MacInsiders Logo

My 1st robbery experienced in this country.

Old 10-04-2009 at 03:14 AM   #1
myunghm

Liked: 0 Times

My 1st robbery experienced in this country.
First of all, I am torn and confused. I would like to hear your opinions.
This is the story: When I went to the charlie west today, I left my backpack outside the store,
naively thinking that everyone cares for each other and I have nothing to worry about. However, when I came back, the bag was there, but all the money, camera, and books - including my meaningful novel Anna Karenina - were gone suddenly.
As you may expect, I had a choice of accusing the guards, but I did not wish to give any negative feeling to someone who has possibly done nothing related to my desperate situation.
I feel as I must change my mindset about this nation, or the whole mankind - I apologize if it sounds like an exaggeration.
This is the question: what should I do? Was it the right thing that I chose to do?
I would be thankful if you can help me

Last edited by myunghm : 10-04-2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old 10-04-2009 at 06:01 AM   #2
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

You really shouldn't be so trusting of people. I doubt there's anything you can do except for telling the guards...which you did right? But I don't think there's much they can do either, they're not responsible for your things. But yeah...don't leave money/camera/phone, anything valuable outside in public like that...hope it wasn't too much money

Last edited by Harlequin90 : 10-04-2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-04-2009 at 06:43 AM   #3
R.L.

Liked: 3 Times

Hey,

What happened to you was awful and unfortunetly things get stolen everyday.
I hope your mindset about Canadians, let alone mankind, has not changed drastically because in general, there are nice people out there - it's just the bad ones that make everyone on edge. There are more good people than bad.
As far as your belongings go, I would talk to the manager at Charlie West and tell him/her what happened. That's all you can really do. And like Harlequin 90 said, don't leave anything valuable out of your sight!
Old 10-04-2009 at 09:20 AM   #4
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Well there are people who resort to/are tempted by crime in every single country in the world! I could go and post an essay about why Crime in Canada is lower or Percieved to be lower then where you presumably are from but the fact of the matter is that a large percentage of small crimes are crimes of oppurtunity! Don't give people this oppurtuntiy! If you think this is bad; there have been bikes stolen off an on campus by people destroying the locks!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 10-04-2009 at 09:33 AM   #5
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

Wow that's horrible. Sorry you had to go through that, but really you shouldn't be so trusting of anyone. Personally I think it's crazy to leave so many valuables outside in your bag? I guess it's a lesson learned at the most.
Old 10-04-2009 at 10:51 AM   #6
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

yeah, I never leave sight of anything I carry around with me.
Old 10-04-2009 at 11:07 AM   #7
Flag

Liked: 35 Times

I wouldn't leave an empty backpack alone outside, much less one full of valuables...
Old 10-04-2009 at 11:09 AM   #8
manaya

Liked: 26 Times

I am so sorry u had to go through that. Its definitely very painful at first when u know ur stuff is with someone who doesn't deserve it. But i had to learn it the hard way as well ... but let this be a lesson well learnt. NEVER trust anyone u dont know with your belongings.

Its a sad fact we have to live with.

Old 10-04-2009 at 11:21 AM   #9
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

I understand were your coming from, I was reading that in Japan you can leave your bags at the food court on your table, go to the washroom, and when you comeback, they will still be there!!!

Let's just say not all Canadians are like that.
Old 10-04-2009 at 11:38 AM   #10
eric_3490

Liked: 7 Times

I find it kind of strange that the other night I was working on an assignment in thode and some guy came over and put his macbook on my table and asked if I would watch it because he had to go for like 10 minutes. I said okay and watched it for him, but really its not like he knew that I wasn't going to steal it. I would never leave my laptop with someone I dont know.

Old 10-04-2009 at 11:48 AM   #11
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

That's a tough break man. Don't ever distance yourself from something you deem valuable because for every person that you can trust, there's also a desperate person out there who will steal it.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-04-2009 at 11:58 AM   #12
myunghm

Liked: 0 Times

As an international learner, when I came to this country, I had, yet skeptically, this universal notion that Canada is an ideal place - where trust is a core value.

it's not only the first robbery in Canada, but also in my life. I did not expect it, and it is difficult for me to cope with such involuntary and unfamiliar feelings against others, whose definition has suddenly changed. Yet, I feel much better now since listening to people sharing valuable opinions - I do feel much better.

Here is a question that I would be very thankful to know: "what is the 'truth' about the situations in Canada, specifically around MAC?"

Last edited by myunghm : 10-04-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-04-2009 at 12:08 PM   #13
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

canada has its share of thieves like all countries, just be careful with your belongings. Think of it this way the punishment for theft in canada is like a slap on the wrist. So obviously individuals are not going to fear stealing but in countries like Saudi Arabia, where the repercussions of theft are severe the likelihood of theft is minimal.
Old 10-04-2009 at 12:13 PM   #14
rickmeister

Liked: 1 Time

It's not the truth about Canada or Mac. It's just common knowledge there's bad people everywhere in the world. I've lived in three different countries (in Canada for the past 8), and the fact is that, in every country, it is not smart to leave valuable stuff alone anywhere! Yes, Canada is an ideal place to live compared to many other countries, but that doesn't mean you can leave all your valuables lying around and no one will steal them. There's still bad people everywhere... no matter where you go.

Just don't leave your stuff lying around anymore. Before you go lose your faith in Canadians, remember that McMaster is a very, VERY multicultural university and whoever stole from you wasn't necessarily Canadian. Bad people are everywhere...

lawleypop likes this.
Old 10-04-2009 at 02:13 PM   #15
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

every country has thieves, and crimes. The only difference is the how much crime is commited per day. Canada's crime rate isnt high, but it is there. I personally never leave anything valuable from my sight, and I hope you get your stuff back (but its unlikely unless they have cameras outside). Sorry to hear about that