MacInsiders Logo
Old 05-09-2013 at 11:49 PM   #1
Gojira

Liked: 0 Times

Muay Thai fitness/weight loss?
I'm trying to lose weight and I just saw that there is a Muay Thai course. I've been really interested in Muay Thai for some time now, but will it be ok for me to join the course for mainly weight loss?

I mean I'm overweight and I thought it'd be kinda awkward for me to join :/
Old 05-10-2013 at 06:48 AM   #2
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Best way to lose weight:

- stop hogging the food
- start going to gym
- start running

No need to take something fancy.

EDIT: Hey, I just noticed some people didn't like my post here. Notice that I don't blame people who gained weight, because I did too. Being a student is stressful. When we study - we eat. When we are nervous - we eat. It's normal behavior. But is it what it is, that's why I said "stop hogging food". Learn how to restrict yourself, it's the best way to lose food.

Last edited by MrPlinkett : 05-10-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2013 at 09:20 AM   #3
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 30 Times

Take it from me OP, Muay Thai is a great all around sport to lose weight because you use every limb of your body and it can be intense. I've been doing it for 3 years at a different gym and its great. I've tried the classes here at our gym at it sucks, so don't waste your time.There's another place that I haven't checked and its down Main St near Burger Kings. If you really want to lose weight, just hit the gym and do some cardio and STICK TO IT bro. Maybe the elliptical to start because its a little easier but its still really good. And just stop eating the extra junk. Let me know if you need any more help bro
Old 05-10-2013 at 09:25 AM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Don't let anything hold you back if you want to do it. Any opportunity to try something new... take it, you might be really grateful you did (even if you end up not sticking with it). Everybody has a different reason for taking a particular fitness/martial course -- no need to be ashamed of yours.
Old 05-10-2013 at 03:15 PM   #5
Zachary

Liked: 77 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfitsp View Post
Take it from me OP, Muay Thai is a great all around sport to lose weight because you use every limb of your body and it can be intense. I've been doing it for 3 years at a different gym and its great. I've tried the classes here at our gym at it sucks, so don't waste your time.There's another place that I haven't checked and its down Main St near Burger Kings. If you really want to lose weight, just hit the gym and do some cardio and STICK TO IT bro. Maybe the elliptical to start because its a little easier but its still really good. And just stop eating the extra junk. Let me know if you need any more help bro

I've done Muay Thai in the past and I've been thinking of getting back into it as soon as I can make time but ... why is it bad at Mac? Is the instructor not good? That can kill the whole experience.

As to the OP, I was overweight when I took Muay Thai and it didn't really make much of a difference to be honest. Well, aside from earning a nickname in Siamese which meant 'fatso' which was fun.

Aside from that, I agree with the above.
Old 05-10-2013 at 03:36 PM   #6
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
I've done Muay Thai in the past and I've been thinking of getting back into it as soon as I can make time but ... why is it bad at Mac? Is the instructor not good? That can kill the whole experience.

As to the OP, I was overweight when I took Muay Thai and it didn't really make much of a difference to be honest. Well, aside from earning a nickname in Siamese which meant 'fatso' which was fun.

Aside from that, I agree with the above.
Yea...instructor was balls. Thats all I can say. CHeck out the one down main st near burger king, i might do that soon
Old 05-10-2013 at 03:50 PM   #7
BrownTown993

Liked: 6 Times

I took the afternoon class in DBAC with Gordie Gong. He was a great teacher. He has a gym down on the eastside of hamilton.
Old 05-10-2013 at 08:21 PM   #8
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
Wow, that's some terrible service.

Zachary likes this.
Old 05-10-2013 at 08:33 PM   #9
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

If you don't want to join any clubs, try to go for a jog everyday. Keep increasing the jogging time every few days. When i started on the treadmill, i wasn't able to run because i haven't exercised in a while. last summer i was able to run for a long time and my stamina was really good.

If you can't everyday, start jogging 3 times a week. First start by walking, then after few days start jogging and always keep increasing the time.

Because you might be a beginner, when you start jogging, take breaks in between and walk, never stop. That's just my personal experience
If you want, you can always join a gym. I am sure there are a lot of professionals there who will be able to help you out!
Old 05-10-2013 at 09:49 PM   #10
Zachary

Liked: 77 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
Wow, that's some terrible service.
Well, I'm not fazed so easily that it ended up affecting my enjoyment of the classes, but I can see where you're coming from. The instructor said it in jest and I really came to like Muay Thai by the end of my stay, so I guess: no harm, no foul. I ought to add this was before I joined university, so it wasn't at Mac, but yes.

What irks me, however, are the gits that don't hold back when sparring. 'Oh, hey, I know we're actually just practising but I want to feel macho so I'm going to sucker punch that guy on the side of his head, geehehehehe.'

It's the dreadful chuckling that kills me.

justinsftw likes this.
Old 05-10-2013 at 10:17 PM   #11
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

If you're a fatty, a mix building muscle and cardio is more effective than cardio only. Take this an advice from an ex-fatty.

I like referring to this car analogy when concerning fitness and weight loss:

Your body has a certain fuel efficiency rating that dictates how many "miles per gallon" of fuel (calories) you get. The higher the fuel efficiency, the more efficient your body is and the less fuel you need to get around. Bodies are designed to be very fuel efficient, so most of us have really high mpg. Because of this, we tend to put in a lot more fuel than we need, which our bodies thoughtfully store for us in the form of spare gas tanks (fat).
With me so far? Great.
Doing cardio is like driving really fast - you burn more fuel while you're doing it than your normal baseline mpg, but it doesn't do anything to change your fuel efficiency overall. So when you're not driving fast (which is most of the time) you go back to burning fuel very efficiently. Over time, if you really work at it, you can totally burn off those excess gas tanks with cardio, but now (since you weigh less) you need even less fuel to run at normal speeds. So it actually gets a lot easier to over-fuel and re-start that whole "extra fuel storage" problem all over again.
Muscles, on the other hand, are like switching from a small, fuel efficient 4-cylinder to a large, gas guzzling 8-cylinder engine (such as in an exotic sports car). You get more power and speed, of course. But at the same time, bigger engines will always burn more fuel, even when they're just idling (like sitting on your ass or sleeping). So by building muscle, you essentially tank the hell out of your fuel efficiency. And since muscle is denser than fat, you can get a lot smaller while still weighing the same amount, meaning that not only do you have to fuel a "gas guzzling" engine, but you're still pulling a lot of weight around that has to be fuelled as well. Only it's healthy weight - reinforced chassis and frame, enhanced stabilizers, pimped out exterior, etc. - not spare gas tanks. So there's less need to cut calories, although you may still have to if you need to lose fat. Oh, and the whole thing works best if you use the high octane stuff (i.e. eating clean).

RyanC, Zachary like this.
Old 05-10-2013 at 10:32 PM   #12
epikness

Liked: 37 Times

http://zuzkalight.com/

http://www.dailyhiit.com/

just do it.
Old 05-10-2013 at 10:57 PM   #13
Jesse.C
Account Locked

diet and running, martial arts does not lose your weight
Old 05-11-2013 at 08:27 AM   #14
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse.C View Post
diet and running, martial arts does not lose your weight
Yea? Have you done any martial arts? Idiot. Clearly you haven't because it in fact CAN help you lose weight. Of course this might not apply to everything but if you are in any form of martial arts, you probably do training and those exercises help. The martial arts with lots of kicking and boxing involved are for sure cardio work outs. But what do you know.

Swampis likes this.
Old 05-11-2013 at 11:54 AM   #15
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Hey I just remembered something. Sex is a good way to burn fat.

Just saying. Anyone for a group exercise?