MacInsiders Logo

MSU Presidentials 2013/2014

Old 01-25-2013 at 06:46 PM   #30
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summercandy View Post
Anyone else find Adrian's platform rude, inconsiderate and not even the least bit funny? I think it's terribly inconsiderate to candidates like Jacob and David who take this seriously and care about the issues where Adrian comes in acting like it's a joke that aren't even the least bit funny. I cringe every time I walk by one of his posters. They are obnoxious, rude and I don't even think MSU should of allowed him to run. It's a slap in the face to the whole MSU election.
Just to clarify...you are aware he is a joke candidate, right?

Old 01-25-2013 at 07:05 PM   #31
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times
Wow a second year eng now that's aggressive.

Also, where's Muktar the wifi guy, we need him zzz

*spark*, jim1, Kudos like this.

Old 01-25-2013 at 08:04 PM   #32
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times
Careful... You'll start a "Where's The Mukhtar" campaign...

Entropy likes this.

Old 01-26-2013 at 04:36 AM   #33
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
I wouldn't say that -- gimmicky, yes. But his "tearing down of the union upon being elected" plan is just a metaphor for his intent to eliminate bureaucracy in the MSU. There are finer platform points there; you just need to dig for them.

Old 01-26-2013 at 11:00 AM   #34
Phaint
Account Locked

Liked: 131 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I wouldn't say that -- gimmicky, yes. But his "tearing down of the union upon being elected" plan is just a metaphor for his intent to eliminate bureaucracy in the MSU. There are finer platform points there; you just need to dig for them.
Why should you have to dig for a candidates platform points?

starfish likes this.

Old 01-26-2013 at 03:22 PM   #35
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
"“I hope everyone’s aware that I’m running a joke campaign,” [Emmanuel] said toward the end, getting a laugh out of the crowd."
His words, not mine.

(Source: http://www.thesil.ca/candidates-make...tial-pub-night)

Old 01-27-2013 at 11:59 PM   #36
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times
I'm extremely concerned about this aspect of Dowdall's platform:

Quote:
Currently, during examination periods, it is difficult to find a space on campus for quiet or group study. I believe that the MSU can better provide more study space on campus. Through a collaboration with MUSC administration, I would implement a program similar to that of Thode where students can sign out rooms any time between 9am and 5:30pm for the purposes of quiet or group study.
As a club exec, it's already hard enough to find a place where we can book meetings on short notice without having to fill out additional paperwork. The MUSC is already being used by a lot of mcmaster associated groups (OPIRG, etc.) for board meetings, and to open it up even further to all students to use the rooms at any point during the day for studying (or in a lot of cases, fooling around) is a solution which will only be troublesome for the clubs that rely on being able to book this space.

For that reason among others, I won't be voting for dowdall.

Last edited by anon491 : 01-28-2013 at 12:16 AM.

Old 01-28-2013 at 01:40 AM   #37
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times
Jacob Brodka has a very soothing voice. James Lim made a way better joke candidate than Emmanuel. Surprisingly impressed with Haman Man (props for the shout out to Macinsiders, even if ya do think out course reviews are biased), think I'm going for Dowdall though. As much as I appreciate Dan Fahey's politics, radical views don't translate in the MSU (see Alex Ramirez) and frankly the only candidates with enough experience are Campbell and to a lesser extent Dowdall, but I don't care for Campbell's platform and agreed with a lot of the objections raised to it at the debate tonight.

alexithymia likes this.

Old 01-28-2013
summercandy
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-28-2013 at 09:48 PM   #38
summercandy

Liked: 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
Obviously I'm aware of this... that's why I said I find it rude and inconsiderate that he's running as a joke. There are people who are taking this seriously and he runs for a joke. He is downing down the importance of the MSU election. It's not funny and I don't see anyone laughing just rolling their eyes at some kid who thinks pretending to be a dragon/emperor is funny. This isn't third grade recess, it's obnoxious.

Faer, Watoko all say thanks to summercandy for this post.

Old 01-28-2013 at 10:34 PM   #39
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times
someone needs to run and promise to make all timmies take timcards.

jim1, x0xalishax0x like this.

Old 01-28-2013 at 10:38 PM   #40
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summercandy View Post
Obviously I'm aware of this... that's why I said I find it rude and inconsiderate that he's running as a joke. There are people who are taking this seriously and he runs for a joke. He is downing down the importance of the MSU election. It's not funny and I don't see anyone laughing just rolling their eyes at some kid who thinks pretending to be a dragon/emperor is funny. This isn't third grade recess, it's obnoxious.
While I agree that his joke campaign is not well done (I've seen better joke campaigns), it's been pretty standard for at least one student (often an Eng student too, as recently as 5 years ago) to run a joke campaign. It does 2 things:
1. Reminds the candidates to keep grounded: While the MSU has a lot of potential to do a lot for students, some candidates (I wouldn't say any of these ones running this year), have got carried away in what they thought they could do. The joke candidate loves to parody that and remind others that some promises are silly/unrealistic (especially when the candidate can't elaborate on how to carry-out their promise...).

2. Reduces stress. Holy $***, there is a LOT of built-up stress among students. A GOOD joke candidate can go up on stage and lighten the mood by singing their platform points and debate arguments, or making a funny platform with references that students can understand. It may also be the only thing that draws some people's attention to the campaign at all...

So while Emmanual's doesn't particularly make me laugh, you could just loosen up a little and realize that a joke candidate here and there isn't the worst thing in the world. You do seem very upset about the concept.

britb, Faer, Kudos, summercandy, Watoko like this.

Old 01-29-2013 at 04:56 PM   #41
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
As a club exec, it's already hard enough to find a place where we can book meetings on short notice without having to fill out additional paperwork. The MUSC is already being used by a lot of mcmaster associated groups (OPIRG, etc.) for board meetings, and to open it up even further to all students to use the rooms at any point during the day for studying (or in a lot of cases, fooling around) is a solution which will only be troublesome for the clubs that rely on being able to book this space.

For that reason among others, I won't be voting for dowdall.
I haven't posted on here in a while, but I find this comment very troubling.

The platform clearly states that he'll offer that option. Clubs don't generally book rooms during exams (I was a club president for two years and never once booked a room during exams). People need places to study, and this is an innovative idea.

I'm curious as to what the other reasons are. It sounds like you have a few issues that need clarification, most of which could have easily been dealt with by actually talking to the candidate.

Kudos likes this.

Old 01-29-2013 at 11:04 PM   #42
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.erl View Post
I haven't posted on here in a while, but I find this comment very troubling.

The platform clearly states that he'll offer that option. Clubs don't generally book rooms during exams (I was a club president for two years and never once booked a room during exams). People need places to study, and this is an innovative idea.

I'm curious as to what the other reasons are. It sounds like you have a few issues that need clarification, most of which could have easily been dealt with by actually talking to the candidate.
Unless I misread something in that platform post, I don't see anywhere where he specifies that this will be during the exam period only. I wouldn't be against that, what I'm against is having these rooms available for study room booking for the entire term.

Old 01-29-2013 at 11:38 PM   #43
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Can someone explain how the ranking process plays into the voting process?
ie. what does it mean to rank a candidate vs. leaving their box blank?

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search