Live Jazz obama General Discussion 3 10-10-2009 07:30 AM
Music 3u03? JAZZ? eve_eve Academics 1 06-24-2009 06:10 PM
McMaster Jazz Band? MarkA General Discussion 0 09-24-2008 04:20 PM

Music 3U03 Jazz

Old 06-03-2010 at 06:32 PM   #1
leah.d

Liked: 0 Times

Music 3U03 Jazz
Has anyone taken music 3U03 before? I am looking for an easy elective.
The course listing says:
"An historical survey of jazz, focusing on selected performers and arrangers."
but that doesn't tell me much and I could not find the course outline.
are there essays? is the exam worth more than 50%.
I used to be in jazz band in highschool and I think it would be fun to learn the history of the artists we were playing. I am not a music major so will this be hard? is the prof good?
Any advice or info?
Old 06-03-2010 at 09:04 PM   #2
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

I took this course in the fall of 2008, when I was in second year. I'm in science, so this was also an elective for me, and I'm fairly sure that many, if not most, of the people in that class are not music majors. The prof, Hugh Hartwell, is wonderful. He started our first lecture by saying that he "created this course so that people could get get a perfect mark". I can't remember the exact course outline, but there were three tests and an exam. All of the tests were listening-based, and covered approximately 20 songs from the syllabus. Basically, ten selections were played, and you had to answer two or three very short short answer questions (think one-word answers). The text for this class is a coursepack, which is very helpful because it goes through each of the songs on the listening list, identifying key aspects. Class is usually structured so that you listen to a few songs as a class, and Dr Hartwell talks about them - putting them in context of the style, pointing out key chord progressions, telling anecdotes about the composers of performers that help you to remember, and often sitting down at the piano at the front of the room to really drive his points home. I really really enjoyed this course, and it was definitely nice to sit and listen to jazz for an hour a few times a week

leah.d says thanks to Sarah13 for this post.
Old 06-03-2010 at 10:19 PM   #3
leah.d

Thank you sooo much! That was very helpful! I really am certain that I will take this course now was the exam hard? m/c or short ans?
Old 06-03-2010 at 10:54 PM   #4
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

The exam covered a ton of material, but was extremely straightforward. It was one of those tests where if you knew the material, you would be done very quickly, and if you didn't know it, there wasn't very much you could do about it. I'm pretty sure almost all of the class left the exam room at the 45 minute mark, and many were done way before that. There was no listening, and it was a mix of short short answer, definitions, true/false, I believe a bit of matching...nothing too strenuous, you just need to know the info.

leah.d says thanks to Sarah13 for this post.
Old 06-09-2010 at 11:15 PM   #5
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

thanks for the review, I love jazz and am definitely going to be taking this course now.
Old 06-10-2010 at 10:25 AM   #6
leah.d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusenik View Post
thanks for the review, I love jazz and am definitely going to be taking this course now.
hey! let's be class friends I am already signed up for this class and I don't know anyone in it!
Old 06-10-2010 at 11:15 AM   #7
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

Don't take all the spots! I wanna be in it tooooo!
Old 06-11-2010 at 11:56 AM   #8
leah.d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmountain View Post
Don't take all the spots! I wanna be in it tooooo!
Hurry up get in so we can be study buddies!
I am in Kin too!!
Do you need some textbooks? I may have some you might need
Old 07-07-2010 at 01:03 AM   #9
reza.zaeim

Jazz 3U03 Listening Material
Im so glad I found this page. I graduated from Mac in 2007, I took this course as an elective as well same prof I was in Sciences, had a great time.

Anyway I really was hoping someone could post the listening material list online. There are some amazing songs in there and I'd love to get the list to create a collection out of as I dont have the course material any longer..

Those were good ol' days