MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Campus Music Explosion - Band Competition Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 02-11-2012 05:25 PM
Envirosci 1A03 question m0nica Academics 1 01-12-2011 11:23 PM
Music 1A03 vs 1B03? juntom10 Academics 2 06-07-2010 10:07 PM
McMaster Concert Band Joann General Discussion 13 06-12-2008 12:06 PM

Music 1GB3 Concert Band (vs Envirosci 1B03)

Old 07-26-2012 at 11:57 AM   #1
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Music 1GB3 Concert Band (vs Envirosci 1B03)
Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone is part of the McMaster University Concert Band and could tell me how the grading works? Is it playing test excerpts from the pieces? Scales, technical studies, etc.?

Assuming I pass the audition, I plan on joining the band no matter what, but I'm debating whether or not to have 1GB3 as an official course (I emailed Dr Kinder and he said you could be part of the band without being part of 1GB3 if you don't have room).

Right now I'm registered for Enviro Sci 1B03 with Bernier. I'm deciding if I'd drop 1B03 for 1GB3 if I pass the audition.

On one hand it would be great to have a similar mark (hopefully a high one) without having to do the labs/papers/etc. if I'm going to be practicing and being part of the band anyway. On the other hand I'm not an amazing player (no private lessons or anything) so I'm afraid the music/band evaluations will be too tough for me.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!
Old 07-26-2012 at 02:25 PM   #2
DarkHalo

Liked: 3 Times

The mark is based on attendance and group evaluations. The week after each concert, instead of rehearsal there will have 30 minute blocks for your group of instruments (saxes, flutes, whatever). Dr. Kinder asks you to play excerpts as a group as he records it and takes notes, only the people taking it as a course have to attend. It usually only lasts 15 minutes, easy peasy. Umm there's 3 concerts throughout but I can't remember if there were 2 or 3 evaluations. Easy 11 or 12 as long as you show up in my experience

Quiver says thanks to DarkHalo for this post.
Old 07-28-2012 at 10:18 PM   #3
Quiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHalo View Post
The mark is based on attendance and group evaluations. The week after each concert, instead of rehearsal there will have 30 minute blocks for your group of instruments (saxes, flutes, whatever). Dr. Kinder asks you to play excerpts as a group as he records it and takes notes, only the people taking it as a course have to attend. It usually only lasts 15 minutes, easy peasy. Umm there's 3 concerts throughout but I can't remember if there were 2 or 3 evaluations. Easy 11 or 12 as long as you show up in my experience
Thank you very much! I'm really leaning toward taking 1GB3 now - hopefully I make it through auditions.

Sounds like it could be bad if your section isn't very good though LOL. Thanks again!
Old 07-28-2012 at 11:49 PM   #4
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

I did it for credit in first year and for no credit in second year. It's a really easy A but I'd rather not pay over 500 bucks for something I could do for free.. I'd just personally rather take a different course and learn something. Not that you don't learn anything in band, but yeah. If you're worried about grades in first year then you can't really go wrong, though hehe. But you will likely have to get permission to overload one semester (it's full year but 3 units, so you'll have 16.5 units in one semester and 13.5 in the other).
Old 07-29-2012 at 11:52 AM   #5
biglandfarm

Liked: 66 Times

in 2nd year, do i join 1gb3 or 2gb3?? its my 1st time in band at mac.

Would love to play in the band. Been blowing my flute for 10 years.

edit.

what i found for music 2gb3

Registration in Level II or above, MUSIC 1GB3 (or 1G03), and successful audition

so in addition to the successful audition, the music 1gb3 is an prereq?

Btw when is the audition?

Last edited by biglandfarm : 07-29-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-29-2012 at 12:06 PM   #6
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglandfarm View Post
in 2nd year, do i join 1gb3 or 2gb3?? its my 1st time in band at mac.

Would love to play in the band. Been blowing my flute for 10 years.

edit.

what i found for music 2gb3

Registration in Level II or above, MUSIC 1GB3 (or 1G03), and successful audition

so in addition to the successful audition, the music 1gb3 is an prereq?

Btw when is the audition?
It's usually like the week before drop/add finishes. So you can add the course on SOLAR just before it closes for first term in terms of adding courses. I'm not sure which course you would enroll in. You are marked the exact same way regardless. Just ask at the audition (if you have too many first year credits then just mention that I guess).

biglandfarm says thanks to yoni for this post.
Old 08-04-2012 at 12:20 AM   #7
andr5550

Concert Band in the past has been marked as everyone has said and a fairly easy credit, We are getting a new conductor though this year so it is hard to say how things will be done. There is a facebook page though where there will be updates for auditions and we will be at clubsfest. I am the president of MUCB so if you have any questions feel free to ask
Old 08-04-2012 at 01:44 PM   #8
Quiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by andr5550 View Post
Concert Band in the past has been marked as everyone has said and a fairly easy credit, We are getting a new conductor though this year so it is hard to say how things will be done. There is a facebook page though where there will be updates for auditions and we will be at clubsfest. I am the president of MUCB so if you have any questions feel free to ask
Hello! I have just a few questions, if you don't mind.

1. What exactly is the level of the concert band? I'm scared I'll be really behind compared to everyone else (though I guess if it was that bad I wouldn't even make it through the auditions...)

2. Speaking of auditions, what are they like? I think I read somewhere that it's 2 contrasting pieces, but is there a list of pieces to choose from? What difficulty should they be? Are they just excerpts or full pieces?

3. Do you know who the new conductor will be?

I guess that was more than just a few ... sorry! Thank you for your help
Old 08-04-2012 at 10:40 PM   #9
alex.boho

Liked: 0 Times

Enviro Sci 1B03 is the most amazing course in first year!!
Old 08-05-2012 at 03:39 PM   #10
andr5550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
Hello! I have just a few questions, if you don't mind.

1. What exactly is the level of the concert band? I'm scared I'll be really behind compared to everyone else (though I guess if it was that bad I wouldn't even make it through the auditions...)

2. Speaking of auditions, what are they like? I think I read somewhere that it's 2 contrasting pieces, but is there a list of pieces to choose from? What difficulty should they be? Are they just excerpts or full pieces?

3. Do you know who the new conductor will be?

I guess that was more than just a few ... sorry! Thank you for your help

The music isn't that challenging, most of our band actually isn't even in music but other faculties so I wouldn't worry to much about that. we do range in what we play but a lot of it s more challenging in terms of emotion and dynamics, etc. We do have pieces available that you can use but most people just do there own music, it is very low key and chill. I wouldn't really stress about it too much! If you want a copy of the music come by our table at clubsfest and it should be there. And no news on our new conductor but hopefully we will know soon!!! Hope that helped!!!

Quiver says thanks to andr5550 for this post.