MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Currently have Micro econ for next semester, but want macro econ Strategy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 12-08-2010 01:18 PM
Micro / Macro Econ - Quick Question fishman Academics 17 06-13-2010 02:01 PM

Micro and Macro Econ

Old 12-14-2011 at 04:24 PM   #1
Harisan

Liked: 0 Times

Micro and Macro Econ
Should I take both Econ courses (Micro 1BB3 and Macro 1B03) next semester? Is there any reason why I shouldn't do that? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Old 12-14-2011 at 04:34 PM   #2
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

Taking them together should pose no problems

Harisan says thanks to apples12 for this post.

Harisan likes this.
Old 12-14-2011 at 04:38 PM   #3
Nishan Anand

Liked: 6 Times

My opinion is that if you are planning to take both, it is better to take it together. The first half of the content for both courses are the exact same so it will be easier for you to study.

Harisan says thanks to Nishan Anand for this post.

Harisan likes this.
Old 12-14-2011 at 04:44 PM   #4
Harisan

But I heard that the midterms for BOTH courses are on the same Saturday! So I could potentially have 2 Econ Midterms on a Saturday!!! Times two, because there are 2 Midterms for both courses!
Old 12-14-2011 at 04:53 PM   #5
apples12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harisan View Post
But I heard that the midterms for BOTH courses are on the same Saturday! So I could potentially have 2 Econ Midterms on a Saturday!!! Times two, because there are 2 Midterms for both courses!
That was true for when I took the courses... but it honestly was not too bad...

Harisan likes this.
Old 12-14-2011 at 05:11 PM   #6
Harisan

Are both these Econ courses "Bird" courses? I was looking to take some courses that would bump up my gpa, and require less studying time, so that I can focus more on my other harder courses.
Old 12-14-2011 at 05:16 PM   #7
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

was a bird course for me...but i somewhat enjoyed the content. So I listened attentively in class, never studied once and came out of the exam with an 11...with zero effort. Exams were quite a bit more difficult than midterms though, so i would recommend studying for that.

I LIKED the course though. People who hate econ either have to study a lot more or do a lot worse.

Harisan says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.

Harisan likes this.
Old 12-14-2011 at 05:18 PM   #8
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harisan View Post
Are both these Econ courses "Bird" courses? I was looking to take some courses that would bump up my gpa, and require less studying time, so that I can focus more on my other harder courses.
micro econ is definitely a bird course. macro econ is easy but you have to put a little bit of an effort to get a good mark in the class IMO.

Harisan says thanks to icecubz for this post.

Harisan likes this.
Old 12-14-2011 at 05:18 PM   #9
TroubleStorm
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Everyone calls them bird courses. While they are easy (moreso for math/business/science-oriented people) they are not simple. Most people have prior economic knowledge.

They are in no sense a "bird" course. They are relatively easier than most other introductory social science courses and if you have prior knowledge, they are, well, easy.

However, with no prior knowledge you can still easily achieve an A in this class by studying. Don't fall into the same trap that tons of other students fall into with these Econ classes and assume they are a "bird" course and not study at all. You will not get a good grade in these courses without doing the work (albeit there is not much work).

Nothing in University is easy.

Harisan says thanks to TroubleStorm for this post.

Harisan likes this.
Old 12-14-2011 at 05:19 PM   #10
apples12

Micro econ - you can mostly study from the slides... you obviously still have to study but probably less than your other courses
Macro econ - you really need to go to class. Some concepts are pretty difficult especially after the first midterm... so go to class, take notes, read textbook, practice on aplia and a 10+ shouldn't be difficult...

Harisan likes this.
Old 12-14-2011 at 05:27 PM   #11
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

If you take Micro and Macro Econ in the same term, you'll have two midterms on the same day 2x. Also, I'm finishing Micro tomorrow and the content itself isn't tricky but you have to give the material time. Just reading the PPTs doesn't work for me as I'm not content with the level of knowledge I have/should have acquired after reading them. I do a few practice questions to assure myself that I can do the questions and move on.

Harisan says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.

Harisan likes this.
Old 12-16-2011 at 02:23 AM   #12
M0m3nt0

As stated above, the econ midterms are scheduled on the same saturdays. so if you still want to take them together then prepare yourself for writing a morning and mid-afternoon midterm on the same day. Also dont forget to take into consideration that you may also have other assignments due around the same time as these midterms for other courses

Both courses are fairly easy, but try to attend as many macro lectures as you can because the way the material is present is not all that intuitive at first. Go to class, ask the prof questions and you'll do fine.