MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSAF question strcamp First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 11-11-2013 05:51 PM
MSAF Question bhairos Academics 1 03-26-2013 11:28 AM
MSAF question...when/how? tiger Academics 2 03-13-2013 08:11 PM
Msaf question GBullivant Academics 3 02-26-2013 11:13 AM
msaf question kumara First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 11-07-2012 05:40 PM

Msaf Help/Question!!!

Old 11-13-2013 at 08:19 AM   #1
GirishKelkar

Liked: 0 Times

Msaf Help/Question!!!
Hey guys, so I have this midterm coming up and I dont think I am ready for it. Could I Msaf the midterm? or do I need a doctors note or something or does having a note depend on your professor? I haven't used MSAF before so do they give you a freebie and not ask for anything? or do I just have to suck it up and write the test. Also my friend said that he slept in on a mid term and used MSAF and they didnt ask for anything. But he was in a different course. Im just making sure. Please let me know ASAP!
Old 11-13-2013 at 03:25 PM   #2
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

For me, I know you're not ready but you just have to suck it up and write the midterm. Depending on when the midterm is, you can use now until midterm day to study for it. I'm always not ready to write a midterm every time it comes up but I end up writing up whether I like or not...

As for MSAF, save it for something really important. For instance, when you're sick or have an important appointment or something on the day that a midterm or an assignment is due
Old 11-13-2013 at 03:51 PM   #3
banilaco

Liked: 1 Time

Generally, you are allowed to use MSAF once per term without any medical notes. The outline of the course should say something about it. Is it Chem 1A03 by any chance? If so, you can msaf it without having doctors notes. But read the outline carefully! Also keep in mind that the midterm % gets added to your final, at least for chem 1A03.
Old 11-13-2013 at 04:13 PM   #4
Mungo

Liked: 19 Times

It's fine to MSAF for this reason, just make sure you're MSAFing because you are strategically trying to do well, not just because you've been too lazy/overwhelmed. It's okay to be overwhelmed and need a break (I know this week is particularly bad for some people *cough first year eng *cough*) especially if you feel like you know you can do well even with the % added to your final's weighting. Otherwise, just suck it up.
Old 11-15-2013 at 09:59 AM   #5
lsparrow1

Liked: 10 Times

Personally, I don't like when people use the MSAF when they aren't sick or have some other legitimate reason. I think part of university is learning how to manage your time, and prioritize. How bad do you feel about the midterm? How far away is it? Just try your best and study as hard as you can. Take this as a learning opportunity for the rest of your time at university.

Professors usually give you ample warning when you have midterms/assignments due. Write them in your calendar and if you notice you have a lot of stuff due or tests around the same time, start studying early.

Good luck!

Old 11-24-2013 at 04:07 PM   #6
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

^This. "I don't think I'm ready for it" doesn't fly in university. Many upper year courses have 30% midterms or assignments so they are MSAF-proof anyway. Learning life skills like time-management, networking and budgeting in university are as important (if not more-so) than the course material itself.

Unfortunately, you can't MSAF a final either. Finals can be deferred (with documentation), but the marks on deferred finals are generally far lower than those written during the original exam session.
Old 11-24-2013 at 09:30 PM   #7
onedayy

Liked: 34 Times

McMaster is just too easy compared to other universities.
My friends @ UWO, York, etc. were shocked when they heard about this MSAF system
Old 11-24-2013 at 10:08 PM   #8
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Use the MSAF as you wish because so many other ppl abuse the system like this.

Opinions on the MSAF system I find are usually split by age. Those in upper years used to have to prove MSAFs by handing in doctor's notes / obituaries etc or we would get a zero. The school system in general was a lot more strict even a few years ago.

Now zeros in high schools are virtually impossible to get due to "No-Zero policies" being adopted all over Canada. The insane inflation in highschool has almost destroyed the whole point of grades in the first place. Some schools in Canada are even removing the (already really low bar) honor roll. http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/can...153500429.html

Point is the younger years grew up in a far more lenient system where marks are given if a parent basically complains and there are no real consequences. And its getting worse...maybe there will be 5 free MSAFs per semester in 5 years...

akikokoyoki likes this.