MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Msaf swarly First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 02-29-2012 07:32 PM
One or two MSAF? IBB9780 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 11-17-2011 10:49 AM
Msaf stja1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 11-12-2011 11:45 PM
MSAF Help TroubleStorm General Discussion 7 10-17-2011 05:22 PM

Msaf Help!

Old 11-20-2012 at 01:52 PM   #1
themacmaster

Liked: 0 Times

Msaf Help!
I've been under the weather for about 3 days now, and as a result I was unable to attend my tutorial as well as work on my essay which was due yesterday (Monday). If I hand in the essay tomorrow it will be marked late and grades will be taken off, so I was wondering if I fill out the MSAF form, will I be given an extension to do my essay (meaning no marks taken off) or will they just add the weight of this essay onto the final exam?

Clarification would be much appreciated!
Old 11-20-2012 at 02:00 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by themacmaster View Post
I've been under the weather for about 3 days now, and as a result I was unable to attend my tutorial as well as work on my essay which was due yesterday (Monday). If I hand in the essay tomorrow it will be marked late and grades will be taken off, so I was wondering if I fill out the MSAF form, will I be given an extension to do my essay (meaning no marks taken off) or will they just add the weight of this essay onto the final exam?

Clarification would be much appreciated!
That is entirely up to your prof. Usually they make it clear in the course outline. Typically for assignments you just get an extension, but it's up to the prof.
Old 11-20-2012 at 02:04 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

MSAF it then email your prof immediately.

byulnim says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 11-20-2012 at 02:11 PM   #4
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

How long ago were you assigned the essay? Pretty sure MSAF is for non take-home assignments...
Old 11-20-2012 at 02:25 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
How long ago were you assigned the essay? Pretty sure MSAF is for non take-home assignments...
If I were a prof I'd think it's really sketchy, that you were sick for a few days and couldn't do the essay you had weeks on.

I don't think I've heard of anyone MSAF-ing a take-home assignment so I can't say for sure that it's okay, but in one of my classes the science office *told* my prof to give someone an extension because her relative died the day before the assignment is due, even though we were given a month to do it (The prof went and gave the entire class an extension because he didn't think it was fair). I think the argument is that it was due on a certain day and you were planning on that time before the deadline to work on it, which you are perfectly entitled to do. Of course, the opposing argument is that you shouldn't leave things until the last minute because stuff like this could happen.

Whether it's for an assignment or not, profs can refuse to accept MSAFs and if they do accept them, it's up to them to decide how to re-allocate the marks. It depends how understanding your prof is, I guess.