MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSU General Assembly 2010 emtee10 MacInsiders Announcements 33 03-18-2010 10:17 AM
Presidentials 2010 Discussions Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-05-2010 01:11 PM
MSU Presidentials 2010 - Debate #1 temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-26-2010 04:21 PM
MSU Presidentials 2010 Candidates & Websites Chad Presidentials 2010 1 01-24-2010 10:00 AM

MSU Presidentials 2010 General Discussion

Old 01-26-2010 at 01:00 PM   #46
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
You guys are going to mention that you are both part of Casey's team right?
Yeah that kind of thing would be helpful to know.

(Seems that they're the only ones worried about other people having "vendettas" and such though! hmmmm)
Old 01-26-2010 at 01:15 PM   #47
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Can someone post a summary of what happened at the debate today?
Old 01-26-2010 at 01:52 PM   #48
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
Can someone post a summary of what happened at the debate today?
There were multiple people with cameras taking video, and people with notepads and laptops who may have been taking notes on the debates. Hopefully this means they intend on sharing later and can give a more detailed account of the debate.

That said, I sat through the entire debate and there were some points I thought were important to note.

- Candidates were directly asked about their stance on the Coca Cola referendum, specifically in relation to the humanitarian concerns with Coca Cola. For anyone interested:

Mary - Is against an exclusivity contract with Coca Cola, her reason being that she has talked to many students and feels this is what the general concencus of the student body is.

Casey - Did not take an official stance, says he will leave it up to the student body to decide. He said he previously did take a stance pro-exclusivity but has since changed that.

Kieran - For some reason I don't remember his stance, but I think he may have agreed that students should make their own decision based on the pros/cons they see. Hopefully someone else can remember exactly what Kieran's feelings on this issue were.

Ash - Said that we cannot base this on Coca Cola's alledged violations, bad actions etc b/c we would then have to apply that to every corporation [presumably in relation to McMaster related affairs]. He noted that even the company who built MUSC may have participated in percieved bad actions. I do not remember his official stance on the referendum, I don't remember him taking one.

Tauseef - Against Coca Cola due to their humanitatian violations etc, therefore he is against the exclusivity contract.

Candidates were at one point asked to pick apart the platforms of other candidates, or praise other candidates platforms. Most candidates chose to take on points from Casey's platform, including their perception that he has chosen to focus on certain unimportant or less important issues like a bus shelter at the stop near the Museum.

Casey took issue with Mary's farmer's market, instead he suggested the MSU work towards providing transportation to the Hamilton farmer's market. Other candidates shared this concern with her idea, she defended the idea. Also he took issue with her community kitchen idea, as it would take place in a denominational enviroment (a church) and students may be uncomfortable with this. Mary said this was true but it was the reality of the platform point and some students may feel uncomofrtable with it.

Ash wanted to clarify some points from Kieran's platform, specifically his ideas about cloud computing for MUGSI/SOLAR. Ash felt Kieran had the definition of cloud computing wrong and that this proposed solution wasn't a legitimate solutation to the problems of MUGSI/SOLAR.

Kieran took issue with Casey's desire for more informal communcation with students and feels we need formal accountability structures.

Tauseef addressed the above mentioned concerns about Casey's platform, the issues he feels are less important like the bus sheleter and more snacks on campus are issues he felt Casey's campaign highlighted but perhaps shouldn't be a primary focus on the MSU president.

Casey rebutted the many concerns about his platform, mostly he said these are issues he knows are important to students based on talking with students.

They were also asked if they had decided who they'll will choose as their number 2 on the preferential ballot.

Kieran - would vote Ash 2nd.
Mary - would vote Ash 2nd.
Ash - would vote Mary 2nd.
Tauseef - would vote Kieran 2nd and explicity said that if you don't vote for him vote for Kieran.
Casey - said he hadn't made up his mind, Tauseef's campaign team didn't seem impressed that he wouldn't take a stance, this reaction seemingly caused him to say he was leaning towards Tauseef.

Other questions asked involved issues of finances, questions about lobbying and OUSA, there was debate between contestants in regards to lobbying. There was discussion about accountability and how each candidate planned to accomplish this.

The editor of the Sil asked about closed session, each candidate gave their stance on the closed sessions held in recent times, and their feelings on closed session.

Most felt, Ash especially, as well as Tauseef that closed sessions should be avoided at all costs. Ash stated he was personally against them but they are needed for legal reasons. Kieran and other candidates made clear that closed sessions should be reserved for HR matters. The Sil followed up with a question about a financial matter (a $500 000 PST audit) and why this was discussed in closed session, why the SRA wasn't informed in a timely matter and why the minutes of this session were not released in a timely matter if it is not an HR matter (which Kieran agreed was not an HR matter as was part of the question). Most candidates seemed to feel that closed sessions should be reduced, but some seemed to feel they were more important than others (Casey, and Mary to a lesser extent).

Early on they were asked what they felt made their campaign platform and their run for MSU president unique. None of the answers given imo were particularly adequate, much of what they said were things many of the candidates have in common and are not unique.

There was a lot of echoing of previous comments going on in the debate, specifically from some candidates. Some candidates definitely stood out and did a better job, at least imo than others in this first debate.

If anyone would like to clarify or contest any of the details I've given feel free, I don't have an iron clad memory and some of these things might not be as accurate accounts as they could be.

There was a decent turn out of people listening in the student centre so hopefully others can provide accounts of specific answers to other questions I have mentioned but not elaborate on, or not mentioned at all.

Sam Minitti was the moderator, yay!

All the campaign teams were there cheering their candidates on loudly in the crowd.

What I did notice though and took note of was the way certain campgian teams interacted, and the way certain candidates interacted. There was a lot of laughter, and good will between most of the campaign teams. Most candidates seemed very friendly with eachother, I saw candidates and campaign teams talking prior to the debate and congratulating eachother afterwards. One campaign team was not really involved in this comraderie but all others seemingly were, and supporters of certain candidates were very supportive of other candidates responses during the debate.

ash0000, huzaifa47, Lois, lorend, McIntyre, micadjems, mkozi all say thanks to sew12 for this post.

michelle likes this.
Old 01-26-2010 at 01:59 PM   #49
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
... One campaign team was not really involved in this comraderie but all others seemingly were, and supporters of certain candidates were very supportive of other candidates responses during the debate.
Why would you tease us with a juicy tidbit like that! Hehe.

Thanks for the recap. Lots of these candidates like Kieran!
Old 01-26-2010 at 02:08 PM   #50
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Why would you tease us with a juicy tidbit like that! Hehe.

Thanks for the recap. Lots of these candidates like Kieran!
The campaign teams were convieniently colour coated so it was easy to see who was interacting and reacting prior to and during the debate. Those who were there and observant would have seen it. That said I don't want to name names because its just how I percieved this one snippet in time, other times could be different, I could have missed something etc. I don't want to make disparaging remarks about a certain campaign team if I just didn't see them interacting with others this time, maybe at other times they do, or at other times they are supportive or I just didn't see them in their moments. Some of the campaign teams were more in my line of vision during the debate than others.
Old 01-26-2010 at 02:14 PM   #51
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
The campaign teams were convieniently colour coated so it was easy to see who was interacting and reacting prior to and during the debate. Those who were there and observant would have seen it. That said I don't want to name names because its just how I percieved this one snippet in time, other times could be different, I could have missed something etc. I don't want to make disparaging remarks about a certain campaign team if I just didn't see them interacting with others this time, maybe at other times they do, or at other times they are supportive or I just didn't see them in their moments. Some of the campaign teams were more in my line of vision during the debate than others.
Oh, I know, I was just kidding around. I wish I could have gone. :(

Will there be another debate? I'm not particularly interested but I don't think I've ever seen an MSU Presidential debate before!
Old 01-26-2010 at 02:18 PM   #52
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Oh, I know, I was just kidding around. I wish I could have gone. :(

Will there be another debate? I'm not particularly interested but I don't think I've ever seen an MSU Presidential debate before!
There is a 2nd one coming up. I'm not sure of the exact date but I believe it is in Commons, at 6 pm one day this week.

They're good to go to to get a better idea of a candidates platform or to hear them clarify points, or rebutt points from other candidates.

I sat for the one this afternoon for 2 hours and found it pretty interesting. Not everyone is interested in student politics but apathy is so super uncool, contrary to the beliefs of some. I might as well get out there, get informed and make my decision as to who will be running my student union next year. I'm part of it, I might as well participate in ways I can. Even if my chosen candidate doesn't get elected at least I know I bothered to vote for the person I thought was best, therefore if I have problems with MSU leadership I know I was involved in the decision.

lorend likes this.
Old 01-26-2010 at 02:28 PM   #53
nick1988

Liked: 16 Times

I would like to point out that ash did take a stance about the Coca-Cola referendum. He would rather no exclusivity because it is bad economics and does not breed competitive pricing. Not to mention the issues of human rights that Coke is being accused of.
Old 01-26-2010 at 02:57 PM   #54
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

I belive the next debate was Feb 2nd in Commons at 6PM.

This was a very interesting debate today.
Old 01-26-2010 at 04:06 PM   #55
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1988 View Post
I would like to point out that ash did take a stance about the Coca-Cola referendum. He would rather no exclusivity because it is bad economics and does not breed competitive pricing. Not to mention the issues of human rights that Coke is being accused of.
Thank you.

I couldn't remember if his stance was yes/no on exclusivity, I just remembered his point about not wanting to discuss the possible humanitarian concerns with Coca Cola as that would then have to be applied to every corporation operating on campus, you can't just point the finger at Coca Cola.
Old 01-26-2010 at 09:47 PM   #56
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Music nerd time.

This song reminds me of the MSU Elections EVERY YEAR:

Lyrics:
You keep on sayin' that you want to know me
But you never show me your true self.
How can you ever expect someone else to know you
When all you're going to do is just pretend that
You're someone else?
You keep on sayin' that you want to show me
That you're really different, but your just the same.
If you're really mindless then there is no way
That I can win,
Maybe you're just one of them,
Or maybe it's just a game.
You lie to yourself, lie to yourself, lie to yourself
Remain alone.
Remain alone, remain alone, remain alone.
I'm not exactly sure of your motivation.
I'm not exactly sure what you're tryin' to do.
All I'm really sure is that you're not too impressive
And you're wearin' a mask
That I can't see through.
Maybe you're not looking for acceptance,
Maybe you're striving for something more.
If it's status that you lust then why try to be one of us?
You're someone we'll never trust 'cause we know the score.
You lie to yourself, lie to yourself, lie to yourself,
Remain alone.
Remain alone, remain alone, remain alone.
I can't see through.
I can't see you.
I can't see through.
I can't see you.

Am I the only one that thinks this way? (and AFI pre-Sing the Sorrow was good, dammit).

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-26-2010 at 10:47 PM   #57
ash0000

Liked: 41 Times

Stefanie, thanks for that summary, it is very accurate!
Old 01-28-2010 at 09:24 PM   #58
mkozi

Liked: 100 Times

My response... a long time in the coming.
This is a ridiculously delayed response; so much so, that I doubt anyone will bother reading it. However, I think the commerce student who asked it still deserves a response, and I apologize for the delay! I am quite new to MacInsiders and still learning about the diligence required to keep up with what is being said.

The question was McMaxwell's, who asked (I am summarizing using broad strokes) how the MSU would work to empower Academic societies and make them see the MSU as relevant.

Like a number of other candidates, I have been quite involved with my faculty society, Arts & Science. My experience being on both the SRA and on SASS (society of arts & science students) has been interesting given that A&S is a very small and close community. By witnessing this, I've seen the potential faculty societies have in terms of engaging students and communicating messages from the MSU. I like what Kieran said about students at McMaster already being engaged; just not necessarily with the MSU. We have to give them a reason to!

This year, because of my SASS/SRA work, I was able to involve the MSU (specifically the VP Ed) with the inaugural conference that A&S held on interdisciplinary studies. I think this is similar to your situation; had I not been in the position I was, this conference could have passed by without any MSU involvement.

I like the analogy of seeing the MSU as the federal government, the faculty societies as provincial and the clubs as municipal. Thus, the lines of communication for the MSU to interact indirectly with students are already in place; it just requires a bit of skill to use this information ladder so that the necessary details effectively trickle down.

My personal solution for this is to use the structures that are already in place; I would have to agree with Mr. Park that effective use of SAC is the key. What I would like to see more of in the MSU is better use of what we already have, rather than introducing new things (there are always exceptions - I am speaking generically).

I would meet with faculty executives at the very beginning of the year to review our year plans together, and discuss and align our objectives. I would like to foster an ongoing dialogue of what can we do for you (and you for us), what common goals we have, and how we can collaborate to achieve these.

Again, sorry for the delay... I am learning to be more attentive with checking posts online. Please let me know if you'd like me to further clarify anything or have more questions! I love questions.

Sincerely,

Mary

Last edited by mkozi : 01-28-2010 at 09:27 PM.

jmbauman, McIntyre like this.
Old 01-28-2010 at 09:45 PM   #59
mkozi

Response to Matt Wright
Hello again!

Another response to another post I failed to reply to in good time... this one was from Mr. Wright suggesting the candidates comment on their past leadership involvement. This is a list of some of the things I've been involved with during the past 3.5 years ... I think this list highlights the wide assortment of leadership roles I've had, and why I offer a unique style of leadership for the MSU.

-Student Representative Assembly: Arts & Science Representative (October 2009-PRESENT)
-Standing Committee on External Affairs: SRA Member (October 2009-PRESENT)
-Maroons: Welcome Week Representative and Social Coordinator (2009/2010)
-Charity Ball: Committee Chair and Coordinator (2008/2009)
-Outdoors Club: Secretary (2009-PRESENT)
-Combining Two Cultures Conference planner (2009-January 2010)
-Society of Arts & Science Students: Ex-officio (April 2009-October 2009) and SRA Representative (2009-PRESENT)
-Global Youth Network: Team Thailand Member (2007) and Team India Trip leader (2008)
-McMaster First Nations Students Association: Member (2009-PRESENT)
-Amnesty International @ Mac: First Year Representative (2006/2007) and External Liaison (2007/2008)
-CLAY Leadership Conference: Conference Support Team (May 2009)
-Horizons Leadership Conference: Leadership Developer (August 2009)
-Camp Trillium Volunteer (2007-PRESENT)
-Community Volunteer Action Group: Volunteer Tutor (2006-2007)
-Women's Varsity Rugby: Team member (2006/2007)

Interesting fact:
This past summer, I worked as a doula... essentially, I helped women give birth by providing physical and emotional support. Kinda cool, no? I anticipate some individuals may be wincing at the mention of "birth".... possibly some flashbacks of the "Miracle of Life" from grade 9 Science?

Sincerely,

Mary
www.imaginemoremary.c om

Nosh likes this.
Old 01-30-2010 at 04:07 PM   #60
mkozi

New campaign video
Hi all!

Please take a chance to watch our campaign video... Glee meets Imagine More, song performed by Stairwell Acoustics acapella!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waeO99_Y52I

Thanks!

Mary
www.imaginemoremary.c om