MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Movie Question knox Movies & Television 4 05-02-2010 04:43 PM
Movie Rentals krystinq18 Movies & Television 16 02-12-2010 08:30 PM
movie/film club?? macculkin Clubs & Groups 4 07-28-2009 02:30 PM
movie theatres near mac? kanishka General Discussion 25 07-08-2009 11:15 AM

movie theatres in hamilton... movie club?

Old 06-26-2009 at 02:46 PM   #1
macculkin

Liked: 5 Times

movie theatres in hamilton... movie club?
hey guys... i was just wondering where people go to watch indie movies or smaller movies in hamilton. i checked the theatre listings for hamilton and it seems like most places play the bigger movies or blockbuster types. is there any such theatre?? or do people who want to see these movies go to toronto??

also.. is there some sort of movie club at mcmaster? do they takes trips to see smaller movies?

thanks!
Old 06-26-2009 at 04:13 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

There's westdale theatre in King Street. They play main stream movies, but they're all fairly good in terms of critic's reviews.

On res, you'll have access to DC ++ so you can get your indie movie fix through there : )
Old 06-26-2009 at 05:05 PM   #3
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

Occasionally, the Movie Palace on Concession Street has some smaller flicks, but in general, the hammer doesn't have a wide selection of indie films playing on the big screen.

Kinda strange, given the number of movies we have filmed here every year...but if you want a solid indie movie scene, T.O. is the place to go.

And looking through the list of clubs to be ratified for next year, it doesn't look like there is an established club out there. But you can always create one if you'd like?

Hope that helps!
Old 06-26-2009 at 05:37 PM   #4
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

The Movie Palace seems like the perfect place for indie films. It has such a unique atmosphere (torches on the walls and they have benches with cushions instead of seats!) but ya, I go there all the time and I've only ever seen blockbuster films.

Last edited by jachill : 06-26-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-26-2009 at 06:42 PM   #5
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I've never been to the place on Concession, but my boyfriend talks about it a lot. It seems like a chill place with non-mainstream movies. I think he went to see some like.. zombie movie from years and years ago recently.

In Toronto... hmm, there's tons of theatres that play indie stuff. The theatre on Bloor and Bathurst plays interesting stuff sometimes. AMC at Yonge and Dundas/ Varsity at Yonge and Bloor sometimes play movies that aren't seen at like Famous Players. But you could probably search up on the net to find tons more, Toronto is a preeetty big place.
Old 06-26-2009 at 08:27 PM   #6
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

lol Oh ya I forgot the Movie Palace shows like marathons of older movies on special occasions, like Halloween or if there aren't any huge movies being released for a while - I think I saw the Wizard of Oz (or some movie like that) playing there once a long time ago.
Old 06-26-2009 at 10:51 PM   #7
EmilySusie

Liked: 18 Times

The Art Gallery of Hamilton has a film series. I haven't checked it out but it looks like they play films that are not mainstream but more indie. Their website has info here: http://www.artgalleryofhamil ton.co...m_series.ph p
Old 06-27-2009 at 09:23 PM   #8
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Yes, go watch transformers 2 now. Not the regular one, I recommend the IMAX.