ultrasound programs, such as:

http://www.cambriancollege.c a/Prog...201109USPG.HTM

That's 6 semesters, I'm assuming consecutive, so 2 years of additional school.

Joyceyblank says thanks to Rudiger for this post.
Old 04-25-2011 at 07:38 PM   #3
wjd1dud

Liked: 0 Times

In Med Rad Sci, you already take bio 1A03, Math 1LS3, and two kin courses which are all Life sci courses. In addition, you could take 2 electives as Chem and Psych, which are also life sci courses. So even if you go into Med Rad Sci and want to switch out next year to Life Sci, there's not much catching up to do (you could also go to summer school). I know this because I'm in MedRad and I thought about switching to Life Sci because i wanted to go into pharmacy (but later I decided not to do). And I found out that it's actually very easy to switch programs from MedRad to Lifesci as long as you talk with the academic advisor before June (when the course selection begins). But i think it's hard to change from Life Sci to MedRad. So i recommend trying out MedRad first (first year is pretty easy).
I hope that helps

Last edited by wjd1dud : 04-25-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-25-2011 at 07:56 PM   #4
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

I think you posted a similar question before: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...elp-41686.html

I guess other people's answers weren't good enough. =P

I'm in life sci and I wanted to switch to medrad but I couldn't. Meh, I'm ok with it. Just stop being so picky and just go for it!