MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSU General Assembly 2010 emtee10 MacInsiders Announcements 33 03-18-2010 10:17 AM
Presidentials 2010 Discussions Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-05-2010 01:11 PM
MSU Presidentials 2010 - Debate #1 temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-26-2010 04:21 PM
MSU Presidentials 2010 Candidates & Websites Chad Presidentials 2010 1 01-24-2010 10:00 AM

MSU Presidentials 2010 General Discussion

Old 01-20-2010 at 12:33 AM   #1
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

MSU Presidentials 2010 General Discussion
Welcome To The MacInsiders MSU Presidentials 2010 Discussion Thread

Be sure to follow MI Terms Of Service and Code Of Conduct rules at all times.

Threads deemed to be breaking these rules will be removed or moderated by MI Staff. If you find a post breaking our Conduct Code please report it by clicking the REPORT button within the post.

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2010 at 10:20 AM   #2
Matt Wright

Liked: 49 Times

Campaign Headquarters
The Presidential Candidate CASEY PARK will be located behind the MUSC Fireplace to answer any questions regarding his platform or general campaign inquiries.
Old 01-20-2010 at 10:24 AM   #3
Mr. Pringle

Liked: 1 Time

seems like a fight is going to break out over that fireplace spot

huzaifa47 likes this.
Old 01-20-2010 at 10:55 AM   #4
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Kieran Alkertons campaign headquarters can be found in the Student Center Next to the east exit of La Piazza next to the Artrium. Our Team members can be found wearing red of some variety!

Feel free to drop by with any questions and if you want to join our campaign team! I'll post up more information about that awesome opportunity as soon as we formalize the details and settle a time for a free for all introductory workshop in the evening sometime later this week for anyone looking to join!

The "Its our turn" slogan on our posters isn't just a cliche as you will soon find out!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

kalkerton likes this.
Old 01-20-2010 at 01:49 PM   #5
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

way to go on the picture haha...next picasso right here

temara.brown likes this.
Old 01-20-2010 at 05:59 PM   #6
McMaxwell

Liked: 19 Times

I'm excited to see which candidate has claimed the Men's Bathroom in MUSC as a Campaign HQ. Incredible traffic. And if their platform incorporated the need for partitions between urinals my voted would be sealed.

McIntyre likes this.
Old 01-20-2010 at 06:06 PM   #7
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
way to go on the picture haha...next picasso right here
Don't hate; I try! :(

Also an update about the workshops I mentioned before:

We will have a workshop starting today at 8:30pm; Meet Us infront of TSH 112(You enter that corridor from the front Lobby of KTH)!! We will be having them regularly(we will try to have them daily as much as we can).

Email Kieran at [email protected] If you are interested in coming so we know how many people will show up! Alternatively you can even email any ideas you have for his platform at that email.

OR visit us at our campaign headquarters.

The purpose of the workshop is for people to get involved and an open invitation for you to get involved, unlike some campaigns our campaign prides on the fact that we have people from all sorts of backgrounds that didn't really know each other come together and contribute to our platform. Even now Kieran as a candidate doesn't say he knows everything; it is more of a collaborative effort that he is willing to turn into rational structured platform.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 01-20-2010 at 07:54 PM.

kalkerton likes this.
Old 01-20-2010 at 07:48 PM   #8
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

To my knowledge both Aaron Wade and Mary Koziol's campaign will be around the fireplace as well. I love how this year all candidates are in the same vicinity - more likely to have a significant effect on voter turnout/engagement. Let's hope it works!

jmbauman, lorend like this.
Old 01-20-2010 at 10:03 PM   #9
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

lol huzaifa, im kidding man, great work!
Old 01-20-2010 at 10:18 PM   #10
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

I will also be around the fireplace tomorrow. I'm not on a campaign team, I just like the spot.

goodnews.inc, Maegs, McIntyre like this.
Old 01-21-2010 at 09:37 PM   #11
McMaxwell

Poster sale during elections. Strategic decision to drive voter traffic? Or designed specifically to make it as hard as possible to get through MUSC every morning?
Old 01-21-2010 at 09:41 PM   #12
ash0000

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMaxwell View Post
Poster sale during elections. Strategic decision to drive voter traffic? Or designed specifically to make it as hard as possible to get through MUSC every morning?
MUSC admin likes to do their own thing on their own schedule, and ignore whats going on with students. It was probably just an ugly coincidence.
Old 01-21-2010 at 10:07 PM   #13
McMaxwell

A Question for All Candidates,

I'd like to think that in the grand scheme of things Faculty societies matter and that their actions should extend outside of their own respective "bubbles". After fixing many of the internal structural issues plaguing the Commerce Society during semester one we have now begun reaching out to the MSU (to facilitate a potential first year case competition) and other external organizations (GCC, Mac IC) in an effort to play a larger role in the McMaster Community.

Now that said had I taken a passive role towards the MSU my interaction with them would have been limited to one meeting with the VP Ed during Academic Council (which I was unable to attend ironically enough :( ). Instead however, I have the pleasure of already knowing Andrew Catarine and quickly introduced myself to Chris, Andrew and Vishal.

The big question I have though was, what if I didn't? In my previous two years with the Society I saw next to no contact from the MSU.

I think one of the first steps to making the MSU more relevant is to leverage student societies. The SRA does a great job of representing their Faculties but from what I've seen in years past have gotten lost in the MSU bubble.

I would like acknowledge the efforts of Alvand, Sid and Fabian, our SRA Reps for this year. Alvand specifically has attended a large portion of our exec meetings and has worked towards bridging the gap that exists between our organizations.

However, outside of Academic Council we've had nobody knocking on our door asking for our participation at a higher level. Why is that?

To close, I ask all candidates the following: How do you plan to effectively leverage student societies to make the MSU relevant to them?

(I understand some of you will direct me to your websites, fair enough, but this is your chance to elaborate)

Love,
Commerce Students <3

finklej likes this.
Old 01-21-2010 at 10:14 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMaxwell View Post
A Question for All Candidates,

I'd like to think that in the grand scheme of things Faculty societies matter and that their actions should extend outside of their own respective "bubbles". After fixing many of the internal structural issues plaguing the Commerce Society during semester one we have now begun reaching out to the MSU (to facilitate a potential first year case competition) and other external organizations (GCC, Mac IC) in an effort to play a larger role in the McMaster Community.

Now that said had I taken a passive role towards the MSU my interaction with them would have been limited to one meeting with the VP Ed during Academic Council (which I was unable to attend ironically enough :( ). Instead however, I have the pleasure of already knowing Andrew Catarine and quickly introduced myself to Chris, Andrew and Vishal.

The big question I have though was, what if I didn't? In my previous two years with the Society I saw next to no contact from the MSU.

I think one of the first steps to making the MSU more relevant is to leverage student societies. The SRA does a great job of representing their Faculties but from what I've seen in years past have gotten lost in the MSU bubble.

I would like acknowledge the efforts of Alvand, Sid and Fabian, our SRA Reps for this year. Alvand specifically has attended a large portion of our exec meetings and has worked towards bridging the gap that exists between our organizations.

However, outside of Academic Council we've had nobody knocking on our door asking for our participation at a higher level. Why is that?

To close, I ask all candidates the following: How do you plan to effectively leverage student societies to make the MSU relevant to them?

(I understand some of you will direct me to your websites, fair enough, but this is your chance to elaborate)

Love,
Commerce Students <3

Hey James, I think you may be better off posting this in each individual candidates thread, since they are all super busy at this time, and may not be able to check all of the MI threads, Facebook groups, keep up with classroom visits and school work...just a thought!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-21-2010 at 10:16 PM   #15
ash0000

Liked: 41 Times

Hi James,

I dont know if you've read my platform on my website yet, but since I come from faculty societies, I intend to do a whole lot for faculty societies and with them.

If elected, I will be seeking participation and input from faculty societies, both in my bid to have a successful general assembly, and in looking for mandates from their members for the direction they think the MSU should be heading in.

I hope to also increase communication between them outside of academic council. I want to run a "what we do best" type conference to allow the societies to pass on their best ideas to each-other.

Also, more specific to your question, I wont be leveraging student societies, I will be building relationships with them, and see what they want from the MSU, and try to serve those wishes.