MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mills Learning Commons 24/7 KristaG Academics 10 12-08-2009 07:12 PM
Mills Learning Commons 24/7 for Exams! KristaG Academics 1 03-23-2008 11:42 AM
Mills Learning Commons To Be Open 24/7 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-21-2008 07:47 PM
Vending Machine in Mills Learning Commons! KristaG General Discussion 3 11-17-2007 11:02 PM

Mills Learning Commons

Old 10-07-2006 at 03:26 PM   #1
sarahsweet

Liked: 13 Times

Mills Learning Commons
I really like the concept behind the Mills learning commons. Anyone else done any work in there?

I find it is usually always busy and there is no room when I go there, but when I do find a spot it is pretty nice. So much better to have a lot more computers, as it takes the load off of the computers in the actual library on the second floor.
Old 10-07-2006 at 03:28 PM   #2
smiles-4-all

Liked: 0 Times

You can read more about it at this site:
http://library.mcmaster.ca/mills/learningcommons/

I like it, its definately the right direction Mac should be taking for group study areas. We just need more places like this now around campus!
Old 10-07-2006 at 03:32 PM   #3
williamhend

I see they added a little help center in the middle of the room... what is it for?
Old 10-07-2006 at 03:37 PM   #4
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

The floor plan
Here is the floor plan they originally had, it is a bit different that this, and see somewhat of a plan for the help centre in the middle labelled "assist station"

I like the LCD screens they have around the library now... sure beats that little computer monitor that they used to have at the entrance!

Old 10-07-2006 at 03:50 PM   #5
Arij

ya the learning commons is sick now! last year they just had big tables around the area, but now they have sleek new computers and an awesome design.

though i have only managed to get a spot there once .. it's usually really packed .. i guess everyone wants to be there
Old 10-07-2006 at 04:04 PM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Daily News Article
Here is the official Daily News article on the Learning Commons. Great!

Quote:
Mills Learning Commons officially opens today

Students inquire, discover and learn at newly renovated facilty

by Anne Plessl
October 05, 2006

The McLay Reading Room, the large study space on the 2nd floor of Mills Library, received a major makeover this past summer.

The renovation of McLay is Phase 1 of the Mills Learning Commons Project.

The room re-opened on Sept. 20 and was filled with students within a few hours--some with their own laptops, others using the library's desktop computers or working at the brand new study tables.

Students claimed the room immediately and are thrilled with the transformation.

"Sweet," said one of the first five students entering the room on the first day.

"The new library commons room rocks!" said another. In particular, students like the new computer chairs, for which they "voted with their seats" late last spring.

The Mills Learning Commons is a place for students to continue the process of learning that begins in the classroom; they come to learn individually or in groups with access to expert help when and how they need it.

They can get research help from librarians in person or via chat, or get help with a variety of IT problems from peers who work as student consultants in University Technology Services.

Additionally, the Centre for Student Development (CSD) offers writing clinics and academic skills counseling, and there are services and adaptive software for students with disabilities.

Key features of the physical space include more computers (Mills students' top priority in the 2005 Space Survey) and more software, including MS Office.

There are powered laptop zones, including a laptop area with bistro seating, lounge seating for those who like to study in comfort, and wireless access throughout.

Another new addition is the digital signage in the commons and in the lobby of Mills that displays important library and commons partners news.

Still to come are quick-access stations for quick searches, refurbishing of the Reference Area, and completion of group study rooms on the 3rd floor.

The Mills Learning Commons was funded through a generous grant from the University's Refining Directions fund and a generous gift from McMaster alumni Alan and Brenda Wong.

The Commons Project is a collaborative project of the Centre for Leadership in Learning, the Centre for Student Development, McMaster University Library and University Technology Services.

The McMaster community is invited to celebrate the official opening of the Mills Learning Commons on Thursday, Oct. 5 at 3 p.m. on the 2nd floor of Mills Library.
URL: http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /story.cfm?id=4270
Old 10-07-2006 at 04:06 PM   #7
v-pop

I can never find a spot in there, but it looks really nice. Very university-friendly.
Old 10-10-2006 at 07:54 AM   #8
KristaG
Mills - Reference Librarian

Liked: 37 Times

Mills Learning Commons help
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhend View Post
I see they added a little help center in the middle of the room... what is it for?

I'm glad you noticed the help center in the middle of the Learning Commons. It's there to help you with whatever you need. One desk is an IT help desk, with UTS students who can help you set up wireless and answer any IT problems you are having (ie. problems printing or opening a document). The other desk is for research help. If you need help finding books or articles for the paper that's due tomorrow, you can ask here. We've placed the help desks in there so that you don't have to get up and leave the learning commons to get help from the research help desk in the reference area. We're there for you, so please feel free to ask your questions there!
Old 10-10-2006 at 09:52 AM   #9
williamhend

Hi Krista! Great to see the librarian on here, thats awesume. So basically they've just duplicated the helpdesk in the reference section and put a mini version of it in the learning commons for quick help. I like it!
Old 10-10-2006 at 09:54 AM   #10
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Hey Krista, glad you could join us! The Learning Commons is definately going to help out a lot of students and I'm looking forward to seeing how it is utilized throughout the year!
Old 10-10-2006 at 09:56 AM   #11
KristaG

So are we! I'm glad to be part of the community and to hear the positive responses to the Learning Commons so far! Hope to see you there
Old 10-17-2006 at 03:24 PM   #12
paul
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 2 Times

Unfortunately I haven't seen it yet.
Since I live at home I don't go around campus too much, just finish my classes and head on home.
Although I've been in the old one multiple times, I'll go in soon to check it out, it looks really nice from the pictures.
Old 10-17-2006 at 11:02 PM   #13
sarahsweet

Liked: 13 Times

You need to check it out paul, its great! My only complaint is that there are no spots available... ever. It is always too busy! They need more Learning Commons scattered around campus hehe
Old 10-18-2006 at 12:39 AM   #14
williamhend

It looks great, I haven't tried the help desk out yet.. i need help with MLA citation
Old 10-18-2006 at 07:46 AM   #15
KristaG

I'm glad to hear you enjoy the learning commons. It is a busy place. As for more learning commons, there is a pilot learning commons in Thode, which could be expanded or changed if it goes well. Health Sciences will also have a small learning commons once construction is done. I think Innis is too small to get a learning commons. They may not be exactly like the Mills Learning Commons but you might want to check them out at some point.