MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving out of res ShesTheMan Residence & Housing 13 04-27-2011 03:34 PM
Phoenix in August homeskillet Body & Food 1 07-31-2010 11:31 AM
Parking at Phoenix VastHorizon Automotive & Transportation 11 06-18-2010 08:21 PM
Moving In katie_batt Residence & Housing 4 07-27-2008 11:26 PM

Moving the Phoenix

Old 06-05-2011 at 03:59 PM   #1
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Moving the Phoenix
Hey Y'all,

Maybe everyone else knows and I just wasn't aware, but apparently this year the Phoenix is MOVING. No more Wentworth House. It is moving to the 3rd floor for the Refectory, which just seems insane to me because your going to have Bridges, the Refectory and the Phoenix relatively all in the same place. There's an article about it in last Thursday's Sil. What do you think about this?

Last edited by lizziepizzie : 06-05-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-05-2011 at 04:00 PM   #2
Phil

Liked: 27 Times

I read on the Phoenix's twitter that they are occupying the first floor and the patio.
Old 06-05-2011 at 04:01 PM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

They are tearing down the building that Phoenix is in, so naturally, they are moving it. Atleast they are still keeping it, knowing Mac I wouldnt be surprised if they just got rid of it all together
Old 06-05-2011 at 04:03 PM   #4
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Apparently there have been rumours since the 80s that they'd be getting rid of WH. The article says that it was mostly the Graduate Students Association that pushed for this move. They want to incorporate a stage and a coffee bar also.
Old 06-05-2011 at 04:12 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
They are tearing down the building that Phoenix is in, so naturally, they are moving it. Atleast they are still keeping it, knowing Mac I wouldnt be surprised if they just got rid of it all together
Agreed. I think this is better than its location before anyway. I know a lot of people who didn't even know that the Phoenix existed, so moving it to the centre-ish of campus is actually a good idea.
Old 06-05-2011 at 04:23 PM   #6
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Agreed. I think this is better than its location before anyway. I know a lot of people who didn't even know that the Phoenix existed, so moving it to the centre-ish of campus is actually a good idea.
I think it's great that they're keeping and it, and, yeah, cool that it's more central, but I just think it's weird that it will actually be in the Rafectory, just the third floor. I'm not complaining about it, I was just really surprised when I read about it last week.
Old 06-05-2011 at 04:34 PM   #7
Noodle

Liked: 19 Times

has the moving begun? or is it planned for later in the summer? It would be cool to have a roadtrip back to McMaster to go to the Pheonix on the last day before they move.
Old 06-05-2011 at 04:52 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
I think it's great that they're keeping and it, and, yeah, cool that it's more central, but I just think it's weird that it will actually be in the Rafectory, just the third floor. I'm not complaining about it, I was just really surprised when I read about it last week.
Oh that's true. I've never been in any part of the building except Bridges, so this should be interesting.
Old 06-05-2011 at 04:56 PM   #9
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Oh that's true. I've never been in any part of the building except Bridges, so this should be interesting.
Yeah it's gonna be the under-grad pub, and the grad pub three floors up. lol Maybe they're making a social hierarchy statement.

MirandaC likes this.
Old 06-05-2011 at 05:01 PM   #10
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

Quote:
Hey Y'all,

M It is moving to the 3rd floor for the Refectory, which just seems insane to me because your going to have Bridges, the Refectory and the Phoenix relatively all in the same place.
huh i read that phoenix was moving there too, and i know that bridges is there, but whats the refectory? is that another food place, i thought it was just the name of the building?
Old 06-05-2011 at 05:05 PM   #11
lux

Liked: 318 Times

Sounds like a reasonable change.. I'll be kind of weird with bridges being right by the phoenix which has burgers and such. I always thought that the refactory would be a good place to enhance, for student hang outs. I just hope that this change happens relatively quickly since I don't want construction for my remaining years at mac.
Old 06-05-2011 at 05:25 PM   #12
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

What is the Phoenix?
Old 06-05-2011 at 05:28 PM   #13
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Yeah it's gonna be the under-grad pub, and the grad pub three floors up. lol Maybe they're making a social hierarchy statement.
Do you know if this will all be set up before Sept.?
Old 06-05-2011 at 05:58 PM   #14
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
What is the Phoenix?
It's the Graduate pub. So it's run by the association of grad students, but undergrad students make up the bulk of the Phoenix's patronage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
Do you know if this will all be set up before Sept.?
I don't know when it's officially closing, but it will be re-opened on the 2nd floor (not 3rd floor, oops) of the Refectory in the winter of 2012.
Old 06-05-2011 at 06:49 PM   #15
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
It's the Graduate pub. So it's run by the association of grad students, but undergrad students make up the bulk of the Phoenix's patronage.

I don't know when it's officially closing, but it will be re-opened on the 2nd floor (not 3rd floor, oops) of the Refectory in the winter of 2012.
Which in Mac time should be about 2022.

Patrick.O likes this.