MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A retiree and a landlord ychen Introduce Yourself 3 04-22-2012 05:13 PM
Can landlord rise my rent? penguinppy Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 12 06-23-2011 07:59 AM
Can my landlord do this? Ownaginatios Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 43 03-04-2011 11:13 AM
Awful Landlord DannyV General Discussion 18 08-02-2009 04:24 AM
sketchy landlord? shleyaa General Discussion 11 01-13-2009 07:34 PM

My landlord hasn't cleaned up my place?

Old 07-08-2012 at 12:57 PM   #16
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla View Post
She has already cashed the first and last months rent, $2400. I'm planning on sharing this place with my buddy who will be going to Mohawk to answer the above poster's question.

I've complained but she just gave me lame excuses and pretty much said "yeah I'll do it next week" which means I'll be -$600

I was pretty diplomatic in my complaint to her but I'm pretty close to going off the handle and telling her off. Before I get too angry I'd like to figure out what options I have in the situation to ensure everything goes smoothly but so far my research hasn't turned up any results.
The way I understand it, total rent for the place is $1200 per month. If guerilla is sharing with one person that would make $600 per month per person. High, but not absurdly high like each person is being scammed, I think. Especially if people in other places are paying something like $500/month each.
Old 07-08-2012 at 01:50 PM   #17
guerilla

Liked: 33 Times

Yeah the place is pretty spacious, easily enough room for 3 people in here so the price is somewhat justified. I'm more or less concerned with the fact that the place is a dump and its nearing on 2 weeks into my paid residency.
Old 07-08-2012 at 02:50 PM   #18
artsy

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I think you should definitely ask her to compensate for the week you lost.
I don't know much about the law surrounding this type of situation but if she hasn't held up her side of the bargain I think you have the right to terminate the lease. I'm guessing you want to stay at this location though so I would say ask her to compensate for a weeks rent.
Again you might want to check with the Mac's off-campus service for better options
Old 07-08-2012 at 03:01 PM   #19
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla View Post
Yeah the place is pretty spacious, easily enough room for 3 people in here so the price is somewhat justified. I'm more or less concerned with the fact that the place is a dump and its nearing on 2 weeks into my paid residency.
I suppose you should argue that you signed the lease expecting a liveable place. Take pics of everything before it is cleaned - including the shower that doesn't even work properly. Then you can argue that you shouldn't have to pay for a place when it is uninhabitable.

Vessi likes this.