MacInsiders Logo

MSU Presidentials 2013/2014

Old 01-30-2013 at 07:20 AM   #45
Jacob Brodka

Liked: 1 Time
Hello Abir,

The Silhouette posted this about how the preferential voting works! Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, I would be happy to answer them!

A note about preferential voting:

When you cast your online ballot for McMaster Students Union president, you'll be asked to rank your choices, one through seven. In the first round of counting, the ballots are sorted based on their number-one picks. The candidate with the lowest number of first-place votes will be eliminated, and his ballots will be re-sorted among other candidates based on the second-place votes on those ballots. Rounds like this will be repeated until one candidate has a majority of the ballots.

There is no such thing as "strategic voting" in this election. How you rank your second- through seventh-place choices will not help your number-one choice, because those lower choices will not come into play unless your first choice has been eliminated. So vote honestly. As you move down the ballot, ask yourself, if my first, second, third, etc. choice can't be president, then who do I want to run the MSU?

anon491 says thanks to Jacob Brodka for this post.

Old 01-30-2013 at 07:41 AM   #46
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times
You give them a little bit of benefit if you rank them. In the event that they aren't a clear, absolute winner (majority of the #1 votes), then the #2 votes get counted up and added to a candidate's score, until they have over 50%

anon491 says thanks to mike_302 for this post.

Old 01-31-2013 at 11:19 AM   #47
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times
Last day to vote! Make sure that you have a voice in deciding who will speak and make decisions on your behalf next school year!

Old 01-31-2013 at 12:37 PM   #48
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times
Here's to hoping they'll take Eng into account this time. If not, just as with the past 3 years: I'm just glad our Student Society does stuff for me! If the MES didn't, no one would be... (Although MDL did well)

Old 01-31-2013 at 10:10 PM   #49
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times
David Campbell is president-elect. (unofficial results)

https://www.msumcmaster.ca/posts/128

Old 01-31-2013 at 11:35 PM   #50
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times
For those too lazy to go looking for the breakdown:

jim1, julianface like this.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search