MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can my landlord do this? Ownaginatios Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 43 03-04-2011 11:13 AM
Landlord needs SIN, license, and bank info patela77 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 31 01-14-2011 12:08 AM
Minorities to rise significantly by 2031 jo87 General Discussion 98 03-16-2010 03:40 PM
Awful Landlord DannyV General Discussion 18 08-02-2009 04:24 AM
sketchy landlord? shleyaa General Discussion 11 01-13-2009 07:34 PM

Can landlord rise my rent?

Old 04-14-2011 at 02:51 AM   #1
penguinppy

Liked: 0 Times

Can landlord rise my rent?
the landlord is going to rise more than 15% of my rent for next year
currently i already lived in the place for more than a year
can the landlord literally do this?
Thanks so much
Old 04-14-2011 at 02:53 AM   #2
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

yes. you only signed a one-year lease.

once that lease is over he can change the terms to his liking. you can decide not to sign and look elsewhere.
Old 04-14-2011 at 03:26 AM   #3
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinppy View Post
the landlord is going to rise more than 15% of my rent for next year
currently i already lived in the place for more than a year
can the landlord literally do this?
Thanks so much
Probably Not. The residential tenancy act does limit rent increases to the increase in the consumer price index (0.7% for this year), but there could be a couple of ways for your landlord to slip around that requirement by being sleazy / convincing you to sign a new lease without knowing your rights. To better understand your situation, please answer the following questions:

a) What type of rental agreement did you have last year? Was it a year long lease? Was it an individual lease or a group lease?

b) Did your rental agreement include utilities?

c) How did you landlord inform you of the rent increase? Did they just give you a new lease to sign with a larger number or did they just tell you or what?

d) Have you signed anything since the lease/agreement you had for last year?

For reference, the Residential Tenancy Act (which likely governs your rental agreement) is available here:
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta... f.htm#s116s1

The Ontario tenants webpage (just a privately run site, not official) is also a good place for generation information:
http://www.ontariotenants.ca /law/law.phtml#Q13

Last edited by dsahota : 04-14-2011 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Clarification

Mahratta says thanks to dsahota for this post.
Old 04-14-2011 at 03:35 AM   #4
dsahota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia View Post
yes. you only signed a one-year lease.

once that lease is over he can change the terms to his liking. you can decide not to sign and look elsewhere.
This is completely false.

From: http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/Key_Info...02_111862.html
"The end of a fixed term tenancy or lease does not mean that a tenant has to move out. A new lease can be made or the landlord and tenant can agree to renew the lease for another fixed term period.

If a new agreement is not reached, the tenant still has the right to stay:

as a monthly tenant, if they paid their rent by the month in the expired lease, or
as a weekly tenant, if they paid their rent by the week in the expired lease.
Where the tenant stays on as a monthly or weekly tenant, all the rules of the former lease will still apply to the landlord and tenant. But the landlord can increase the rent each year by the amount allowed under the Act."

Mahratta likes this.
Old 04-14-2011 at 04:09 AM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

depends on the contract. most contracts allow an increase in rent up to a certain value immediately (as in for next month). mines was 15%. double check ur agreement that u signed for that year else ask the off campus counsellor
Old 04-14-2011 at 04:43 AM   #6
SmSm

Liked: 0 Times

it states in the contract when the contract is up you need to sign a new contract or it is going to be a monthly rent. If you need to sign a new contract yes he can increase the rent.
Old 04-14-2011 at 05:42 AM   #7
dsahota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
depends on the contract. most contracts allow an increase in rent up to a certain value immediately (as in for next month). mines was 15%. double check ur agreement that u signed for that year else ask the off campus counsellor
A contract such as that would clearly violate the residential tenancy act. The landlord can't get around the act by just adding a clause that says they can raise the rent by an amount in excess of the act. The act is also very clear that 90 days notice MUST be given for any increase in rental amount.
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta..._ e.htm#BK136
"A landlord shall not increase the rent charged to a tenant for a rental unit without first giving the tenant at least 90 days written notice of the landlord’s intention to do so. 2006, c. 17, s. 116 (1)."

Just because a landlord tells you something, doesn't mean its legal or enforceable. You should consider the word of your landlord to be about as good as a telemarketer who calls claiming you've just won a free trip. Especially in student areas, landlords regularly ignore near every section of the residential tenancy act. They do this because they know most students aren't aware of their rights and are under of lots of pressure to find a place to live, thus they are ripe for exploitation. Its up to you as an adult to know your rights and make sure they're not being stomped on by an exploitive landlord.

As a side note, I've been landlord for over 5 years, so I don't say this out of spite. Rather, I think all renters deserve to be treated fairly (which the act generally provides for) and the rampant exploitation of student renters by landlords in the McMaster area really frustrates me.

temptingf8 says thanks to dsahota for this post.

crazyfree, L'Étoile, RyanC like this.
Old 04-14-2011 at 06:33 AM   #8
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post
As a side note, I've been landlord for over 5 years, so I don't say this out of spite. Rather, I think all renters deserve to be treated fairly (which the act generally provides for) and the rampant exploitation of student renters by landlords in the McMaster area really frustrates me.
I wish all landlords were like you.
Old 04-14-2011 at 08:05 AM   #9
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Do you live with your landlord and share at least a kitchen? If you do, the RTA goes out the window.
Old 04-14-2011 at 08:15 AM   #10
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

hmm, say my landlord lives in the house i live in, and does share a kitchen, is he allowed to raise my rent mid way through if he wants, cus u just said the RTA doesnt work then does it?
Old 04-14-2011 at 10:28 AM   #11
mallo788
Account Disabled by User

Liked: Liked 3 Times

krup92, that's correct. If you share a kitchen or bathroom with the landlord, or their immediate family, the RTA doesn't apply to you. That means the landlord can basically do whatever they want.
Old 04-14-2011 at 11:27 AM   #12
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post
This is completely false.

From: http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/Key_Info...02_111862.html
"The end of a fixed term tenancy or lease does not mean that a tenant has to move out. A new lease can be made or the landlord and tenant can agree to renew the lease for another fixed term period.

If a new agreement is not reached, the tenant still has the right to stay:

as a monthly tenant, if they paid their rent by the month in the expired lease, or
as a weekly tenant, if they paid their rent by the week in the expired lease.
Where the tenant stays on as a monthly or weekly tenant, all the rules of the former lease will still apply to the landlord and tenant. But the landlord can increase the rent each year by the amount allowed under the Act."
Wow, and I just thought my landlord was a dick. Turns out he was actually going against the rules. Wish I'd known this before..

Old 06-23-2011 at 07:59 AM   #13
Manley

Liked: 14 Times

I had the misfortune of sharing the house with a landlord's daughter (she also went to Mac). After the Brandon fire I had to move there because there was nowhere else to go (it took a few weeks for them to get us to hotels). So on the one hand I lucked out. On the other hand I lived in a nightmare (I cannot stress the word NIGHTMARE enough) for a year and a half before me and another cut our losses and moved out (which is tough when you are on OSAP). The daughter and landlords were vindictive, shady people. The daughter would make lies and rumours about everyone in the house and then tell the landlords who would try to press charges (we had students aiming for their P.eng, Med School here).

So long story short, never live with a landlord's family, and always make certain when looking at houses that none of their family will live there or has a room there.