MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving out of res ShesTheMan Residence & Housing 13 04-27-2011 03:34 PM
Phoenix in August homeskillet Body & Food 1 07-31-2010 11:31 AM
Parking at Phoenix VastHorizon Automotive & Transportation 11 06-18-2010 08:21 PM
Moving In katie_batt Residence & Housing 4 07-27-2008 11:26 PM

Moving the Phoenix

Old 06-05-2011 at 06:51 PM   #16
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Doesn't matter. lizzie you can come live with me
Old 06-05-2011 at 07:11 PM   #17
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
It's the Graduate pub. So it's run by the association of grad students, but undergrad students make up the bulk of the Phoenix's patronage.

I don't know when it's officially closing, but it will be re-opened on the 2nd floor (not 3rd floor, oops) of the Refectory in the winter of 2012.

Looks like the Refectory is going back to its pub roots
Old 06-05-2011 at 07:59 PM   #18
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

What is a 'Refectory' for? I know where it is... but what was it used for?
Old 06-05-2011 at 08:41 PM   #19
ekcc

Liked: 3 Times

They should have a bar area and call it the phoenix, but have a club/stage area and call it the rathskeller. that's oldschool.

as excited as students should be for keeping the phoenix around, doesnt having a pub in the middle of west quad a problem? i can't imagine the damages to local residence buildings or potential danger that it might cause. parents would probably have something to say about this as well. just more reason for students in res to take up fake ids and go partying.

the fact that not many people knew about the phoenix kept it un-rowdy and available without long lineups and hooligans. just some thoughts.

BlueWave, RyanC like this.
Old 06-05-2011 at 10:03 PM   #20
Noodle

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcc View Post
They should have a bar area and call it the phoenix, but have a club/stage area and call it the rathskeller. that's oldschool.

as excited as students should be for keeping the phoenix around, doesnt having a pub in the middle of west quad a problem? i can't imagine the damages to local residence buildings or potential danger that it might cause. parents would probably have something to say about this as well. just more reason for students in res to take up fake ids and go partying.

the fact that not many people knew about the phoenix kept it un-rowdy and available without long lineups and hooligans. just some thoughts.
pffft, that's silly. The Phoenix has always been a very relaxed bar, I highly doubt that by moving it closer in campus will change that. I mean the people who are stupid enough to be a danger to society (while drunk) will drink at the clubs or in their residence rooms.
Old 06-06-2011 at 02:06 AM   #21
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Given the state Wentworth House is in, I'm not surprised. I literally saw a drunk guy punch through the wall beside the men's bathroom a couple years ago...and they just painted over it.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcc View Post
as excited as students should be for keeping the phoenix around, doesnt having a pub in the middle of west quad a problem? i can't imagine the damages to local residence buildings or potential danger that it might cause.
Given that the Phoenix has been beside/above a daycare for as long as I can remember, and there haven't (to my knowledge) been any reports of children being punched out by drunken patrons, I don't think this is as big of an issue as it seems.

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-06-2011 at 02:08 AM.

Mahratta, MirandaC like this.
Old 06-07-2011 at 01:49 PM   #22
sonamp

Liked: 0 Times

theres pictures of the renovation on the facebook Phoenix page!