MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Mock Timetable vs. Assigned Timetable Theashe First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-11-2010 01:57 PM
Help, can anyone check my mock timetable, please ! ruby101 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 07-16-2010 09:16 PM
Mock timetable... Advice Please! kgrun First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-24-2010 07:19 PM
Another mock timetable... oranges First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 06-07-2010 02:44 PM
How To Make A Mock Timetable feonateresa ARCHIVES 8 08-23-2009 02:05 PM

Mock Timetable

Old 06-07-2010 at 01:58 AM   #16
vp15

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.L. View Post
Well, I've never had Dumont or Landry but I have had Locke and she is arguably one of the best profs. in the science department so I completely understand where you are coming from.

Jeff Landry is the 1st year lab coordinator so I don't know anything about his teaching style and I have never heard of Dumont.

I hope you get into Locke's section because the majority want to get into her class and it ends up being full! Sorry I can't help you much more.
I hope that I will get into her section too.. and thanks for the help you provided.. I guess I'll find a tutor or something if I am struggling in the physics.
Old 06-07-2010 at 09:59 AM   #17
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Hey. Another thing you should note down, as well is that when you choose a particular lab for Chem, let's say, lab "45", your tutorial automatically becomes 45, as well. You can't mix and match different tutorials and labs for chem. That's the reason why they're EOW. You'll have lab in that time-slot one week and the tutorial in the same time-slot the next week. Other than that, it seems fine. Though, it's very jam-packed and year-one-like xD. Almost looks the same as mine, when I was in year one haha.

Before I forget, you can go to other Chem. tutorials- as many as you like, actually, if you need more help. Though, for the cores, you can't do that (although, I don't know how they're gonna do it for you guys) because you get iclicker marks in being in the core you originally signed up for.

Hope all of this helps!
Old 06-07-2010 at 01:07 PM   #18
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

if you're going to take phys 1B03 first term, then there's no point to taking 1L03 at all--it's not just that it's out of sequence, once you have 1B03 i don't think they'll let you take 1L03. 1L03 is meant for people who either havent taken gr12 physics and need to take that before 1B03, or people who are looking for an easy physics course to satisfy a program requirement. if you can't switch the terms because 1L03 conflicts with chem, then you should probably just drop 1L03 entirely and take an elective
Old 06-07-2010 at 03:15 PM   #19
spenceman91

Liked: 9 Times

If you were planning to take Physics 1B03 first term, then I would assume you've done grade 11 and 12 physics.. if that's so then i wouldnt bother taking 1L03 at all.. Another thing: I would try to avoid Landry for chemistry, I had him last year and he wasn't the greatest.
Old 06-07-2010 at 04:38 PM   #20
vp15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunaltandan View Post
Hey. Another thing you should note down, as well is that when you choose a particular lab for Chem, let's say, lab "45", your tutorial automatically becomes 45, as well. You can't mix and match different tutorials and labs for chem. That's the reason why they're EOW. You'll have lab in that time-slot one week and the tutorial in the same time-slot the next week. Other than that, it seems fine. Though, it's very jam-packed and year-one-like xD. Almost looks the same as mine, when I was in year one haha.

Before I forget, you can go to other Chem. tutorials- as many as you like, actually, if you need more help. Though, for the cores, you can't do that (although, I don't know how they're gonna do it for you guys) because you get iclicker marks in being in the core you originally signed up for.

Hope all of this helps!

Oh thank you so much.. i was wondering what EOW meant okay so now im glad i know. So according to what you are saying I can attend as many tutorials as I would like? Im glad that this is possible cause I was wondering what can I do if I need extra help. I am confused about what you said about the cores. Basically is it that you cant attend other cores?
Old 06-07-2010 at 04:45 PM   #21
vp15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
if you're going to take phys 1B03 first term, then there's no point to taking 1L03 at all--it's not just that it's out of sequence, once you have 1B03 i don't think they'll let you take 1L03. 1L03 is meant for people who either havent taken gr12 physics and need to take that before 1B03, or people who are looking for an easy physics course to satisfy a program requirement. if you can't switch the terms because 1L03 conflicts with chem, then you should probably just drop 1L03 entirely and take an elective
Oh okay then.. the reason I wanted to take both physics were because to keep my options open if there was a possibility I could get into the BioPsych program so according to their requirements, they wanted phys 1B03 and i'm not the strongest student in physics so I figured taking both physics will help them choose inbetween the two but I checked again and according to their requirements they only want one; but they want phys 1B03 completed by year II so now I am thinking I will take phys 1L03 and then do the other physics in the summer. Thank you for making my life a bit easier. =)
Old 06-07-2010 at 04:48 PM   #22
vp15

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenceman91 View Post
If you were planning to take Physics 1B03 first term, then I would assume you've done grade 11 and 12 physics.. if that's so then i wouldnt bother taking 1L03 at all.. Another thing: I would try to avoid Landry for chemistry, I had him last year and he wasn't the greatest.
I'm thinking taking 1L03 physics will help me because although I took physics in grade 11 and 12, I am definitely not the strongest in that subject matter; thus I am thinking I will take an elective in first term and take 1L03 in term 2 and then if I need physics 1Bo3 ill take it in the summer. Thank you for the advice on Landry.
Old 06-07-2010 at 05:48 PM   #23
spenceman91

Liked: 9 Times

Sounds good, also look ahead to what you want to do next year.. alot of programs you apply for at the end of first year need physics 1B03 by the end of second year so if your the kind of person who wants to get it outta the way then i would consider taking it first year

vp15 says thanks to spenceman91 for this post.
Old 06-08-2010 at 09:41 AM   #24
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp15 View Post
Oh thank you so much.. i was wondering what EOW meant okay so now im glad i know. So according to what you are saying I can attend as many tutorials as I would like? Im glad that this is possible cause I was wondering what can I do if I need extra help. I am confused about what you said about the cores. Basically is it that you cant attend other cores?
For example, if you have Core 1 or C01, then that's the core you must attend because I'm pretty sure that you're going to be doing iclicker questions. iclicker questions are like M/C, but you do them as a class, so if you need help doing them, you can always converse with your neighbour(s) for the "correct" answer. These iclicker questions occur in each core, but the one you signed up for is where, if you get them right, you receive marks for. iclicker questions are worth 2% of your final mark, or they were, for us, last year. You can go to other cores if you want, but they're not gonna help towards your iclicker marks.

vp15 says thanks to kunaltandan for this post.
Old 06-08-2010 at 09:45 AM   #25
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Sounds good, also look ahead to what you want to do next year.. alot of programs you apply for at the end of first year need physics 1B03 by the end of second year so if your the kind of person who wants to get it outta the way then i would consider taking it first year
Agreed. And also, the undergrad calendar that's up is for this year's major registration and not 2011-2012. Trust me, it changes every year. I couldn't get into Honour's Life Sci., 'cause I didn't substitute another science course for the physics course I didn't take. They keep popping out new rules every year. It's actually pretty stupid because people look at the current year's undergrad calendar for the courses they need for their majors, because that's the only one that's out. By the time you apply for your majors, it's almost the end of the year and THEN the new undergrad calendar is released. It's weird and stupid, and definitely McMaster-like.

vp15 says thanks to kunaltandan for this post.
Old 06-11-2010 at 12:19 AM   #26
crys.eg

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.L. View Post
Hey,

I looked at your timetable and everything seems pretty compact, especially for 2nd term, so good job. You are way ahead in terms of planning your courses.

But I noticed that you are taking Physics 1L03 in 2nd term. Given that this physics is considered an introductory physics course or a more dumbed down version of Physics 1B03 (it doesn't require gr.12 physics), I would suggest switching those two courses around so that Physics 1L03 is in first term and Physics 1B03 is in second term if that is possible. Itjust seems like a more natural progression and if physics is not your strongest subject, it would be good to get the basics down really well.

If you dont need PHYSICS 1B03 dont take it.
If you can get away with 1L03 than only take 1L03... trust me.
big mistake on my part
If you take 1B03 first term, you dont need to take 1L03 2nd term, I would seriously consider that a waste of time, even if you do love physics.

In the event that you do love physics, you can take 1B03 and then 1BB3.
That would do you a lot better.

GOOD LUCK

vp15 says thanks to crys.eg for this post.
Old 06-11-2010 at 02:06 AM   #27
vp15

Quote:
For example, if you have Core 1 or C01, then that's the core you must attend because I'm pretty sure that you're going to be doing iclicker questions. iclicker questions are like M/C, but you do them as a class, so if you need help doing them, you can always converse with your neighbour(s) for the "correct" answer. These iclicker questions occur in each core, but the one you signed up for is where, if you get them right, you receive marks for. iclicker questions are worth 2% of your final mark, or they were, for us, last year. You can go to other cores if you want, but they're not gonna help towards your iclicker marks.
Oh okay i understand it now. One question are u allowed to attend tutorials even if you aren't taking the course. For instance, if I wanted to attend the tutorials for the university courses they have for students who didn't take physics or calculus, etc, can I attend those even if I am not enrolled in that course just for review?
Old 06-11-2010 at 02:09 AM   #28
vp15

Quote:
Agreed. And also, the undergrad calendar that's up is for this year's major registration and not 2011-2012. Trust me, it changes every year. I couldn't get into Honour's Life Sci., 'cause I didn't substitute another science course for the physics course I didn't take. They keep popping out new rules every year. It's actually pretty stupid because people look at the current year's undergrad calendar for the courses they need for their majors, because that's the only one that's out. By the time you apply for your majors, it's almost the end of the year and THEN the new undergrad calendar is released. It's weird and stupid, and definitely McMaster-like.
Oh really cause this is completely what I was using. So if you don't know ahead of time what is required, how are you to fulfill the requirements? That seems pretty stupid that they don't inform students ahead of time and have the requirements ready.
Old 06-11-2010 at 02:11 AM   #29
vp15

Quote:
What are science majors one can do other than Life Science, and the main sciences? If I do physics 1B03 in the summer wouldn't that satisfy the requirement of fulfilling it before end of second year?
Old 06-11-2010 at 10:07 AM   #30
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp15 View Post
Oh really cause this is completely what I was using. So if you don't know ahead of time what is required, how are you to fulfill the requirements? That seems pretty stupid that they don't inform students ahead of time and have the requirements ready.
Because they assume you're going to take the generic science courses if you're a science student: 2 bio, 2 chems, 1 math, 1 physics (the harder one), 2 psychs. As long as you have something like that, you're bound to get in most of the science majors. I think this is incredibly stupid of Mac to force you to take all of these science courses when you wanna major in something specific. For example, in uoft, to get into psych, all you need is the year one Psych to get in.