MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who do YOU think will win the US Election? Chad Politics 30 01-22-2013 10:43 AM
MSU election techniques Rossclot Presidentials 2010 76 02-03-2010 06:30 AM
SRA 2009 By-Election temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 28 10-23-2009 01:01 AM
Thursday's By-Election c.erl General Discussion 28 02-19-2009 02:00 PM
Canadian Election J-Met Politics 19 09-25-2008 08:51 AM

MSU election - some thoughts

Old 02-06-2014 at 09:45 AM   #1
arjunbhaga

Liked: 0 Times

MSU election - some thoughts
Just wanted to bring. Up a few points about the MSU elections and president(s):

What is the point of having this president and what not? I mean all of us have high tuition rates, all of us have to suffer for lack of studying space ANYWHERE across campus, health benefits are irrelevant......like what the heck? What do these presidents actually do? And anyways, I'm sure they only want to becomes president because it looks good on their resume.....

Also, are these presidents actually good role models for students? Do they skip lectures? Do they MSAF work and assignment? Do they text on class? Because these are all negative qualities and traits.....would be surprised if the president is really a good student....

Just. Little bit of food for thought! Silly elections!
Old 02-06-2014 at 10:44 AM   #2
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

1) I don't understanding your first paragraph. How are health benefits irrelevant? The President is the lead management role of the MSU and overseas its entire operations. The MSU is actually a huge organization. This is not like high school student councils.

2) Why are you speculating that the President of the MSU isn't a good role model, skips, lectures, MSAF coursework, text in class. I assure you that the current and previous MSU presidents were quality students with good school-related habits. You have to be in order to really take on such a responsibility. Even if that were the case, which it isn't, I'm not certain that it is in the job description of the president to be a "good role model". There job is to run and advance the MSU to serve McMaster students. Where are you getting these ideas from?

3) If you have questions about what the President and the rest of the MSU do, send David Campbell an email directly and ask him: [email protected] r.ca - You have the right to know what the MSU is doing for you, and I'm sure they'd be glad to tell you.
Old 02-06-2014 at 11:22 AM   #3
BenDover
Account Locked

Liked: 63 Times

Does the OP know that MSU presidents are limited to only one (or is it two?) courses per term? Sounds like an extremely uniformed student trying to make claims based on little to know prior knowledge or evidence.

Commie42 likes this.
Old 02-06-2014 at 12:55 PM   #4
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
What is the point of having this president and what not? I mean all of us have high tuition rates, all of us have to suffer for lack of studying space ANYWHERE across campus, health benefits are irrelevant......like what the heck? What do these presidents actually do? And anyways, I'm sure they only want to becomes president because it looks good on their resume.....
As much as I hate MSU, they give you option to opt out from health coverage.

I would however like to have an option to opt out from MSU completely.

Quote:
Also, are these presidents actually good role models for students? Do they skip lectures? Do they MSAF work and assignment? Do they text on class? Because these are all negative qualities and traits.....would be surprised if the president is really a good student....
Having an official office position and doing your duties well has nothing to do with being a good role model. Monica Lewinsky agrees with me.
Old 02-06-2014 at 01:05 PM   #5
samd

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunbhaga View Post
are these presidents actually good role models for students? Do they skip lectures? Do they MSAF work and assignment? Do they text on class? Because these are all negative qualities and traits.
No they aren't negative qualities.

1. There's nothing wrong with skipping lectures. Attendance isn't taken for most lectures and profs do it that way for a reason. We're all adults here and it's up to us to judge the importance of attending a particular lecture. If I can make more productive use of my time by not attending, then I shouldn't attend.

2. There's nothing wrong with using MSAF. It's exists so that students can use it, so why shouldn't you? Obviously the system is being abused, but so was the old system. I'm not the only one who paid that doctor (Chan? or Chang? can't remember) $20 for a fake note. I understand why MSAF gets a bad name, but there's nothing wrong with using it when you're actually sick and it's better than what we used to have.

Another point about MSAF that Dr. Bokhari pointed out to me. The intent with MSAF was to put the responsibility in the prof's hands, but I don't think most profs realize this. From what I understand, under the MSAF system profs can/should ask you directly for a doctor's note, and then it's up to the prof to decide if the work will be deferred. Under the old system you gave your note to the faculty and the faculty would make the decision. So unless Bokhari was fucking with me (he can be a fucker) I think the MSAF system is actually MORE stringent than the old system, it's just up to the profs to use their discretion.

3. There's nothing wrong with texting in class. In the real world adults text each other all the time, even at work, even during meetings and presentations. It's actually why they invented texting, so you could communicate effectively without disturbing those around you. We're all adults here; we can decide when it's appropriate to text and when it isn't. The idea that texting during class means you're a bad student is a tactic used to keep children under control.
Old 02-06-2014 at 04:07 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
Does the OP know that MSU presidents are limited to only one (or is it two?) courses per term? Sounds like an extremely uniformed student trying to make claims based on little to know prior knowledge or evidence.
The MSU president is a full-time staff member of the MSU. They can't be students, but I remember hearin that they're allowed 1 course per term or something.
Old 02-06-2014 at 08:17 PM   #7
rtongsta

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunbhaga View Post
Just wanted to bring. Up a few points about the MSU elections and president(s):

Just. Little bit of food for thought! Silly elections!
well MSU is a student union, and you if you're a student here, the union represents you (the students), no matter how much you agree or disagree with what they do. And yes, of course being president looks good on a resume, partly because it's a leadership role, but also because it's not something you can just volunteer for and impress your teachers with like a high school student council. MSU has an actual budget and people who work for it (including the president) get paid FULL-TIME ( $30 000+) for their work. Prime example: HSR bus pass.

Are they are a good role model? Well one would like to think so considering we did have the opportunity to vote for them and their platform. Why do you care if they've used their MSAFs? Do you really want to see a note from Teddy Saull's doctor for every MSAF he's ever used?

And as silly as these elections might be to some people, we have to pay the MSU if we want to be students here so it doesnt hurt to be somewhat informed of what you're spending your money on. I guess most people skimp the $122 MSU fee since their tuition/residence is 4-5 digits.