MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
biochemistry kwyhan Academics 1 06-13-2010 03:25 PM
Biopsych students can't minor in biochemistry? Toast Academics 0 06-09-2010 05:26 AM
what is biochemistry to you? oDianao Academics 1 06-01-2010 07:29 PM

Minor in Biochemistry

Old 05-31-2010 at 11:22 AM   #1
goldfish101

Liked: 19 Times

Minor in Biochemistry
Hi, I was wondering if there are any students on macinsiders who are currently pursuing a minor in biochemistry. I was wondering if you have any thoughts, recommendations, and etc.

To do a minor, we need

1) 6 units from CHEM 1A03, 1AA3 (See Note 2 above.)

- which I covered already

2) 6 units CHEM 2OA3, 2OB3 (See Note 1 above.)

- I am currently doing this in the summer

3) 6 units from BIOCHEM 2B03, 2BB3, 2EE3, 3D03, 3G03, HTH SCI 2E03
4) 6 units Levels III, IV Biochemistry (See Note 3 above.)
-If I decide to do a minor in biochem, then I am planning to take
BIOCHEM 2EE3 (Metabolism and Physiological Chemistry) & 3GO3
BIOCHEM 4Q03 & BIOCHEM 3H03

and possibly other BIOCHEM courses that I am interested in
I am planning to take 2ee3 during my second year and the other courses during my 3rd & 4th year since I have alot of electives during my third/4th year

Last edited by goldfish101 : 05-31-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-31-2010 at 11:31 AM   #2
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

looks good, those are pretty much the classes I would take if I wasn't in the program but pursuing a minor in biochemistry

goldfish101, sana1504 all say thanks to kenneth526 for this post.
Old 05-31-2010 at 11:45 AM   #3
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

I took Biochem 2EE3 and 3G03. 2EE3 was a bit tough when I took it 3 years ago. I took 3G03 first term... it was pretty easy! It's mostly memorizing though... and I really didn't feel like I learned much =/
Old 05-31-2010 at 12:23 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Oh cool, I'm 2 courses away from a minor... I wonder if I should pursue it.

I took Biochem 2B03, if Nodwell is teaching still teaching it then it'll be a good course. It's not that easy but Nodwell explains it very well, his slides are very simple and he goes step by step what happens.

2EE3 was extremely boring and was pretty much all memorization of every detail. Very time consuming.
Old 06-03-2010 at 07:49 AM   #5
Ashlie

Liked: 10 Times

I took Biochem 3D03 last term with Dr. MacDonald- great prof and a good course. It focused a lot on metabolic pathways, so a bit of memorizing but it was pretty easy since they all connected. The format of the course was also pretty good- there was no final exam, but instead there was a final project where you could work with as many people as you wanted and do whatever kind of project you wanted, as long as it focused on a metabolic diseases and enzyme.

I've heard nutrition, 3N03 is also similar since it was the same prof. According to the master timetable it seems she is teaching both courses again.