MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Msaf swarly First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 02-29-2012 07:32 PM
One or two MSAF? IBB9780 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 11-17-2011 10:49 AM
Msaf stja1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 11-12-2011 11:45 PM
MSAF Help TroubleStorm General Discussion 7 10-17-2011 05:22 PM

msaf

Old 02-08-2013 at 08:47 PM   #16
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

NO. DO NOT EMAIL YOUR PROF TODAY.
Here is the form: http://mcmaster.ca/msaf/
You submit the MSAF before you go back to school. After you have submitted the MSAF, then you email the prof. If you submit the MSAF before the midterm even happens you're missing the point. If you are sick enough to miss the midterm, you could 1) wake up feeling fine tomorrow, or 2) still feel awful on Monday/Tuesday and need the MSAF which is good for up to five days. If you are NOT sick, stop abusing the system, suck it up and go write your exams tomorrow.

starfish likes this.
Old 02-08-2013 at 09:23 PM   #17
Jesse.C
Account Locked

Liked: 30 Times

i already submitted it, cause i don't feel like i can make it tomorrow....
Old 02-08-2013 at 09:36 PM   #18
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Honestly? I saw your post on Avenue asking less than 24 hours before the exam whether you needed to read all of chapters 2 and 3. (You also need to read 11, by the way). And Dr. Mercier spelled out the MSAF process pretty clearly in class. Twice. Once during the first lecture and once last week when talking about the midterm. It's not a difficult process.
The answers to every single question you have asked in this thread are on pages 16-18 of the courseware. And can be found with a quick Google search. Or a search of MacInsiders.

Research skills, kind of important for university, no?

caitgambi, starfish like this.
Old 02-08-2013 at 09:46 PM   #19
Jesse.C
Account Locked

Liked: 30 Times

Yea, That was afternoon around 4 pm or so. I started feeling sick after dinner
Old 02-08-2013 at 10:50 PM   #20
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Then why did you post here about it at 12:18 pm?
Old 02-08-2013 at 10:57 PM   #21
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighp View Post
Then why did you post here about it at 12:18 pm?
Lmao. OP is old enough to make their own decisions. The system was set up in a way so a certain amount of abuse can be tolerated by it/person. I'm not saying, that it makes it right to abuse the system or not, but it is what it is. I think it'd be better if people here just answered whatever questions the OP has if not already answered and leave it at that. If you want to continue at what you're getting it, you should instead send OP a PM about it.

@OP,
When you're coming on MacInsiders to seek help, be as truthful and give as much detail as you can when other people are trying to help you. Clearly, not everyone is willing to give you a free pass on things in terms of ignoring things.

Jesse.C, Ponyo like this.
Old 02-08-2013 at 11:35 PM   #22
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Lmao. OP is old enough to make their own decisions. The system was set up in a way so a certain amount of abuse can be tolerated by it/person. I'm not saying, that it makes it right to abuse the system or not, but it is what it is. I think it'd be better if people here just answered whatever questions the OP has if not already answered and leave it at that. If you want to continue at what you're getting it, you should instead send OP a PM about it.

@OP,
When you're coming on MacInsiders to seek help, be as truthful and give as much detail as you can when other people are trying to help you. Clearly, not everyone is willing to give you a free pass on things in terms of ignoring things.
My issue is mostly that as ashleigh stated, EVERY single question asked in this thread has been answered in other threads within the last ~48 hours. It can also be found on the McMaster website, via google, on various course outlines, and apparently was covered in class twice. The purpose of Macinsiders is not to coddle students who can't bother even attempting to figure things out by themselves. Your first sentence was "OP is old enough to make their own decisions". Based on their posts, I'm doubting that.

That isn't meant to be directed entirely at the OP, other people have done stuff like that too, but this thread is kind of ridiculous.

Also, since you're so obviously abusing the MSAF, it's really not a good idea to post about it on a public forum. All it takes is for someone to contact the prof and let them know...and based on posts in this thread, there are people who know who you are and are in your class, it really wouldn't be difficult.
Old 02-08-2013 at 11:41 PM   #23
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
My issue is mostly that as ashleigh stated, EVERY single question asked in this thread has been answered in other threads within the last ~48 hours. It can also be found on the McMaster website, via google, on various course outlines, and apparently was covered in class twice. The purpose of Macinsiders is not to coddle students who can't bother even attempting to figure things out by themselves. Your first sentence was "OP is old enough to make their own decisions". Based on their posts, I'm doubting that.

That isn't meant to be directed entirely at the OP, other people have done stuff like that too, but this thread is kind of ridiculous.

Also, since you're so obviously abusing the MSAF, it's really not a good idea to post about it on a public forum. All it takes is for someone to contact the prof and let them know...and based on posts in this thread, there are people who know who you are and are in your class, it really wouldn't be difficult.
Are you implying that professors don't know that students abuse the MSAF system because if you are, that's another issue on its own.
Old 02-08-2013 at 11:43 PM   #24
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Are you implying that professors don't know that students abuse the MSAF system because if you are, that's another issue on its own.
No, definitely not. But they have no way of sorting out who is and who isn't. Some profs care that this happens, others don't. But if you go to a prof who cares with evidence that a student is abusing the system, then they can take action.

They can't pursue every person who uses the MSAF just because "people" abuse it.
Old 02-08-2013 at 11:54 PM   #25
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
No, definitely not. But they have no way of sorting out who is and who isn't. Some profs care that this happens, others don't. But if you go to a prof who cares with evidence that a student is abusing the system, then they can take action.

They can't pursue every person who uses the MSAF just because "people" abuse it.
I already know that starfish. I was just trying to make sure I understood what you were saying or not. Regardless, if you think a thread is unnecessary, report it and/or don't help.
Old 02-09-2013 at 08:31 AM   #26
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

My issue wasn't with the thread as a whole, it was the fifteen separate posts within this thread asking questions that could be answered with the resources given to the OP in the first four responses.
On reading my posts from yesterday I agree, I may have been a little short. MSAFs make me angry - especially when someone makes it REALLY obvious that they are using it for a less than honest reason.

starfish likes this.
Old 02-11-2013 at 05:51 PM   #27
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Sorry for bringing this thread up again...

I was on the MSAF website and I just wanted to clarify something.

Says it covers stuff up to 30%. does that include anything worth 30%, though? Or is it just 29% and under?
I know 'up to' normally means not including the number stated, but I just wanna be sure so shh. thanks!

Old 02-11-2013 at 05:54 PM   #28
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
Sorry for bringing this thread up again...

I was on the MSAF website and I just wanted to clarify something.

Says it covers stuff up to 30%. does that include anything worth 30%, though? Or is it just 29% and under?
I know 'up to' normally means not including the number stated, but I just wanna be sure so shh. thanks!
You cannot MSAF anything greater than or equal to 30%.
Old 02-11-2013 at 06:03 PM   #29
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmahone View Post
You cannot MSAF anything greater than or equal to 30%.
just as I had thought. thanks!

Old 02-16-2013 at 11:43 PM   #30
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

I've never filled an MSAF before, so I thought I had to email the prof first and it was already really late (the night before the midterm). I ended up showing up, but is it still possible for me to MSAF it :S.