MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Communications/Multimedia + Business lizzzz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 03-27-2010 10:35 PM
What Average For Multimedia? mattgood9 Academics 2 03-23-2010 05:15 PM
2nd Yr Multimedia Schedule Review? TTHX Academics 4 06-23-2009 05:04 PM
Multimedia 1AO3 maverick1990 Academics 6 06-11-2009 04:18 PM
Multimedia 1B03 dhillon11 Academics 1 04-17-2009 10:26 PM

Multimedia and Business

Old 03-18-2010 at 09:09 PM   #1
barcelona

Liked: 0 Times

Multimedia and Business
Okay, so I can't decide whether to take Multimedia or Business in first year.

Lets say I major in Business my first year and take all the required courses for Multimedia. I don't like Business and want to switch to Multimedia as a major. However, I heard that you can't take Multimedia on its own. How would I be able to do another major if I don't have any of the required courses for anything else (as I used up all my courses for Business?)

Also, is it possible to pursue a Business/Multimedia double major?
Old 03-18-2010 at 10:04 PM   #2
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

It is not possible to do a double major with Business, and the major you combine with Multimedia will be in Social Sciences or Humanities.

To me, this is an easy decision. Go into Business, and make your mind up after first year. Multimedia begins in second year, so you will have a lot more experience under your belt to choose.

It's too bad though. Multimedia/Marketing majors would make a killing in the marketplace. I wish I had that option.
Old 03-18-2010 at 11:11 PM   #3
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

You need to take MMedia 1A03 (i think) to get into Multimedia in second year, but you can't take that in Business 1, if I recall correctly. You should email an academic advisor about it.
Old 03-19-2010 at 12:21 AM   #4
mattgood9

Liked: 3 Times

i am in the process of completing business 1, and i found it extremely boring, so therefore im switching into the joint multimedia/communications program for 2nd year
Old 03-19-2010 at 12:35 AM   #5
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Take it from me:

Business program at Mac is shit.
If you love multimedia, go into it. I regret it now.

And you can't do a double major w/ business, period. It's lame.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-19-2010 at 11:05 AM   #6
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

You can take straight Multimedia alone, unless they changed it again this year. In the Multimedia program alone, you still take a few communication courses, which cause many people to just do a double major in multimedia and communication studies.
Old 03-19-2010 at 01:20 PM   #7
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
You can take straight Multimedia alone, unless they changed it again this year. In the Multimedia program alone, you still take a few communication courses, which cause many people to just do a double major in multimedia and communication studies.
This is true.

I'm majoring in just Multimedia. IMO you have to actually be interested in Communications to do the double major. The Comm courses you have to take if you're just in Multimedia are not too bad. Some are a bit dry but they very aren't hard, and you also get to choose like 2 from a list so you have options (you have to take Comm 1A03, 2A03, 2B03, 2C03 and 2 other options from a list I believe).

With the double major there are a lot more you have to take from Communication that may not be very appealing. Also that leaves you with less room to take Multimedia courses you might be interested in.

I like the single major personally, but if you like both than the double major is a popular route.

For the record Multimedia is a small, competitive program so if you choose to take Humanities I including the required courses there is still a chance you might not be accepted into the major. It depends on your overall grade and your grade in the Level 1 Multimedia courses. That said I've never heard anyone complain about not getting in, nor do I know the exact statistics oh how many people get accepted/denied each year. Depends on the number of applicants to the program each year.
Old 03-19-2010 at 03:02 PM   #8
kvdz

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Take it from me:

Business program at Mac is shit.
If you love multimedia, go into it. I regret it now.
Why do you think business is so shitty? I am in commerce and I think it's actually pretty decent, and I know a lot of people feel the same way. Sure there are some profs that are boring, or poor communicators, or maybe it's the fact that you have midterms every weekend? There are definitely some very good professors but it depends on who you have, I guess, and how interested you actually are in business.

In terms of multimedia or business, it should be about your interest. Regardless of your program, you should be interested in it or else you will think its terrible like many people that transfer out of programs. You could always major in one and minor in the other. If you choose business and don't want to minor in multimedia, you can still take a bunch of multimedia classes because you get a fair amount of electives.

Whatever your decision is, choose the one that you could see yourself using in the future and go into it with an open mind. You're going to have shitty professors and assignments everywhere so don't think it's only certain programs.
Old 03-19-2010 at 04:50 PM   #9
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

one thing to note is that not all multimedia courses are open to students not in multimedia. There is very few/limited courses that doesn't require a multimedia major in order to take them or have mmedia pre-reqs.
Old 03-19-2010 at 11:15 PM   #10
sew12
Elite Member

kvdz I'm not 100% sure on this but I don't think you can minor in Multimedia at all and I don't know if you can minor in Business.

You can't just minor in anything if you don't choose it as your major.

Also Stan is correct, most upper year Multimedia courses are not open to take as electives. As the program is small and competitive there are basically only resources for those in the program so the courses aren't open for others to take. There are a few open courses but those are generally the more theoretical courses (like Digital Games) and not the hands on courses that most people are probably interested in.
Old 03-20-2010 at 10:03 AM   #11
kvdz

Liked: 2 Times

Ok sorry about that. I didn't realize you can't minor in multimedia but you can minor in business. Few people do it and they only accept a few people. I was basically trying to say that you get electives in every program so you don't have to limit your courses to that faculty.
Old 03-20-2010 at 12:39 PM   #12
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvdz View Post
Ok sorry about that. I didn't realize you can't minor in multimedia but you can minor in business. Few people do it and they only accept a few people. I was basically trying to say that you get electives in every program so you don't have to limit your courses to that faculty.
You do get electives but I and others were saying that you can't really use those electives to take Multimedia courses. Most the upper year courses aren't offered to anyone not in the Multimedia program. If you're truly interested in Multimedia and plan on doing something in the field in the future than to major or double major in Multimedia are your best options. It would be nice if people could take Multimedia courses as electives but our program just doesn't have the resources for larger classes.
Old 03-20-2010 at 06:45 PM   #13
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
It would be nice if people could take Multimedia courses as electives but our program just doesn't have the resources for larger classes.
Doesn't even have the resources for people that are already in it.

sew12 likes this.
Old 03-20-2010 at 08:18 PM   #14
Alvand

Liked: 38 Times

I would suggest going into Business I and take CMST 1AO3 and MMedia 1A03 as electives. This way, you are not locking any options out. You can spend first year talking to people in both programs to understand which program is best for you. Business I, however, doesn't feel too much like you're in business school due to its course structure, but you do have some business classes in there and the real point of choosing that option is for you not to lock yourself out for later years. I recommend the CMST course because you might want to take courses in that field and it's a nice compliment to multimedia.

You could also major in multimedia and minor in Business. In this case, you'd be taking all the 2nd and 3rd year accounting, marketing, finance, human resources, and information management courses. In my opinion, if you want to get into multimedia production and have a solid foundation of business management principles, take this path. Check out this link for more info on minoring in Business.

So think of both options for now, and remember that you can start with option 1 and move into option 2 in 2nd, or even 3rd, year of your studies.

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Old 03-20-2010 at 08:32 PM   #15
barcelona

Liked: 0 Times

First off, thanks to everyone who replied, I'm surprised it got so many responses. Some of the advice really helped!
I was just wondering if there is an internship opportunity with multimedia/communications...I couldn't find any information on it. I know business does. I was also wondering if anyone knew how good multimedia is in terms of job prospects upon graduation.
Thanks so much!