MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
paying tuition with osap without any interests? bkkk_5 General Discussion 11 08-09-2011 04:17 PM
Woah! Computer playing Jeopardy! phln3 General Discussion 5 01-14-2011 01:29 AM
My offers in jeopardy! Help?! MaryS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-12-2010 12:04 AM
On a random note: Research Interests Everyone? huzaifa47 General Discussion 7 07-26-2009 04:12 PM

Multimedia Interests in Jeopardy

Old 05-29-2012 at 04:41 AM   #1
AwS92

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Multimedia Interests in Jeopardy
The Dean's office has cut program funding and thus resulted in Franci Duran's position being lost, along with 9 courses currently not being offered anymore. We are at full enrollment, and this isn't fair for these cuts to have taken place. We need to determine the best line of action and will need support from the entire program. Past, present, and future Multimedia students should help rally for our education

lt93, mediagurl, unheardvoice like this.
Old 05-29-2012 at 08:07 AM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

What exactly is the "full story"? For anyone not in multimedia, your post doesn't really say much.
Old 05-29-2012 at 09:21 AM   #3
NewGen

Liked: 0 Times

You have my support!
This isn't fair at all.
Old 05-29-2012 at 04:40 PM   #4
AwS92

That's one of the problems, we have barely been informed of what exactly is happening. There are a few of us taking charge and attempting to get more information from the university currently in order to get a better idea and inform everyone else of the problem and it's details.
Old 05-31-2012 at 12:12 PM   #5
Vessi
Tiny

Liked: 44 Times

Where did you get this information from?
Old 06-03-2012 at 11:29 AM   #6
AwS92

We have received information from the head of Humanities as well as other faculty members.
Old 06-06-2012 at 03:15 PM   #7
unheardvoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwS92 View Post
That's one of the problems, we have barely been informed of what exactly is happening. There are a few of us taking charge and attempting to get more information from the university currently in order to get a better idea and inform everyone else of the problem and it's details.
Could you let us know when everyone is meeting up to do this, and what exactly we will be doing? I would like to join =].
Old 06-06-2012 at 03:54 PM   #8
mediagurl

Liked: 22 Times

this sucks. it's so hard to try and get my courses since many of the required classes arent being offered....
Old 06-06-2012 at 08:24 PM   #9
AwS92

Thank you for showing interest everyone, unfortunately we have been notified by multiple faculty members, including the Dean of Humanities, that the courses available are the courses that we get. They will not be adding any courses as they have deemed the ones available the important ones, and that the other course that are no longer offered not a top priority. Personally, the response I received was short and uninformative, but this is all I can provide at this point.

Last edited by AwS92 : 06-06-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-06-2012 at 08:31 PM   #10
Vessi
Tiny

Liked: 44 Times

Well that just completely sucks. I want to take both first year medias in my first year and perhaps major in media, and it's already competitive enough getting in; now they've cut one of the cores for 1B03 which will make it even harder. -__-
Old 06-06-2012 at 10:42 PM   #11
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwS92 View Post
Thank you for showing interest everyone, unfortunately we have been notified by multiple faculty members, including the Dean of Humanities, that the courses available are the courses that we get. They will not be adding any courses as they have deemed the ones available the important ones, and that the other course that are no longer offered not a top priority. Personally, the response I received was short and uninformative, but this is all I can provide at this point.
This goes for CSCT as well. Barely any courses were available from the required list, which puts me graduating on time in jeopardy, and when I asked the faculty if courses could be switched around or others opened, the only answer I received was basically, "Well, there's nothing we can do about it". It was a bit more glorified, but a three-line reply is simply not good enough. We pay good money to go here too, and we expect a satisfactory return on our investment. It's about time they start realizing that fact.
Old 06-12-2012 at 06:20 PM   #12
Mack306

So, if they are not going to re-open some of the required courses again, then is there even a point in being in the Honours Multimedia program? I don't want to waste 3 and a half years if I won't be able to graduate with my BA because I'm missing a course like MMEDIA 4J03(required for Honours Multimedia, but not offered this year, and according to you, will never be offered again).
Old 06-12-2012 at 06:31 PM   #13
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack306 View Post
So, if they are not going to re-open some of the required courses again, then is there even a point in being in the Honours Multimedia program? I don't want to waste 3 and a half years if I won't be able to graduate with my BA because I'm missing a course like MMEDIA 4J03(required for Honours Multimedia, but not offered this year, and according to you, will never be offered again).
If you never had the opportunity to take the requirement, they'll let you graduate without it.