MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hi Humanities Student Here ! emilyliuu Introduce Yourself 4 08-21-2012 07:49 PM
Hola! Humanities Student!(: rabrab Introduce Yourself 6 08-20-2012 04:59 PM
1st Year Humanities Student Intro! LindsayL216 Introduce Yourself 6 07-11-2011 04:09 PM
Humanities electives (Life Sci student) ShikabaneMai First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-28-2011 03:13 AM

Microeconomics - Humanities student

Old 11-13-2012 at 12:41 PM   #1
natlegz

Liked: 0 Times

Microeconomics - Humanities student
I have a question regarding ECON 1B03 - Micro economics

I am a humanities student, but am currently taking commerce 1B03 as an elective and am finding the course to be quite interesting. I initially took the course so that I could take intro to marketing next year, however after looking at the pre-requisites I discovered that I need to be enrolled in ECON 1B03 not commerce 1B03 - stupid mistake. I am not opposed to taking economics, however I have never taken any sort of business class prior to commerce 1B03 so I am not really familiar with the course and such. I have heard that depending on the prof, it really makes or breaks the class, as well as your grade. As of right now I am not enrolled in the class though I am thinking of taking it next semester. I read that in order to take marketing you need atleast a B -, which seems to be my main concern having never taken economics and that it might be difficult trying to achieve a B - . I was wondering if I could get some input on the class, the professors and if it's really worth switching around my schedule for. Thanks!
Old 11-13-2012 at 12:57 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by natlegz View Post
I have a question regarding ECON 1B03 - Micro economics

I am a humanities student, but am currently taking commerce 1B03 as an elective and am finding the course to be quite interesting. I initially took the course so that I could take intro to marketing next year, however after looking at the pre-requisites I discovered that I need to be enrolled in ECON 1B03 not commerce 1B03 - stupid mistake. I am not opposed to taking economics, however I have never taken any sort of business class prior to commerce 1B03 so I am not really familiar with the course and such. I have heard that depending on the prof, it really makes or breaks the class, as well as your grade. As of right now I am not enrolled in the class though I am thinking of taking it next semester. I read that in order to take marketing you need atleast a B -, which seems to be my main concern having never taken economics and that it might be difficult trying to achieve a B - . I was wondering if I could get some input on the class, the professors and if it's really worth switching around my schedule for. Thanks!
Which professor(s) would be teaching ECON 1B03 next term? If Hannah Holmes is teaching it, take it with her. I took the course with her, and it was the first time I ever took a "business" or related course. Like many others, I always ended up with a very nice mark. You just have to put in an appropriate amount of time into the course, and you'll get what you want out of it.
Old 11-13-2012 at 01:03 PM   #3
natlegz

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Which professor(s) would be teaching ECON 1B03 next term? If Hannah Holmes is teaching it, take it with her. I took the course with her, and it was the first time I ever took a "business" or related course. Like many others, I always ended up with a very nice mark. You just have to put in an appropriate amount of time into the course, and you'll get what you want out of it.
It turns out that Hannah Holmes is teaching next semester during the day! However, I checked on SOLAR and both econ classes are full as of now. Is it possible that they will open up or I can talk to somebody? Also, can humanities students take economics? Under the faculty section of the timetable it says SOCIAL SCIENCES - I'm wondering if this means that only people in soc sci can take it?
Old 11-13-2012 at 01:14 PM   #4
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
It turns out that Hannah Holmes is teaching next semester during the day! However, I checked on SOLAR and both econ classes are full as of now. Is it possible that they will open up or I can talk to somebody? Also, can humanities students take economics? Under the faculty section of the timetable it says SOCIAL SCIENCES - I'm wondering if this means that only people in soc sci can take it?
Well obviously the last thing you said is not true, because I'm not in faculty of Social Sciences myself. I believe anyone can take it as long as you didn't take ARTS&SCI 2E03.

There is always a possibility that either one or both will open up. You will just have to keep on checking between now and the first day of term 2 I guess. I'm not sure who you would be able to contact regarding it though. So many students want to take that course for their own respective opinions. Do you want to pursue a minor in Marketing, if that's even possible? Maybe you could send the professor an e-mail stating so..and state that is the reason why you need to take this course before you can take any Marketing courses.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask her, or via PM. We're all here to help.

Thanks,

Humza
Old 11-13-2012 at 02:19 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
You can take any course from any faculty for which you have the prerequisites. In some cases one of the prerequisites is that you are in a certain program/faculty, but this is explicitly noted in the course calendar.
That applies for all courses at McMaster.
Old 11-17-2012 at 12:18 AM   #6
keiser=)

Liked: 12 Times

Try to contact the academic advisor for the department of economics (go to the website and click on contact under iits people tab) if you really want to take economics. i'm pretty sure that they will give you a spot as long you explain your reason why you have to take economics 1b03. As for taking marketing, You have to be to be in social science in 2nd year to take social science 2mr3 or 4th/5th year to take commerce 2ma3. 2mr3 and 2ma3 have the same topic which is introduction in marketing. But if I were you I will take commerce 2ma3 if you are in senior years in undergraduate because you can fulfill requirement for minoring in business. Overall, it doesnt matter whatever you get in commerce 1b03, the only matter is if you can get B- in economics which I believe you can achieve it. Good luck!