MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brandon Fire lorend Brandon Hall Fire Relief 86 10-29-2008 07:41 AM
Brandon Fire: Volunteers Needed!! lorend Brandon Hall Fire Announcements 5 10-24-2008 10:31 AM
Brandon Fire Meeting - RECAP AND IMPORTANT INFO Chad Brandon Hall Fire Announcements 13 10-21-2008 04:54 PM
Brandon Hall Fire Relief Section Opened Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 10-21-2008 12:14 PM
Message from Dr. Peter George on the Brandon Fire kokosas Brandon Hall Fire Announcements 6 10-20-2008 03:47 PM

Meeting Regarding Brandon Hall Fire

Old 10-20-2008 at 03:59 PM   #1
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

For all those parents and students wishing to attend the meeting about the Brandon Hall fire please be advised that it is going to be at the Michael Degroote Center for Learning and Discovery (MDCL) in lecture room 1305 (which is on the first floor). The meeting will start at 7:00 pm.

kenvin100 says thanks to kokosas for this post.
Old 10-20-2008 at 04:21 PM   #2
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

IS there anyway someone on the site can give a brief summary of what happened in the meeting..i unfortunately have my hands fulls cause i have an assignment, 2 midtersm and 2 labs due for this week..although i do have an extension, i feel if i get them done, i dont have to worry or be more stressed enough as it is..

Old 10-20-2008 at 04:31 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Speaking for kokosas and myself, we can't provide you with a summary because we're drowning in midterms at present and unable to attend. We're trying to provide as much help as we can, but unfortunately all we can do is post things at this time.

That being said, there are lots of people in the McMaster community who WILL be attending -- either as students from Brandon or as volunteers. I'm sure you will be able to get some information by later on tonight.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

kenvin100 says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 10-20-2008 at 09:07 PM   #4
hamza7

Liked: 2 Times

Basically
If you lived in floors 1-5 you should be back in as soon as January 2009
If you lived in floors 6-11 you should be back as soon as never in this year (September 2009)

Compensation information will be posted up on mac website tomorrow as well a FAQ's.
Old 10-20-2008 at 11:10 PM   #5
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Liked: 46 Times

Hamza has the gist of it right. The elevator shafts in Brandon are basically ruined, and will take 8 months to fix. Since any dwelling of this sort over five floors has to have working elevators, floors 6-11 will be uninhabitable for the rest of the school year. Floors 1-5 will be available after January 2, 2009.

The majority of the questions from the meeting involved questions about reimbursement of fees, expenses and the like. They were actually incredibly accommodating and basically said that they would reimburse you for everything you incur.

If you live on the second floor, your stuff will be packed up for you (they will videotape the process for you) and put into a secure warehouse for you. This will happen for the other floors as well if we don't get the rest of our stuff by a certain date. They will videotape it so you can be sure that A) nothing is missing and B) nothing taken. I got the hint that it would be done by the restoration company, so you don't have to worry about any McMaster officials finding your huge stash of booze and/or drugs.

They indicated that there would be a lot of information posted up on the DaileyNews website tomorrow, so check there for further details.