MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losing a respect from a girl I like. gongshow Dating & Relationships 45 08-02-2010 02:32 PM
Paranoid about losing my acceptance. olive First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-30-2010 09:53 PM
Last day for dropping a Term 3 course without failure AND losing money Kathy2 Academics 8 10-05-2009 10:18 PM
Emails not working? Flag First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-24-2009 10:32 PM
How can I forward my MUSS emails to Gmail? HeatherH General Discussion 7 07-09-2009 04:50 PM

MUSS losing emails

Old 06-14-2010 at 03:17 PM   #1
cowpuppy

Liked: 14 Times

MUSS losing emails
Anyone having problems with not receiving emails people apparently sent you to your Mcmaster email?
Old 06-14-2010 at 03:30 PM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Is this a recent problem? Ive never had an issue with muss...

But ive heard if you setup your muss to forward to gmail/hotmail/etc, there are issues sometimes.
Old 06-22-2010 at 03:25 PM   #3
vkozina

Liked: 6 Times

Make sure you delete email/ empty your inbox because if its full you won't receive more mail and therefore possibly missing out on very important information/ emails sent by your faculty/ program/ prof!!
Old 06-22-2010 at 03:44 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkozina View Post
Make sure you delete email/ empty your inbox because if its full you won't receive more mail and therefore possibly missing out on very important information/ emails sent by your faculty/ program/ prof!!
So true and so very annoying. I would suggest trying to keep your inbox clean, every time you get an e-mail either delete it or convert it to a pdf and save it to your computer, then delete it. Otherwise it becomes a pain in the ass to sort through your e-mails.
Old 06-22-2010 at 03:48 PM   #5
vkozina

Liked: 6 Times

The McMaster mail system is terrible. They don't give students nearly enough space.
Old 06-22-2010 at 04:31 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Forward it to gmail or hotmail. Keep the MUSS inbox at 0kb if possible.
Old 06-22-2010 at 04:40 PM   #7
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

YES!!! I'm having problem with MUSS as well.
I get all my emails forwarded from MUSS to Gmail. But lately, some have ONLY been showing up in Gmail and not in MUSS. I don't know what the problem is. I'm kind of pissed, because we pay for this email in our tuition. (And no, my inbox/sent box are not full, they are practically empty)

Just make sure you forward your MUSS to Gmail or something. Apparently if it gets lost on its way to your MUSS, it still makes it to your forwarded email.
Old 06-22-2010 at 04:42 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I get all my emails forwarded from MUSS to Gmail. But lately, some have ONLY been showing up in Gmail and not in MUSS. I don't know what the problem is. I'm kind of pissed, because we pay for this email in our tuition. (And no, my inbox/sent box are not full, they are practically empty)

Just make sure you forward your MUSS to Gmail or something. Apparently if it gets lost on its way to your MUSS, it still makes it to your forwarded email.
Are you sure you didn't uncheck to save a copy in your inbox?
Old 06-22-2010 at 05:49 PM   #9
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Are you sure you didn't uncheck to save a copy in your inbox?
Yup, I'm sure. Most emails show up in MUSS. But every once in a while, they only go to Gmail. I have no idea why
Old 06-22-2010 at 05:51 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Yup, I'm sure. Most emails show up in MUSS. But every once in a while, they only go to Gmail. I have no idea why
Hmm that is quite interesting, most likely caused by the crappy system XD
Old 06-22-2010 at 06:51 PM   #11
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:

Having the exact same problem. I've set the rules correctly and everything aswell.
Its wierd, I've never had this problem before just noticed this week that everything is going directly to my hotmail and gmail accounts but nothing is in my MUSS account. Also my inbox is under the storage limit so its something on their end.
Old 07-29-2010 at 10:55 PM   #12
Isabel

Liked: 3 Times

I had this 'problem' first year too. Maybe yours is for different reasons, but the reason I couldn't find my emails was because 1) they were arranged from oldest emails to newest emails and 2) I hadn't realised there was more than one page of emails (I know, pretty basic right?) So of course all of my recent emails were coming in but were only visible on the 2nd and 3rd pages of my inbox. Make sure that's all in order...
Old 07-30-2010 at 09:12 PM   #13
snaps

Liked: 32 Times

Just use POP3 and set it up so you delete the emails you download. Had no problems with this over the last three years.
Old 07-30-2010 at 11:36 PM   #14
ali11

Liked: 7 Times

here's something most people don't know and really surprised me when i found out. it solves the problem stated above by most people.

go to MUGSI > My Profile > Email Address Management.

Your email, which is [email protected] is technically just a mask; in other words, anything sent to your [email protected] email is sent to your primary email address. So if you've selected [email protected] er.ca as your primary email address, then all emails directed to [email protected] will also go to that address. Same goes with if you've set your primary email address as an external email (my primary is my gmail, and thus my @mcmaster.ca is just a 'mask' for my @gmail.com account, and so things will only show on MUSS if they're sent to my @muss.cis.mcmaster.ca email).

i know i suck at explaining things sometimes, so let me know if i can word that better.
Old 08-02-2010 at 02:00 PM   #15
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

It's not just you. I stopped using MUSS in first year because I had the same problem. The last two years I would use my MUSS email via my gmail account. And that was because my department was really strict with students using only their MUSS account.

Gmail ftw, always.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement