MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LSB this Morning??? britb General Discussion 4 10-04-2010 08:56 PM
Bus to Hamilton GO on a Saturday morning MarissaK General Discussion 3 11-28-2009 12:00 AM
When do timetables open for changing? Now, or tomorrow morning? aviaf First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 08-10-2008 11:40 PM
The Big Day Tomorrow Morning! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 02-07-2008 07:37 AM

morning classes?

Old 07-26-2009 at 02:59 PM   #16
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Just don't come twenty minutes late, it never looks good on you. I remember people coming in like twenty minutes before class ended and it was like, why did they bother coming .
Old 07-26-2009 at 03:15 PM   #17
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Just don't come twenty minutes late, it never looks good on you. I remember people coming in like twenty minutes before class ended and it was like, why did they bother coming .
haha....yeah no point coming that late!
Old 07-26-2009 at 03:55 PM   #18
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanishka View Post
are u saying it doesn't matter if we are late to the class?
As mentioned by other posters, it really depends on the professor.

If you have a very large class, it probably won't make a difference so long as you are courteous and try not to be disruptive when you enter. Enter through the back doors so you don't cross right in front of the professor, etc.

In either case, large or small, you may want to speak with the professor beforehand just to let them know you don't mean to be rude. Any time I've had a professor who hates late students, it's because he or she had this predisposed notion of students being lazy and not leaving on time. But having to walk across campus in 10 minutes is a good reason, and they will understand. (:

Professors really are more laid back than the rumours suggest. They're portrayed horribly on television and such, humiliating students who ask questions, or forcing late students to leave. They're actually quite kind, helpful and accomodating. (:

EDIT: Just to give an example, in my third year I had 6 straight hours of classes/labs from 8:30-2:30, twice a week (which was horrible!! I was overloading and had really bad luck), and I started to crash around 12:30 and not pay attention in my last two classes. Even though I didn't have to walk particularly far to reach my 12:30 class, I spoke with the professor and we came to an agreement that I would come 10 minutes late every class, and go grab some lunch for myself in the meantime.

The professor let me stay a few minutes after each lecture to summarize what was talked about. Very accomodating indeed! You just have to ask. (:

Last edited by Mowicz : 07-26-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-27-2009 at 02:16 PM   #19
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

I'm going into fourth year, and I've never really had a problem with morning classes. I even take the bus, which means I get up at 6am for an 8:30am class - and I am NOT a morning person.
I don't know why, but morning classes don't bother me. I guess because the bus takes so long, I prefer to go to school early and get home early. I would rather start at 8:30am and end at 3:30pm, than start at 10:30am and end at 5:30pm, you know?

As for coming in late, some profs get annoyed, some don't. It just depends on the professor. I assume the earlier the class, the more likely the prof is going to be annoyed because he assumes you slept in.

Some professors are so over the top with this kind of stuff. I had one professor in second year yell at me because the person beside me stepped on my foot, apologized and I said "that's okay". The prof threatened to kick me out infront of the whole class if I didn't stop talking. It was ridiculous. My advice is: be on time and as quiet as possible in class until you know what kind of prof you have.

[Side note: I really hate it when professors complain when people come into class late. People coming in late NEVER bothers or distracts me. I only notice late people when the prof points them out]

Last edited by HeatherH : 07-27-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-27-2009 at 02:20 PM   #20
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

I had couple of 8:30 lectures. Most of the time, I go in early with a coffee and half-asleep, sit in the first row and fall asleep while the prof is lecturing.

Old 07-27-2009 at 02:53 PM   #21
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
I had couple of 8:30 lectures. Most of the time, I go in early with a coffee and half-asleep, sit in the first row and fall asleep while the prof is lecturing.
LOL. I can't remember what class it was, I think it was my Anthro class last year. I was sitting beside this guy in the front row who had fallen asleep. The prof actually stopped, looked at him and made some snide comment. We all laughed about it, but I'm surprised she actually stopped the lecture.
Old 07-27-2009 at 04:36 PM   #22
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

I prefer to have my classes early. It gets them over with and gives me more time in the rest of the day to do whatever I need to do. It also makes scheduling shifts for my part-time job much easier.
Old 07-27-2009 at 08:19 PM   #23
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I actually like morning classes as you get more out of your day. 8:30 class with a good prof >> late class with a crappy prof.
Old 07-27-2009 at 09:00 PM   #24
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

4 830 classes + 1 930 first semester if I remember correctly. Attended about 80% of em, always tired (refuse to drink coffee) and occasionally passed out in class (Jopko has that effect on people), and I don't think my profs ever cared/mentioned. There are always a few of us there. 5 830 classes second semester. Attended first month and half, and got sick of it. Skipped most, but I am very diligent and always was caught up, so never had much of an affect on my performance. Not everyone can do it, sure it helped my schedule for work immensely, and allowed to me do tons with most days ending (relatively) early, but again, not for everyone.

I had one prof in particular (Hoyt) for materials, that I thought was excellent. But I went to about 1/5 of his classes just because it was 830, and after a while the constant assignments/grind of life just gets to ya, and you end up going to other profs/not at all. A good prof doesn't necessarily save you from a sleepy class. Just my 2 cents. GL with upcoming year