MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I think i missed the deadline to submit the new student form. What should I do? kkis1203 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-15-2011 08:04 PM
deferred/missed mid-term? daniasa Academics 3 03-13-2011 02:23 PM
Residence Cancellation/Refund Deadline Has Been Extended niteskie MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-02-2009 02:12 PM

Missed Term 1 Cancellation Deadline

Old 11-11-2011 at 11:48 PM   #1
DutchRudder

Liked: 15 Times

Missed Term 1 Cancellation Deadline
So I wrote the Chem 1A03 midterm tonight knowing that if I didn't feel confident about it I would cancel the course tonight. Long story short, I didn't make it home in time and missed the deadline by 15 minutes. I just emailed the registrar to see if there was anything I could do. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or any advice?
Old 11-12-2011 at 03:54 AM   #2
eccentrikkk

Liked: 8 Times

hope you did well on the midterm and study for the final exam
Old 11-12-2011 at 04:36 AM   #3
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

I haven't had experience with this but just look at this RATIONALLY, it's your fault you missed the deadline. You better explain your "long story short" because if they even consider helping you out, they want a valid excuse (death, went to hospital, whatever). Even then, who knows if they can do anything. If your reason is that you went out with friends or something or work, I don't think they're gonna do anything for you. But again, I have no clue about how these situations are handled so best of luck. What is your excuse anyways?
Old 11-12-2011 at 05:33 AM   #4
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

You can try, but it's really unlikely that they'll make an exception just for you.
Old 11-12-2011 at 07:59 AM   #5
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Go to your academic advisor...last year I cancelled a course and two days later they let me add it back on...sooo anythings possible...
Old 11-12-2011 at 07:59 AM   #6
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

you had 2 months. it is your own damn fault

alyssarr, britb like this.
Old 11-12-2011 at 09:35 AM   #7
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

You can blameit on the fact that mugsi was unvaiable since 11pm...you thought you would have until 12pm. they should have waited until after 12, knowing that ppl would be droppping last minute
Old 11-12-2011 at 10:39 AM   #8
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

yes it is possible - i had a friend who went in after the deadline and said "mugsi wasn't working" and they let them drop it
Old 11-12-2011 at 12:36 PM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
You can blameit on the fact that mugsi was unvaiable since 11pm...you thought you would have until 12pm. they should have waited until after 12, knowing that ppl would be droppping last minute
No, it's next Friday that MUGSI will be unavailable starting at 11pm.
I was on MUGSI last night around midnight, it was totally fine.

@ the OP, there's no guarantee they'll let you drop it without failure by default. You better have a really good excuse.
Old 11-12-2011 at 01:30 PM   #10
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

lol i just read thatit wouldbe available from friday then went to next unread msg
Old 11-14-2011 at 10:34 PM   #11
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

Any luck?
/12 chars
Old 11-17-2011 at 03:27 PM   #12
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchRudder View Post
So I wrote the Chem 1A03 midterm tonight knowing that if I didn't feel confident about it I would cancel the course tonight. Long story short, I didn't make it home in time and missed the deadline by 15 minutes. I just emailed the registrar to see if there was anything I could do. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or any advice?
You think you did bad on one midterm and want to drop a course? -rollseyes- Why is everyone such a wimp now?

Chevalier, MCHEDDENITE like this.
Old 11-17-2011 at 03:44 PM   #13
RockerSocker
Account Locked

Liked: 90 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
You think you did bad on one midterm and want to drop a course? -rollseyes- Why is everyone such a wimp now?
What if he got less than like 30% or something? Then he wouldn't be a wimp, he'd be a moron for not studying. Anyways, just go with the "I couldn't get on MUGSI, it kept giving me an error" excuse; exploit and milk the technical mess that is MUGSI for all that it's worth.
Old 11-17-2011 at 07:34 PM   #14
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

lol ah chem 1a03 is still the weed out course. I agree with Brtib , man up get the credit and move on

Last edited by MCHEDDENITE : 11-17-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-17-2011 at 10:59 PM   #15
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

You can’t quit now since you missed the deadline, so you gotta keep on going, I understand what you mean because I was in the exact same position (different courses though). First year is tough and so many times students don’t do well because it’s a different environment/system from high school. I would suggest you go through your midterms and see where you went wrong, if it doesn’t work sit with yourself and think about your study habits. Think about how you can get higher results on the exam. Exams are usually harder and worth more than the midterms. Here’s the thing, you still have about two weeks before exams, if you can use all your time and resources (tas, profs, etc.),wisely I can guarantee that you can do good on your exams. Two weeks sounds to me like only 14 days, right ? But it should be enough to prepare you for the exams if you start acting now and get very serious about it.

University is not impossible, it’s just a matter of hard work, the harder you work the better/higher marks you’re gonna get. I don’t believe that there are people who are better than us, we are all the same, but some people take it to the next level by managing their time well and pulling good gpa’s.

Also, you mentioned confidence…if you wanna do well in school and life in general you have to have confidence and be confident in what you do. I just wanna make a suggestion here, if you feel that something is distracting you from school, get rid of that thing. If Facebook is the problem here, deactivate it until you finish your exams, if it’s something else, try to stop it or at least ignore it.

All the best with your exams.