MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Msaf question GBullivant Academics 3 02-26-2013 11:13 AM
msaf Jesse.C First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 30 02-16-2013 11:48 PM
msaf question kumara First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 11-07-2012 05:40 PM
MSAF Question peace First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 03-09-2012 02:23 PM
Question about MSAF Student Reporting Tool robots Academics 1 02-24-2011 05:27 PM

MSAF question...when/how?

Old 03-13-2013 at 07:01 PM   #1
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

MSAF question...when/how?
I will need to MSAF an assignment that is due next week and I won't be able to finish it on time because I have two major papers due this week and two exams on Monday. Starting it after Monday will not leave enough time to finish it. (I know you'll think I should have budgeted my time better but I've been having things already for the past two weeks)
So back to the question, should I MSAF it before the due date or after the due date? Also, do you think it would be okay if I emailed my TA before the due date explaining that I won't be able to hand it in and then I will MSAF it. Or should I only email them after I MSAF it? And do you think the reason I explained above is acceptable?

Since the assignment is under 30%, does it mean they have to accept MSAFs or do some courses not accept MSAFs even if under 30% ? again, I would email my TA but not sure if that's okay to do at this point. I also need to find out how I will be able to make up for it (whether an extension or whether the percentage will be added to my final exam) before the due date, so I can plan accordingly, so just email the TA before due date? If I get an extension, how long do you think they will give me?

I am so sorry for the long message and so many questions. Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 03-13-2013 at 07:12 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
I will need to MSAF an assignment that is due next week and I won't be able to finish it on time because I have two major papers due this week and two exams on Monday. Starting it after Monday will not leave enough time to finish it. (I know you'll think I should have budgeted my time better but I've been having things already for the past two weeks)
So back to the question, should I MSAF it before the due date or after the due date? Also, do you think it would be okay if I emailed my TA before the due date explaining that I won't be able to hand it in and then I will MSAF it. Or should I only email them after I MSAF it? And do you think the reason I explained above is acceptable?

Since the assignment is under 30%, does it mean they have to accept MSAFs or do some courses not accept MSAFs even if under 30% ? again, I would email my TA but not sure if that's okay to do at this point. I also need to find out how I will be able to make up for it (whether an extension or whether the percentage will be added to my final exam) before the due date, so I can plan accordingly, so just email the TA before due date? If I get an extension, how long do you think they will give me?

I am so sorry for the long message and so many questions. Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!
First, no the reason is not "acceptable," because it is expected that you will budget your time properly (and having things to do for two weeks isn't a decent excuse either). If you MSAF, you will have to lie and say you were sick or something.

I *think* they need to accept it (I'm about 98% sure), but it's up to them how to deal with it. This should be explained in your course outline (if it will be extended, if the weight will be moved elsewhere, etc). If it's extended, it's up to the prof how much time you get and that probably won't be in the course outline, so you won't know before you submit the MSAF. The procedures for who to contact (your TA, the prof, etc) should also be there.

MSAFs work for a five-day period I believe, so you couldn't submit it now even if you wanted to. Personally I think it looks better if you wait until after it was due or sometime on the day it's due to submit the MSAF, but I guess it depends on the reason that you make up to put on the form. I don't think there are any rules against submitting ahead of time though, but I could be wrong - it could also be detailed somewhere in the rules about academic integrity.
Old 03-13-2013 at 08:11 PM   #3
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

MSAF is for illness only, so you'd have to lie.

If it's 29% or under, they have to accept it, but what they do with it is up to them -- check syllabus to see if they will have a make-up assignment, extension, transfer the percentage over, whatever. If it is worth 30% or more, you need to see the dean and get proper documentation for missing work.

Wait until AFTER you return from your 'illness', so up to 5 days after the thing is due. It makes sense to MSAF other stuff, too, not just the ONE thing, because if you're sick/not at school, you're obviously gonna be missing everything, not just something from one course. so one MSAF form can be used for many assignments/tests/labs/whatever, as long as if falls within 5 days.

After you send an MSAF, email your professor saying you're sick & that an MSAF form should be sent to them. they'll decide what to do.