MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSU General Assembly 2010 emtee10 MacInsiders Announcements 33 03-18-2010 10:17 AM
Presidentials 2010 Discussions Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-05-2010 01:11 PM
MSU Presidentials 2010 - Debate #1 temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-26-2010 04:21 PM
MSU Presidentials 2010 Candidates & Websites Chad Presidentials 2010 1 01-24-2010 10:00 AM

MSU Presidentials 2010 General Discussion

Old 02-03-2010 at 01:00 PM   #76
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

I haven't seen Casey but I did see two other candidates out. One wasn't yelling out anything, and they weren't near a polling station, just holding doors. Another one also wasn't near a polling station but they did have campaign team members with them, signs and they were yelling vote for me etc.

I would agree that standing near polling stations doing that is a dirty tactic but MUSC I would say is fair game, at least the entrance not near to Mills. One can only hope those kind of tactics backfire, or at the very least that people going to vote are educated enough on the campaigns that they already know who they're voting for and tactics like that won't work on them.
Old 02-04-2010 at 03:31 PM   #77
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I would agree that standing near polling stations doing that is a dirty tactic but MUSC I would say is fair game, at least the entrance not near to Mills. One can only hope those kind of tactics backfire, or at the very least that people going to vote are educated enough on the campaigns that they already know who they're voting for and tactics like that won't work on them.
I was just wondering why you think that MUSC is fair game? Social Sciences vote inside MUSC, just outside of Williams, which is a very large faculty (if not the largest). I would just think that if anywhere should be off limits, it'd be by that polling station...

And speaking of that polling station, I think it's in an AWFUL location. That corridor gets so crowded, and it's really uncomfortable waiting in a crammed line to vote while people are pushing past you. There's got to be a better location with less traffic.
Old 02-04-2010 at 04:15 PM   #78
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

It's OVER ! Good luck to the Elections Committee tonight!

Taunton says thanks to McIntyre for this post.

kingwam likes this.
Old 02-04-2010 at 04:27 PM   #79
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Elections are now over. Hopefully students voted for the right candidate. Best of luck to all the candidates. Despite all the drama and unnecessary things that happened during the campaign period, I feel like you all did an amazing job. You and your campaign teams worked hard and now it's a waiting game to determine the students' decision. I really hope that everyone realizes that we are all working towards a common goal and that is making the MSU an organization that truly represents students. So in the end, even if you lose the elections, it doesn't mean that you can't make change or some sort of impact. I really enjoyed the presidential elections this year. There is progress already and that can be seen from the voter turnout this year. It just goes to show the amount of hard work done by candidates , campaign teams and the Elections Committee to engage students with this year's elections. Finally, I really hope no one has taken anything personally (whether it's candidates, campaign teams or supporters). Presidential elections are intense and sometimes people get carried away. I hope that the president will truly represent students at McMaster and will make decisions with the interest of students in mind. With that said, we all need to show our appreciation to the Elections Committee. They will be working hard to count ballots and sort out any fines/complaints.

Last edited by Nino : 02-04-2010 at 04:31 PM. Reason: typo

leaffan says thanks to Nino for this post.

malaxelaguim, McIntyre like this.
Old 02-04-2010 at 04:36 PM   #80
Werd

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
It's so dirty though! I detest that. For the campaigners that are out there doing the responsible thing: Right on them. To those who feel like they need to be out there with buttons, shirt, and yelling "VOTE FOR ME" In front of the largest voting station at Mac, grow up and run like the other candidates are doing.

I would like to reiterate: Going out and saying: GO VOTE TODAY! is completely different than "GO VOTE!!! AND VOTE FOR ME!"
I saw multiple campaign teams and candidates out campaigning today and all of them delivered the same message to me, "vote for me". It is NOT only one person doing it, but thats what one would believe from reading MacInsiders as it has clearly turned from a forum of intellectual discussion on platforms to a full out Smear Campaign.

On a side note, i'm glad it's over and all I ask is that whoever wins be respected no matter who they are.

Edit: That doesn't mean conform and agree that they're the right person for the job, because of course you have a right to opinion, but at least respect the fact that they were chosen by the STUDENTS to be the next president.

Last edited by Werd : 02-04-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-04-2010 at 05:07 PM   #81
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienSummer View Post
Social Sciences vote inside MUSC, just outside of Williams, which is a very large faculty (if not the largest)
Science is the largest faculty. Soc Sci is #2.

AlienSummer says thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 02-04-2010 at 05:25 PM   #82
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Science is the largest faculty. Soc Sci is #2.
You set them straight Taunton.

Represent!
Old 02-04-2010 at 05:30 PM   #83
Boccaccio

Liked: 8 Times

I know the first day total of ballots was 2300 while last year we only had 2700 over the two days so I'm glad to see voter turnout is increasing and we get a slightly better representation of students
Old 02-04-2010 at 05:31 PM   #84
anusingh88

Liked: 6 Times

Perhaps more than one booth for the Faculty of Science next year?

brownj42, McIntyre like this.
Old 02-04-2010 at 06:26 PM   #85
JillfromChil

Liked: 0 Times

How long will the count take?
Old 02-04-2010 at 06:32 PM   #86
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

A long time. Like John said, the Elections Committee were done counting at around 1 pm or so last year. Expect the results sometime in the morning or afternoon. They will be up on the MSU office door or somewhere around there.
Old 02-04-2010 at 06:56 PM   #87
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienSummer View Post
I was just wondering why you think that MUSC is fair game? Social Sciences vote inside MUSC, just outside of Williams, which is a very large faculty (if not the largest). I would just think that if anywhere should be off limits, it'd be by that polling station...
I just realized this today actually when I saw the polling station set up and then saw many teams who were possibly within sight and/or sound of this station.

If you're not yelling in MUSC or getting really close to that polling station its better but many teams were being super loud and standing dangerously close to that station (just through the doors near Compass).
Old 02-04-2010 at 08:05 PM   #88
C. Nardo

Liked: 2 Times

science voting station
i totally agree with you guys for science (as thats what i am) i dont ever remebering having problems as this is a FANTASTIC turnout so it could be due to that but considering soc sci in musc have SO MUCH room and we are cramped in today sucked. even the basement of BSB has more room than the foyer but maybe they thought ppl wouldnt go down there to vote plus its always been there.
Old 02-05-2010 at 11:52 AM   #89
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Directly taken from the DRO's (Nick Shorten's) facebook status:

"Still counting. Can't discuss what is going on but will say we have close to 4400 ballots cast! Over 22% and almost doubling our last year's total! Thank youuuuuu candidates."

Well done, McMaster students...I am very proud!

Bree_21, Maegs like this.
Old 02-05-2010 at 11:57 AM   #90
sew12
Elite Member

Well at the very least we can say these candidates motivated the study body to vote. Sure 22% is not high but given the abysmal turnout last year that's excellent.

I take it we won't be hearing about results for a while though with that many ballots.

Good luck with the continued counting elections committee.

Are the referendum votes being counted simultaneously, or will that result come in 2nd?