MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to convert 12 point scale to 4 point scale? VoyozooT Academics 2 06-05-2010 05:43 PM
Wrong grade on grade report lululand Academics 35 04-30-2010 07:13 PM
12 Point Grade Average Problem huzaifa47 Academics 29 06-23-2009 01:04 AM

How much grade point is needed to get into mechanical?

Old 10-23-2010 at 05:56 PM   #46
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boolean View Post
Just get as high as you can. The best advice I can give is don't shoot for whatever the entrance grade is, its actually better to not know it since you'll try to get as high as possible.
+1
All you need to know from this ridiculous thread lol.

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 10-23-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-23-2010 at 06:04 PM   #47
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
1st year blows. 2nd year--at least for Electrical-- is a joke. First term I had 4 courses and the only "hard" one was because programming isn't my strong point. And I guess math blew because of the MATLAB assignments, but even then, if you know somebody capable of it, you can most likely leech the work. 2nd term sucked more, but it was more because of a never-ending slew of assignments as opposed to classes being hard. Well, except for another weak point.

3rd year isn't too bad so far. Maybe it's because I'm cruising with a commerce & 2 eng management courses on top of 3 engineering ones. I would only have 4 courses this term if I were straight electrical as opposed to the 6 I have right now.

tl;dr engineering is easy
ehhh if it's your thing I guess it might be easy lol. I'd flunk...math and I aren't really friends, which makes my dad sad because he was in mechanical engineering, and whenever my boyfriend talks about computer science it all goes right over my head ahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Lol, it's not that I get all 12s or even close, it's just that when I don't I know it's not because of 'the prof' or the 'program' or the 'course' it was just me.

EDIT: I also come off like a jackass, so yeah. >_>
ahaha aw, no...now that I get where you're coming from you don't seem like a jackass anymore

Old 10-23-2010 at 06:58 PM   #48
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Haha.

I love the arrogance that many engineering students carry. Too many engineering students place their self worth on their academic abilities.

I'll be honest, I took engineering and management, and I found some of the commerce courses (such as accounting and finance) as challenging as many of my engineering courses.

Taking engineering doesn't make you special or that much smarter than anyone else.

Second year cutoffs are the way they are because 1) They make enough room in second year programs for people to reasonably be able to get into what they want - it's not meant to be a contest. 2) A majority of engineering students are academically average.
Old 10-23-2010 at 07:29 PM   #49
Jaff24

Liked: 11 Times

how did you calculate your CA?
Old 10-23-2010 at 07:34 PM   #50
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

Old 10-23-2010 at 07:49 PM   #51
Furgazi

Liked: 22 Times

Every one of my friends at mac is an engineer. I myself am in the hon. georgraphy program. I can definitely say that from what I know they work on and from what I hear they study it is in no way an easy course to take. Just by comparing my schedule to theirs I am able to see how hard many of them work to be at the top of their classes in order to get the best opportunities.

Let's face it, every single program is a competitive one. No matter how "easy" one may think a program is, it's not always easy when you're competing against a slew of others. On the topic of what is harder, and what needs more knowledge; if you were to show the typical engineer (all of my friends are in electrical bio-med engineering) a GIS vector or raster data representation or show a geography student a MATLAB or even the pre-lab for a chem or biology course, neither of them would generally know where to start. (Yes I know, run on sentence, I'm horrible for those)

The fact of the matter is that everyone is intelligent in their own way, each and every different person obtains a different type of knowledge. So when comparing one program to another it gets you and your "point" nowhere.
Old 10-23-2010 at 08:04 PM   #52
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I wish I went into Life Sci.
Old 10-23-2010
Rakim
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-23-2010 at 08:14 PM   #53
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
Why didn't you switch?

Old 10-23-2010 at 08:44 PM   #54
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
you would fail little *****
Care to elabourate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
Why didn't you switch?
Too much stuff to do, and I'm not sure what switching out mid-semester would consist of.
I just have no passion for what I'm doing at the moment... and I don't find my professors' teaching styles very effective.

Last edited by rcrw88 : 10-23-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-23-2010 at 09:03 PM   #55
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
I wish I stayed in Life Sci

jackiemac, macsci like this.
Old 10-23-2010 at 09:07 PM   #56
killza

Liked: 105 Times

Here's the thing: Don't focus on getting a specific mark, always prepare like you're going to for 100%. If you have this mentality then you'll get in for sure. If your just trying to aim for a certain mark, chances are you're going to get lower than that.

Is it me or do we have an argument on almost every thread in general have at least one argument LOL
Old 10-23-2010 at 09:29 PM   #57
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyshi View Post
I wish I stayed in Life Sci
See you in the lab on Monday!
Old 10-24-2010 at 12:23 PM   #58
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

Quote: