MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I get to Medical school by taking Medical Radiation Science FutureMEDRAD First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 26 03-24-2013 09:43 PM
For all the Humanities and Social Science Students!- What do you want to do? maay29 Academics 5 08-28-2012 07:58 AM
Humanities and Social Science petition! huzaifa47 General Discussion 0 03-14-2009 06:43 PM

Medical School Humanities/ Social Science Requirement

Old 12-31-2013 at 09:19 PM   #1
RSA4life

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Medical School Humanities/ Social Science Requirement
Just wondering what courses people have taken to fulfill the humanities/ social science requirement for medical school?

Also, what courses fall into this category, for example, does health and aging count as a social science course?
Old 12-31-2013 at 09:53 PM   #2
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

Majority of medical schools do not require any humanities/social science courses. I believe UFT is the only one that does require it.
Old 01-01-2014 at 06:55 PM   #3
RSA4life

Liked: Liked 3 Times

That's not true, there are other schools that require one full course equivalent from humanities/ social sciences.

Medical school prerequisites aside, I was just curious what are some humanities/ social science courses that other science students have taken and found to be interesting and not overly time consuming?
Old 01-01-2014 at 07:53 PM   #4
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

barely any in ontario have that requirement.
Old 01-01-2014 at 09:54 PM   #5
jaywa
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 9 Times

Some of these might be of interest to you. At least one of them is cross-listed as health and aging.

Anthro 2U03 Plagues and People: A consideration of the role played by infectious disease in human evolution. The social and biological outcomes of major epidemics and pandemics, past and present, will be explored.

Anthro 3C03 Health and Environment: Examination of the ways in which humans alter and cope with their environment. Topics include: health inequalities, nutrition, population, urbanization, resource utilization and industrial pollution.

Anthro 3HI3 Health, Illness & Healing: This course examines health, illness and healing in cross-cultural perspective and introduces students to medical anthropology concepts, including the cultural construction of illness and health.

RSA4life says thanks to jaywa for this post.
Old 01-01-2014 at 11:56 PM   #6
Chipmunk

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
barely any in ontario have that requirement.
Ottawa and UofT require it. That's enough to make it worth doing.

RSA4life likes this.
Old 05-05-2014 at 09:48 PM   #7
coeurdepirate

Liked: 0 Times

Mhm. Does anyone know if anthropology courses count as humanity courses? Also, as you said Ottawa and U of T require social sciences/ humanities courses. Does anyone know how many credits need to be completed in these areas?
Old 05-05-2014 at 11:18 PM   #8
Bigmacfatpack

Liked: 13 Times

Aren't examples of humanities/soc science courses like:

-Sociology 1A06?
-(any language courses like) French 1Z06, German, Russian, etc.?
-Linguistics 1A03, 1AA3
Old 05-06-2014 at 06:03 AM   #9
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by coeurdepirate View Post
Mhm. Does anyone know if anthropology courses count as humanity courses? Also, as you said Ottawa and U of T require social sciences/ humanities courses. Does anyone know how many credits need to be completed in these areas?
Yes, anthropology typically counts as a social science. You should double-check about psych though because sometimes they'll accept first-year psych (rarely upper-level psych though) as a social science. So, you might already have that requirement taken care of. You should be able to find the requirements on their websites or on the OMSAS website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmacfatpack View Post
Aren't examples of humanities/soc science courses like:

-Sociology 1A06?
-(any language courses like) French 1Z06, German, Russian, etc.?
-Linguistics 1A03, 1AA3
Those are some examples, but that doesn't mean anthro isn't another example. Sociology is a social science and the other two are humanities (I think).
Old 05-12-2014 at 12:52 PM   #10
AESCheer

I took Classics 2MT3 (Ancient Roots in Medical Terminology) this past year and it was super easy! It was also very helpful as you learn the root words for all major medical terms. I also really liked the prof, as he was very helpful
Old 07-11-2014 at 08:36 PM   #11
coeurdepirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AESCheer View Post
I took Classics 2MT3 (Ancient Roots in Medical Terminology) this past year and it was super easy! It was also very helpful as you learn the root words for all major medical terms. I also really liked the prof, as he was very helpful
Hey AESCheer, I was thinking of taking 2MT3 this year but when I looked through the course outline it said that each class, students will learn 100 new roots and their meanings. I had heard from people that the course was easy but this seemed quite intensive to me. Do you have any feedback, is this actually how the course proceeds?
Old 07-12-2014 at 06:35 PM   #12
cudizOne

Liked: 2 Times

I really like english so if you are decent at it or like it then it's a good way to fulfill the requirement. Also, religion 1B06 is a social science course and it's really easy but boring af. They're supposedly making it better this year though.