MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psych 3vv3 rrtt Academics 0 12-14-2010 06:21 PM
Psych 3vv3 Or Psych 3f03? mel89 Academics 0 08-21-2010 01:02 PM
Psych 2E03 vs Psych 2N03 Opinions thoughts etc lithiumforce Academics 3 06-25-2010 04:39 PM
Psych 3A03, 3T03, 3U03, 3VV3, 3YY3? moops Academics 2 08-25-2009 01:16 AM

My thoughts on Human memory (psych 3vv3). A course for those who think differently.

Old 04-17-2012 at 11:53 AM   #1
killza

Liked: 105 Times

My thoughts on Human memory (psych 3vv3). A course for those who think differently.
This is basically an ad for the course because it's my favorite course of all time. In fact, I liked it so much that my future plans changed after I took this course.

This course is very different from ALL the courses I've taken at mac and it seems not alot of people know about it. Basically it's a third year cognition course.

What it is

It's basically a course about how humans process information. Some of the contents are how implicit memory works, how people recognize things and why our memory sometimes fail us. It was REALLY interesting to me because it basically presented information about how we think. If you really liked cognition, this is the course for you. It goes way more in depth about heuristics and how certain dimensions of an object are processed. We don't touch neuroscience at all.

Why this course is awesome:

My personal favourite reason:
It's a course to think about how humans think.

First, it requires minimal memorization. The only things you have to memorize are BIG concepts.

Second, probably the most important part, the entire course uses very basic language. There actually is NO jargon AT ALL.

Third, questions worth 80% of the midterm and 75% of the final exam are given 4/5 days before hand However, these questions are essay style questions but the proff encourages you to work with classmates to find an answer.

Fourth: The proff (Dr.Milliken) is a SUPER nice guy and very passionate about what he teaches.

Why this course is very different:

1. EVERYTHING you learn in this course cannot be physically seen aka: it's purely theoretical
2. Inline with the first point, ability to analyze graphs and correlation is crucial.
3. If you constantly think in analogies, the course becomes very easy (seriously)
4. If you're a very "inner person" and always constantly thinking about why you're doing things, this course is pretty good for that.
5. Very non-detailed orientated.
6. NO JARGON

I never did super well in any courses, but psych 3vv3 happen to hit a nerve with my learning style. So in conclusion, if you want something completely different and/or perhaps you're not doing so hot in school right now, take psych 3vv3. It actually made me want to go into grad school for experimental psychology. I do caution though, this is no means a "bird course". You can check out the final exams questions to see what I mean by "different".

Last edited by Grover : 04-17-2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Font stylizing will not take effect in the thread title. Removed for a cleaner look.

xo.monica likes this.
Old 04-17-2012 at 12:22 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I suggest you take what you wrote here, organize it a bit more (follow a template of an existing course review), and submit it as a course review!

Cool stuff.
Old 04-17-2012 at 03:41 PM   #3
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Whoa. That review has actually made me waver towards this course. I was all ready to steer clear of it, but it sounds pretty cool. o___o
Old 04-17-2012 at 03:56 PM   #4
killza

IT REALLY IS!! It's really really geared well to people who can make analogies out of pretty much anything. I'd even go as far as saying how well you do in this course is highly dependent on how well you can make analogies. I know people who had a REALLY hard time with this course. O ya, I forgot to add, the work load for this course is also pretty light!

Basically, its a very very easy course if you can make analogies out of anything. At the same time, it's extremely hard if you have a hard time making analogies. I happened to have an innate ability to make analogies. The course content also happened to suit my curiosity. When those two things combined together, I got extremely interested in cognitive research. I ended up doing a individual research project (pnb 3qq3) with one of his grad students and I'm going to be in his lab during the summer too. Also, I'm gonna be doing my thesis with him next year too!

On a related note, the second semester course, his lab course has a pretty heavy work load. He's also not exactly the easiest marker in the world either.

Faer says thanks to killza for this post.

Watoko likes this.
Old 04-17-2012 at 08:02 PM   #5
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

I wish I had that moment where I realize what I'm going to do with my life...

Faer, J. Dorey like this.
Old 04-17-2012 at 10:14 PM   #6
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Does somebody want a sweet TA job?
Old 04-17-2012 at 10:47 PM   #7
MacNeuro

Liked: 76 Times

Wish I had a TA job :(
Old 04-17-2012 at 10:53 PM   #8
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

examitis - a condition brought on by lack of sleep, excess consumption of caffeine, and thoughts of possible failure.

symptoms include: forgetting how to ride a damn bike and cutting me off every time I'm walking around campus, and making life changing conditions...

just kidding, congratulations on finding your passion. But seriously did everyone forget how to ride a bike sensibly?
Old 04-17-2012 at 11:06 PM   #9
killza

haha, unfortunately, there are no TA positions for this course available for undergrads.
Old 04-17-2012 at 11:25 PM   #10
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

ahh I was gonna take this course this year but it was full :(

Old 04-18-2012 at 10:00 AM   #11
N.Cheng

Liked: 20 Times

Ah I was planning to take this course perhaps next year in my fourth year. I'm pretty interested in memory processes/cognition so it's glad to see some really good reviews for this course.