MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Leave the Pack Behind Presents ‘Smoke Free Day’ – March 10th 2011 veena_vd MacInsiders Announcements 2 03-08-2011 12:26 PM
everGREEN 2011 Conference on March 1st! - Free Food, speakers every hour! GH rm 111 aviaf General Discussion 5 02-28-2011 10:55 AM
MSU Presidentials 2011 General Discussion stevennevets Presidentials 2011 35 01-28-2011 09:41 PM

MSU Annual General Asssembly: March 14th 2011

The General Assembly (GA) of the MSU is an open meeting where YOU can talk about issues that concern students on campus. You can submit motions for discussion and vote on them, and if 3% of full-time undergraduate students show up (or 589 people), anything that passes is binding on the MSU. Submit a motion and find more information @ http://tinyurl.com/MSUGA!

Motions are due by Friday, March 11th, 2011 at no...on. Those submitted so far include:

1. Moved by Ryan Sparrow that the McMaster Students Union implement a comprehensive campaign to oppose Islamophobia, Anti-Semitism and racism.
2. Moved by Ryan Sparrow that the McMaster Students Union formally call on the Ontario government to reduce tuition fees and ancillary fees for all students, convert a portion of every student loan into a grant and to increase per-student funding above the national average.
3. Moved by Zachary Strong that the McMaster Students Union shall officially rename 'Twelve Eighty' to 'Quarters'.
4. Moved by Lisa Bifano for the MSU to lobby for a Study Break of one week between the last day of classes and the first day of exams.
5. Moved by Daniel Temple, seconded by Erica Green that the MSU lobby the McMaster University Senate in favour of Greek Life at McMaster University.
6. Moved by Nick Shorten, seconded by Erica Green that the MSU Recognize a Greek Life Council at McMaster University.
7. Moved by Alex Ramirez that in the event of external political elections (federal, provincial, municipal) the MSU be required to take a stance and endorse a particular party and/or candidate.
8. Moved by Goce Dimitrioski, seconded by Samantha Asare, that the MSU ban all campaigning, with the exception of posters, on polling days.
9. Moved by Goce Dimitrioski, seconded by Anna Peckham, that the McMaster Students Union Board of Directors (President, Vice-President Administration, Vice-President Education, Vice-President Finance) be required to pay the MSU membership fees, effective May 1st, 2011.
10. Moved by Goce Dimitrioski, seconded by Melvyn Ling, that the Incite and McMaster Solar Car Project fees be non-compulsory with an opt-out option for students.
11. Moved by Goce Dimitrioski, seconded by Oliver Hierlihy, to direct the MSU Bylaws and Procedures Committee to propose constitutional amendments to the Student Representative Assembly (SRA) where SRA representatives are elected by department rather than by faculty, and if approved, go to the student body for a referendum.
12. Moved by Goce Dimitrioski, seconded by Joseph Filice, to direct the MSU Bylaws and Procedures Committee to propose constitutional amendments to the Student Representative Assembly (SRA) that the vice-presidents of the MSU be elected by the full student body, and if approved, go to the student body for a referendum.

SHOW UP. SPEAK OUT. GENERAL ASSEMBLY.

Oh, and free food.

AeRo says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.

AelyaS likes this.
Published by
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 03-09-2011 at 07:27 PM   #2
J-Met
Elite Member
Program: Social Sciences
Year: Prospective Student

Liked: 136 Times
I know Goce is occasionally around here, so I just wanted to applaud you for putting up some very interesting motions, which are actually realistic and relevant to the MSU.

The only one I have a major concern with is breaking the SRA into departments. As I'm sure there are way more than 35 departments at Mac, this would create an SRA which is much larger, and may be less conducive to getting work done. And thats assuming each department has only one representative. I admittedly haven't done the math, but the way I see it is with this system you'd either have small departments vastly over-represented, or an SRA which is way too large.

A couple smaller motions, which would break up the bigger faculty blocks (giving representation to Econ and Poli Sci in Soc Sci, ISci, or Psych in Science) would maybe be another interesting way of doing it.

Either way, good work on these motions. If this GA makes Quorum it will be a very interesting meeting.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 03-09-2011 at 07:49 PM   #3
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member
Program: Biology
Year: Third

Liked: 357 Times
Really? Prayer space in MUSC? Just Ew.
Old 03-09-2011 at 08:02 PM   #4
Buszaj
Program: Life Science
Year: Alumni

Liked: 125 Times
I don't care if they change the name of Twelve Eight back to Quarters, as long as they don't close it. I will seek out whoever tries to shut it down and punch them in the balls/box.

RyanC says thanks to Buszaj for this post.

RyanC likes this.

Old 03-09-2011 at 08:04 PM   #5
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
Really? Prayer space in MUSC? Just Ew.
Those are just some of the ideas randomly proposed mostly to get people interested, the only actual motions are on the table and listed on the facebook event/website.

Prayer Space on campus has been discussed alot at the SRA/MSU level in the past but the Campus simply doesn't have any space to offer it for the various groups that have those requirements. So if an at quorum GA passes a motion on that issue(assuming that motion is brought forward) then MSU might have to get a meeting room turned into Prayer Space or shuffle around services etc.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 03-09-2011 at 08:04 PM   #6
alh24
Elite Member
Program: Economics
Year: Third

Liked: 243 Times
Can someone please explain number 5 to me?
Old 03-09-2011 at 08:13 PM   #7
Kathy2
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
I think "Greek Life" at universities refers to fraternities and sororities.
It sounds like somebody wants the MSU to ask McMaster to set up/support fraternities and sororities.

alh24 says thanks to Kathy2 for this post.
Old 03-09-2011
alh24
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-09-2011 at 08:16 PM   #8
Naheed
Account Disabled by User
Program: Political Science
Year: Fourth

Liked: 11 Times
Hello everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself as the Speaker of the McMaster Students Union. I'm organizing and chairing General Assembly, and I'll do my best to answer any questions regarding procedural or logistical matters. Please click "attending" on Facebook if you're coming out, and submit your motions to me by Friday, March 11th at noon! I can be contacted at [email protected] ca if you have any questions or concerns that you don't want to post here.

Thanks,

Naheed

Last edited by Naheed : 03-09-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2011 at 08:20 PM   #9
Naheed
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
If you check the Facebook group, which is the official-unofficial record of motions, Motion #5 has actually been withdrawn, and a new motion has been added to the end of the list. The list of motions is now:

1. Moved by Ryan Sparrow that the McMaster Students Union implement a comprehensive campaign to oppose Islamophobia, Anti-Semitism and racism.
2. Moved by Ryan Sparrow that the McMaster Students Union formally call on the Ontario government to reduce tuition fees and ancillary fees for all students, convert a portion of every student loan into a grant and to increase per-student funding above the national average.
3. Moved by Zachary Strong that the McMaster Students Union shall officially rename 'Twelve Eighty' to 'Quarters'.
4. Moved by Lisa Bifano for the MSU to lobby for a Study Break of one week between the last day of classes and the first day of exams.
5. Moved by Nick Shorten, seconded by Erica Green that the MSU Recognize a Greek Life Council at McMaster University.
6. Moved by Alex Ramirez that in the event of external political elections (federal, provincial, municipal) the MSU be required to take a stance and endorse a particular party and/or candidate.
7. Moved by Goce Dimitrioski, seconded by Samantha Asare, that the MSU ban all campaigning, with the exception of posters, on polling days.
8. Moved by Goce Dimitrioski, seconded by Anna Peckham, that the McMaster Students Union Board of Directors (President, Vice-President Administration, Vice-President Education, Vice-President Finance) be required to pay the MSU membership fees, effective May 1st, 2011.
9. Moved by Goce Dimitrioski, seconded by Melvyn Ling, that the Incite and McMaster Solar Car Project fees be non-compulsory with an opt-out option for students.
10. Moved by Goce Dimitrioski, seconded by Oliver Hierlihy, to direct the MSU Bylaws and Procedures Committee to propose constitutional amendments to the Student Representative Assembly (SRA) where SRA representatives are elected by department rather than by faculty, and if approved, go to the student body for a referendum.
11. Moved by Goce Dimitrioski, seconded by Joseph Filice, to direct the MSU Bylaws and Procedures Committee to propose constitutional amendments to the Student Representative Assembly (SRA) that the vice-presidents of the MSU be elected by the full student body, and if approved, go to the student body for a referendum.
12. Moved by Drew Simon that the McMaster Students Union provide a joint space for MACgreen and Farmstand to act as a resource centre and a central hub for sustainable activities on campus.

Here is the link to the draft agenda!

Last edited by Naheed : 03-09-2011 at 09:24 PM.

alh24 says thanks to Naheed for this post.
Old 03-09-2011 at 08:58 PM   #10
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.
Program: Labour Studies
Year: Masters

Liked: 94 Times
I just want to say I absolutely love the amount of motions coming forward here...General Assembly is the event where we ALL become representatives and where the true meaning of democracy is fully embraced.

Its pretty much like Christmas for political geeks.

But seriously, amazing job to everyone submitting motions. Even if I don't agree with some of them, its great that there is so much interest in GA this year and that people are so willing to stand up for their beliefs in the most public way possible. Good on ya!

Last edited by c.erl : 03-09-2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: unnecessary "a"...oops :)

mkozi likes this.
Old 03-09-2011 at 09:24 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 2,314 Times
Lots of stupid shiet, but cool that these things have been proposed.. might go to this thingy.
Old 03-09-2011 at 09:29 PM   #12
mkozi
Program: Arts & Science

Liked: 102 Times
I agree that it is very cool that such a diverse array of motions is being brought forward. I look forward to what should be some very entertaining and provocative debate and discussion.
Old 03-10-2011 at 08:17 AM   #13
webzn
Program: Science
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 17 Times
I am a bit confused about who can submit a motion. What I would like to see, although I am not sure if it is in the MSU's power, is to have class average information or Z scores on transcripts.

A growing concern among students thinking about post-graduation is that their transcripts may not accurately represent their achievement in the eyes of admissions boards. Due to some faculties, many postgrad admissions boards have the notion that McMaster gives away grades and the averages obtained by students are too high. Almost all other universities have information on transcripts, such as class average or Z score, to show how the student did compared to the rest of the class. Why does McMaster not do the same?

For example, if two students were applying for one spot, both with a 10 average, but, student A has an average Z score of +1 (meaning that they were a standard deviation, on average, above the rest of the class), and student B had a Z score of -1, then obviously student A is the better option. Now, if a board were reviewing a Mac grad and a Toronto Grad, they would not have this information to make their decision, and with the growing belief that grades are being given away, the Mac grad would be at a disadvantage.

This isn't actually my idea, so, I give credit to Dr. Lichty for spending a whole lecture one day on this topic and making me want a change.
Old 03-10-2011 at 12:06 PM   #14
Naheed
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by webzn View Post
I am a bit confused about who can submit a motion.
Any full-time undergraduate student with 18 or more units can submit a motion to General Assembly, and any full-time undergraduate student with 18 or more units can vote on a motion at General Assembly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webzn View Post
What I would like to see, although I am not sure if it is in the MSU's power, is to have class average information or Z scores on transcripts.
It is not within the scope of the MSU to directly control what appears on transcripts, however, we've seen many motions come forward that ask the MSU to lobby for a specific goal or idea. In this case, actively pursuing this goal would be within the scope of the MSU.

Remember, everyone, motions have to be in by Friday at noon!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search