MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer jobs on campus arjunbhaga Volunteering Opportunities 18 03-28-2012 11:18 PM
Food on Campus in the Summer faytless General Discussion 18 04-27-2010 11:51 PM
Summer jobs on campus Chad Volunteering Opportunities 1 04-04-2008 09:43 AM

Mormon Recruiters On Campus This Summer

Old 08-16-2013 at 04:48 PM   #1
ownthesky

Liked: 0 Times

Mormon Recruiters On Campus This Summer
I've noticed throughout this summer that a group of Mormons have been hanging around campus preaching to students. I don't see anything wrong with this; I'm an atheist, but I believe you should have the right to share your faith so long as you aren't harassing or molesting people. One thing that has caught my eye is that this group seem to be specifically targeting Asian Canadians. I just watched 3 of them at Main and Emerson this afternoon ignore droves of students, but pursue people that appear ethnically of Asian origin.

Does anyone know what their story is?
Old 08-16-2013 at 06:42 PM   #2
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Woah, seriously? I haven't noticed this yet. There were some super, duper loud Evangelists or something outside of Jackson Square today yelling and preaching though.
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.
Old 08-16-2013 at 07:23 PM   #3
billyc59
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Were they something like this?

http : //www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKkLV1zE8M0
Old 08-16-2013 at 08:46 PM   #4
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

Better than those guys in Toronto. Well actually they're pretty nice, always trying to save me!
Old 08-16-2013 at 10:10 PM   #5
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

They have been there during the school year as well. Clearly our tuition goes to keep us safe from trespassers, and all our security guards are able to pass a physical examination.
Old 08-16-2013 at 10:16 PM   #6
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

I got approached by a Mormon the other week downtown near my work. I told them by favourite band is Mormon (Low), they tried to tell me how "with it" they are for listening to The Arkells, asked what I did for a living, and then asked if I wanted to join the church. I politely said "no thanks" and they were friendly, gave me a card and didn't try to pressure me.

Not anything like the people Sarah mentioned, that's just scawwy!

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

sarahsullz likes this.
Old 08-17-2013 at 09:41 AM   #7
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

They've been at it for at least several years on campus (during school year as well). And I'm assuming they approach Asians because they're hoping they can speak their native language with them (the Mormons I'm referring to were always also Asian). And they did pressure for your contact information even if you say no, you're busy, you have class to rush to, etc.

Would be nice to not have to try hard to dodge them upon sight, but there doesn't seem to be much the school can/does do to prevent them being there and pressuring students on campus.
Old 08-17-2013 at 09:43 AM   #8
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Mormons (mostly men) are strongly encouraged to serve missions, so most of them will be quite young (19-21 is the most common age) and likely not from around here originally. For these two reasons, I usually find they won't push you too far, especially if you show them you aren't willing to be pushed. I've never seen them on campus, but I have been approached in the Main and Emerson area a few times during my tenure at Mac. They're usually wearing dress clothes and ties and a name tag that will identify them as Latter Day Saints representatives. Honestly I find them a lot less annoying than the people from the divinity college (or wherever) who approach you on campus when you're just trying to enjoy a Willy Dog.
Old 08-17-2013 at 02:02 PM   #9
ownthesky

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsullz View Post
Woah, seriously? I haven't noticed this yet. There were some super, duper loud Evangelists or something outside of Jackson Square today yelling and preaching though.
The Jackson Square guys are very "fire and brimstone" sounding from what I remember. They also don't look like very friendly (or hygienic) characters even without the signs and yelling.

Quote:
They've been at it for at least several years on campus (during school year as well). And I'm assuming they approach Asians because they're hoping they can speak their native language with them (the Mormons I'm referring to were always also Asian). And they did pressure for your contact information even if you say no, you're busy, you have class to rush to, etc.
One of the tall Caucasian guys seems to speak conversational Mandarin. I thought they might be preparing for a mission in China, but that kind of thing would probably get you tossed in jail pretty quickly. My inner skeptic tells me that they're targeting new Canadians because they are less familiar with their church and may be an easier convert.
Old 08-17-2013 at 03:00 PM   #10
ronchohoncho

Liked: 1 Time

Some Mormons came to my door last year asking me if I spoke Mandarin. I think they wanted me to translate something for them.