MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Question Regarding Bunk and Loft Swampis Residence & Housing 1 09-01-2011 03:34 PM
A materials question and a chem question. (course stuff) Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 03-05-2011 12:20 AM
Graduate school admission question (easy question) Mac12 Academics 3 09-30-2008 06:27 PM

the most hated question

Old 03-04-2013 at 08:13 PM   #1
Ponyo

Liked: 274 Times

the most hated question
sorry guys ...
i wana msaf a physics quiz (physics l03) so i can review for my night test
does msaf ask for a medical proof ?
thanks in advance
Old 03-04-2013 at 08:20 PM   #2
biglandfarm

Liked: 66 Times

nope, but you have to make up some conditions ie fever for msaf. and rmbr to email your prof

Ponyo says thanks to biglandfarm for this post.
Old 03-04-2013 at 10:31 PM   #3
gallagaj

Liked: 19 Times

if the value of the assignment or test is 29% or under you do not require proof and can use the msaf. However, if it is 30% or more you have to file the absence through your faculty and provide documentation.

Ponyo says thanks to gallagaj for this post.
Old 03-04-2013 at 10:43 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

No but you still need to email your prof asking where the weighting is going. Chances are it will be pushed to exam or next midterm. make sure you have a legit excuse if you need an excuse next time (they will check prob)

Ponyo says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 03-04-2013 at 10:45 PM   #5
Ponyo

its worth 3% and in my course outline it says to email the TA after msaf
Old 03-05-2013 at 07:28 AM   #6
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyo View Post
its worth 3% and in my course outline it says to email the TA after msaf
I wouldn't waste a MSAF on something that's only worth 3%

Afzal, starfish, Zebedee like this.
Old 03-05-2013 at 09:11 AM   #7
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

You only get one msaf per term. 3% is not worth wasting that.
Old 03-05-2013 at 09:44 AM   #8
Ponyo

i haven't msafed any midterms and i don't think i would so its okay you guys...
stop making me second guess myself and regret my choice :/
Old 03-05-2013 at 11:42 AM   #9
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyo View Post
i haven't msafed any midterms and i don't think i would so its okay you guys...
stop making me second guess myself and regret my choice :/
That's an inevitable side effect of posting your problems and subsequent actions in a public place. Not everyone will agree with what you did or believe they would do the same thing in similar circumstances. There's nothing wrong with that. You made your decision for specific reasons, and that's fine. You can't change it. It may end up being a good decision, and it may not.

Really, you shouldn't be MSAFing anything just because you have "too much" other stuff going on, no matter how much it's worth...so in terms of "wasting" your MSAF on something 3% vs saving it for something worth more, I don't believe it's as clear-cut as people are making it sound.

I always saved my MSAF in case something happened where I really needed it (was legitimately sick/injured/had a family issue/whatever), but that's just me personally, because I'm paranoid like that and I like to plan ahead and keep my options open. But, I never did need to use the MSAF...so I could have just jumped on the bandwagon and used it when it would have suited me.

tl;dr...You made your choice, you had your reasons, now you get the consequences (good or bad). Other people don't have to agree with your decision but it's the one you made, and you should trust that you know what's best for you.

Old 03-05-2013 at 01:54 PM   #10
alee90

Liked: 57 Times

While I respect your decision, the reason why people are saying it's a waste is because you only get one MSAF per semester and since I recall you saying you had a really hectic week in a previous thread, using the MSAF on a midterm may benefit you more so than on a quiz. There aren't really any repercussions with using the MSAF (besides the weight of whatever you're deferring will be added onto another component, therefore making it heavier), nor do most profs really mind it since it can only be used once (per semester), so if given a "freebie"a lot of people tend to find it more worth it deferring something worth, say, 25% than 3% if it'll help you out in the longer run (more time to study for less midterms now so you can perform better, while still having plenty of time until finals and you can plan your studying accordingly).

But maybe you don't want all the weight moved to your exam, and that's fine too. Just pointing out both sides of the coin.

Ponyo likes this.
Old 03-05-2013 at 05:34 PM   #11
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Even if you bombed the physics quiz (~50%). You're only knocking off 1.5 from your final grade. This is like people fighting with their TA over 1 mark on lab reports worth 2%. In the long run it doesn't make a difference.

Even though I think the MSAF is a stupid idea, it should be saved for occasions where you are actually too sick to complete a midterm/assignment.

starfish likes this.
Old 03-05-2013 at 06:14 PM   #12
MacNeuro

Liked: 76 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois View Post
You're only knocking off 1.5 from your final grade. This is like people fighting with their TA over 1 mark on lab reports worth 2%. In the long run it doesn't make a difference.
1.5% can make a HUGE difference in the long run. It could be the difference between a 9 and a 10 in the course, which on a 4.0 scale is 3.3 vs. 3.7.

jim1, PockyWarrior, Ponyo, Zebedee like this.
Old 03-05-2013 at 06:42 PM   #13
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavalan View Post
1.5% can make a HUGE difference in the long run. It could be the difference between a 9 and a 10 in the course, which on a 4.0 scale is 3.3 vs. 3.7.
I've said this before, but I once (accidentally) missed an online quiz worth 0.9%, convinced myself it didn't matter because it was only 0.9%, and then in the end, that made the difference between a 9 and a 10 in the course. It sucked, but I got over it and it didn't have any negative effect on me whatsoever, other than the stress caused by me worrying and being angry (at myself) about it.

Even though it cost me a grade point, in the grand scheme of things, it still ISN'T a "HUGE" difference. It's a grade point, in one course. You're going to be taking 30-40 courses. Assuming you take 40, that will affect your CA by 0.025 points...and CAs are only rounded to one decimal place anyways.

This is super off-topic, although I guess it does relate to the other (related) thread Ponyo started...but you will be so much happier if you don't stress out about small things like this. It can seem like a huge deal at the time, but really, it's not. Worrying about it will only increase your overall anxiety and waste time that you could spend actually being productive.

Ponyo likes this.
Old 03-05-2013 at 08:56 PM   #14
Ponyo

starfish i didn't like your first post at all :/ i thought it was offending actually
but reading your second one i understood more.

thanks everyone for taking the time to post here

starfish says thanks to Ponyo for this post.
Old 03-05-2013 at 08:59 PM   #15
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

offending? stars initial post was like a neutral post in my eyes >_> and i dont see anything in that post that could count as offendin

Chris23 likes this.