MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
reinstatement dannieb First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-13-2010 08:53 PM
Reinstatement OR ...FML... PHRG Academics 5 05-02-2010 11:44 AM

My path of reinstatement so far

Old 06-09-2011 at 03:24 PM   #1
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

My path of reinstatement so far
Hey guys,

I just finished my one year off university from the result of poor grades.
During the past year I took the advice of advisers and took up some university courses.

I've completed Year 1 Math at Athabasca with a grade of 88%. I've also completed Physics with a 70%.

My McMaster grades for the same courses were 60% and 55% respectively.

I've also completed a Construction Estimating certificate and Project scheduling certificate program from George Brown College. I plan to take some finance classes this summer as well.

When I spoke with my engineering advisor, she was extremely happy and told me to reinstate with confidence.

Personally, from working fulltime as a construction estimator this past year, my colleagues (two top-tier CGA/CAs) advised me to switch into business. I reckon that this was from the advice I gave them when our company was facing some financial trouble. Through the brainstorming of everyone at the company, we pulled out of deficit and ended up being getting heavy investment from ROI Capital. Over the year, I learned everything there is to learn about finances, balances, taxes, etc. Especially with regards to properties and real estate.

After speaking with the Degroote recruiter and people, I learned that I would have to have no failed courses.

So I filed an appeal to have my 2 failed courses removed, backed with my family doctor's note RE: clinical depression. I also should note that I wasn't aware of this up until this summer.. But if you've ever been depressed yourself, you know that sometimes you forget about solutions that would be so clear and straightforward for normal individuals.. I think it's called depressive reality(?).

I only submitted the appeal a few days ago, but I do hope that it'll go through.

To get to the point of this post--

I'd like to know how to write a reinstatement letter now that I've taken the requested leave and necessary actions to better myself and my overall standing. My primary interest is to go back into Business.

I really don't know where to start and I am hesitant to look at static web page examples for something that has been a year coming.

Tips / advice from this community is very welcomed

Sincerely,

Simon

PS. A year off is not bad at all. It is an eye opener more than anything else. Think of it like this if you will:

When someone is an immigrant to Canada, and is still learning the language; they go to class, read books, etc.. Their biggest fear is to simply speak, because they don't want to make mistakes. But they speak, make mistakes, and learn. Everyone makes mistakes, from something like learning a language to multimillion dollar mistakes, it is natural, and sometimes accidents/incidents out of our hand happen... We pay for our mistakes, whether mistake or accident/incident. But afterward, we obtain knowledge of those repercussions and learn to better ourselves.

Last edited by ZSimon : 06-09-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2011 at 04:22 PM   #2
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

I think you've sort of written most of the big ideas for your reinstatement letter already in that post. It shows that you've pulled yourself together, you have a clearer idea of what you want to do and all in all it sounds like you would do well when you come back to school. I would look at examples anyway and look for ideas regarding structure and tone of the letter. But of course make it your own.

As for advice on how to write one, it says in the undergraduate calendar that its a 'letter of explanation'. You know exactly why you weren't doing so well to begin with, so I would elaborate on that. Plus you've got a whole year of experience to back up the fact that you know why you're coming back, which should allow you to finish your letter strong.

I also want to congratulate you for puling yourself together and making such good use of your time!

ZSimon says thanks to particle for this post.
Old 06-09-2011 at 04:30 PM   #3
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

I'd like to be the second to congratulate you, you have accomplished a numerous amount of things over the last year.

ZSimon says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.

Ish001 likes this.
Old 06-09-2011 at 05:52 PM   #4
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Thank you, I will make a tentative letter for now and look at those resources.
Old 06-09-2011 at 06:34 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I agree with the above posts. Just reading your post really made me feel that you've truly realized what you've been doing wrong and really worked hard to turn that around. I think it's important for you to show them that you were able to turn a negative experience into a more positive one and accomplishing a lot in just a year. Also, make sure you show them that you have the potential to really excel and do well after coming back and use examples from your experience in order to support that. I don't think there's really any format you should follow and I don't recommend you do. Just make it personal and explain your position and standing well in order to really prove that you're ready for the next step. I found these tips on the Ryerson website which I also thought were pretty useful. http://www.ryerson.ca/counselling/co...nstatement.htm