Music 2II3

Music 2II3
Best Class Ever
Published by wienerjc
07-26-2010
Published by

Music 2II3

- MUSIC 2II3
Pop Music is definitely the easiest course I've taken and is also the best course I've ever taken. First, the material is incredibly interesting for anyone at all interested in music. I always felt like it was "story time" on Monday nights. Also, none of the material is really that hard to grasp. Second, it's not necessary to read the entire book. But it's so interesting and fairly well-written such that I ended up reading it all anyway. Third, there are two non-cumulative, multiple choice tests and a multiple choice final. The tests have a "listening section," in which you answer a few simple questions based on a few song clips the professor plays during the test. Luckily, the professor gives you a list of clips (from which the test clips are selected) well before the test. Finally, the professors are great. I had Dr. Wood, who isn't teaching the class this year. However, I have only heard great things about Dr. Fast from a number of my friends. She's also written a pretty solid book on Led Zeppelin called "In the Houses of the Holy." (I'd recommend checking it out if you're interested.) The only downside is that lecture notes aren't posted, so you either have to go to class or get them from someone else.
(Bonus: no tutorials!)

cee023 likes this.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Music 2II3!

Old 09-09-2010 at 12:42 AM   #2
7upp

Liked: 0 Times
fun course!
Old 02-20-2011 at 06:15 PM   #3
jimimusic

Liked: 11 Times
don't underestimate the first midterm.... i paid the price for it.
Old 06-08-2011 at 01:16 PM   #4
sambhuvan

is there a textbook for this class?

Old 06-08-2011 at 03:16 PM   #5
Dave12

Liked: 6 Times
There is a textbook for this class it's "What's that Sound?" by John Covach. Although I would not underestimate this class. Although I don't think Dr. Faust is as easy as Dr. Wood. I had Faust and her multiple choice was brutal at times. I know quite a few people who studied a lot and still did pretty bad. Although I did find it interesting.
Old 06-13-2011 at 01:26 PM   #6
Dopematic

Liked: 28 Times
Anyone have a course outline that they could upload?
I'm just wondering if this course only has the midterms and the final exam, or are there assignments/essays as well?
Old 12-24-2011 at 10:57 AM   #7
Kliu92

Liked: 1 Time
I took the course with Simon Wood and there wasn't really a course outline. The course with Simon only had 2 MCQ midterms and an MCQ final. No assignments/essays, it was a really straightforward and fun course! I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 12-28-2011 at 10:19 PM   #8
Circa

Liked: 160 Times
Best course I have ever taken. There are three tests/exam and the breakdown is 25%, 30%, 45% respectively. It's not a free 12 or anything because the MC tests are somewhat tricky with a lot of "A,B,C, A and B, B and C" type options (the course average is mid to high 70s)

If you just go to class and pay attention, you can come out with a 10, with minimal work required. The content is very interesting and if you have any love for music, you will love this course.
Old 01-03-2012 at 05:26 PM   #9
sugiurnd

Liked: 1 Time
Best Course Ever
This course was by far the best course I have ever taken. I know there are two profs but if you can get Simon then you are golden. Going to class never felt like a chore and it was effortless to pay attention. So long as you go to class and take decent notes, the midterm and exams are really easy. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone and was sad when it ended.

starlover likes this.
Old 01-11-2012 at 07:37 PM   #10
martiul
Account Disabled by User

Can anyone comment on how much textbook material is found on the tests?
Old 01-11-2012 at 08:04 PM   #11
cygnusX1

Liked: 46 Times
Most of the trickier and more obscure questions were from the textbook. You'll definitely want to review before tests.
Old 04-23-2012 at 01:43 PM   #12
SharonGoh

Honestly.. if you want an easy 12 DON'T take this course if Dr. Fast is teaching it!!!!!! Professor Wood was teaching it first term and almost everyone got 12s easy! Plus he's way more enthusiastic and interesting when he teaches. Averages for Dr. Fast's midterms in second term were 60%. Her MC questions are very tricky, like she would have each MC answer being half correct and half wrong so you have to know everything in order to answer questions. Also some questions can only be answered if you know class material AND textbook. At least she made the exam easier, otherwise this course would have been my lowest grade in university.
Old 06-06-2012 at 12:51 AM   #13
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times
Aw darn it, I'm thinking of taking this course but the web doesn't say who's teaching the course this term.
Old 06-13-2012 at 01:15 PM   #14
buriloa

Does anyone know who is teaching the course this upcoming term?
Old 06-14-2012 at 01:15 PM   #15
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times
I actually have no idea, but I hope it's Wood.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search